Detention

Right after class, I hesitantly push myself towards Mr.Smythes room for detention with spite weighing on my shoulders.  I felt terrible with no explanation and it mentally hurt.  I'll fucking get over it.  I have to man up.  I can't be a baby.  I'm already gay.  That's enough, I'm already just a stupid faggot.  I just need to tough it out.

I strolled into the room, plopped my bag down onto the desk, and proceeded to sit and lay my head on it.  This is going to suck.  I'm just tired and want to close my eyes for ten minutes.  Just ten minutes, I ask...  So I close my eyes.

"Hey, Keith!" Lance shouts cheerfully as he plopped into the seat next to me.  I glared at him  and sighed.  Alright, never mind then...

"Hey, Lance..."

"You all good buddy...?" He asked with some kind of look in his eyes that made my heart drop and flutter.  No.

I nodded.  "Yeah.  Sorry, really.  I'm just exhausted."

"It's okay.  I hope we get let out early today.  We have Mr.Smythe, and he's usually pretty generous.  I need to bring my little sister and brother to their dentist appointment.  I hope he gets to the room soon." Lance seemed soft and gentle as he talked about his siblings.

"You have siblings?  I asked trying to initiate conversation a bit.  This is really weird.

His face lit up as mine reddened with a small smile.  "Yes!  They're my entire world!  There's my older siblings; Luis, Marco, Veronica, and Rachel.  The there's my younger siblings Luna and Jonas.  Not to mention my basically-immediate-family niece and nephew Nadia and Silvio, Luis and his wife Lisa's children.  My grandpa live's with us too, we just call him Pop-Pop.  He's also the best.  Can't forget the wonderful women who made most of us though.  She's the kindest most accepting mother I've ever met."

Keith smiled at how happy Lance was while talking about his family, but couldn't help but have a little bit of sorrow laced in it.  He really did wish he had a family.

"What about you're father?"

"Oh, him?  He wasn't around much when I was younger, but when he finally came around again he didn't like me being bi.  So needless to say my mom booted that pendeja out.  My mom's one bombass single lady now.  Probably one of our favorite songs to listen to together is Single Ladies by Beyonce.  Beyonce's our girl, man."

Keith suddenly felt a bit bad.  "Oh- sorry.  Did it hurt?"

Lance sighed.  "If I'm being honest, it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.  Only a little pinch.  He honestly didn't mean that much to me.  He was barely there, and when he was he didn't even accept me.  He can suck it."

Keith laughed a little.

"What about you, Keith?"

The mood suddenly dropped as Keith began to gaze downwards.  His hands clenched the sides of the desk.

"Just great."

Lance felt as if he intruded into something more personal and cleared his throat a bit.  It was obvious that his family life wasn't 'just great', but he wasn't planning on shoving it any further.  He just wanted Keith to feel comfortable.

Mr.Smythe then walked in.  Perfect timing, Jesus Christ.

he then shuffled his folders and cleared his throat a bit as he sat down in the desk.

"I'm going the be honest with you boys.  It's written in the Coran Hieronyous Wimbleton Smythe name.  Honesty is policy.  The fight was outside my room and I was watching through my window the entire time.  It was actually quite entertaining; I even had popcorn.  That other boy was cruel, and the black haired boy obviously had a bad day and technically didn't start it.  Then the brown haired boy only defended the black haired boy.  So feel free to talk, and I'm going to run and get coffee.  Coran isn't a gorgeous man while he's droopy and tired!  I haven't slept in weeeekkksss!  Whooo, it's on.  Goodbye, boys!"  He then took the last swig of his coffee and walked out of his room with confidence.