I Call Bull

An:// my grandma passed yesterday and was sick for the past week so that's why my updates have been so infrequent. I've been working on my writing as it comes. Please bear with me during this time//

I felt a pleasant surprise overtake me as I stepped into the dusky building that seemed eerie from the outside. The ambiance of the inside decor did not match its decaying exterior. A woman sat at the front desk with a smile on her face that she sent in our direction. I felt relaxed by her smile as she beckoned towards the three of us to step forward. 

"You're going to love the pit. It's my favorite place of all time. Plus, you will get to meet Denver and Rocky. I'm so excited", Valerie stated in a soft tone next to me excitedly. She reached out to grab my hand as she pushed towards the front desk receptionist. 

"Valerie, Nixon. The usual?", she asked. I looked at the flowers on the front desk with wonder in my gaze. The beautifully vibrant blue flower made her office seem brighter. I wanted to capture the flowers beauty with my paint brush at a later point. "Your friend has to sign in. It's been a while. We missed you here.", she said cheerily.

"Thanks Sharon.", Nixon said in a kind tone. It seemed like Nixon treated a majority of the people around him with kindness. Even when he spoke to Valerie, he was only teasing her in a brotherly manner. When it came to me, he meant every unkind word that he directed my way. 

"Fill this out before you go in.", The blonde woman stated as she handed me a form. It was a consent form, but I didn't understand the reason I needed to consent. I filled it out anyway because I was curious to see what Nixon and Valerie kept talking about. The woman took my form then buzzed the door open to let us through. 

"They're going to be so excited to see you!", Sharon stated excitedly. I stayed next to Valerie as we walked down a long corridor towards our destination. There was nothing on the walls that give away details about that location, but I felt my heart pumping rapidly in my chest. 

Suddenly a door opened so that we were in a special room with different types of toys littering the floor. I stepped into the room after a very eager Valerie who practically jumped inside. I stood behind Valerie as two massive Bulldogs ran this way. The smaller bulldog ran up to Valerie with its tail wagging excitedly. Valerie embraced the dog by patting it tenderly on the ears as it jumped up to lick her. I knew instantly that the dog she was petting was Denver.

The other bulldog who was definitely Rocky sat across the room chewing on a dog toy, but not moving a single muscle in his body. Nixon stood in the corner, but Rocky just sat there shyly gnawing on his bone. It made me think of how shy I used to be, and I really felt an affinity for this big puppy. It reminded me of my puppy, how could I have forgotten about her?

I used to have a spunky boxer who brought joy to everyone she met. I remembered my father standing in the front door with a box in his hand. 'Gabby, I have something for you' he said with a smile on his face. In the box was a baby boxer with a ribbon tied around its neck. I thought she was the cutest little puppy I ever saw in my life at that time. I remembered scooping the puppy up into my arms thinking about the time we would spend together. 

One day the darkness came that took away everything I loved without mercy. It was too painful to think about that dog, so I buried all my thoughts of my sweet Sally in the back of my mind. The memories were so vivid, I wondered if maybe I would start to remember more details about her. I tried to think about our fun times, but my heart started to ache with a heaviness that made me decide to save thoughts of Sally for another time.  I looked at Rocky, even more determined to have him like me, before I started reaching out to the sad looking puppy. 

I stared at the big dog in front of me that reminded of my little Sally. Instead of scaring me, Rocky gave me a warm feeling in my heart, he reminded me of the happy memories of my childhood. I walked over to the dog slowly and approached him with a gentle smile on my face. Rocky began to thump his tail loudly on the carpeting as I ruffled my hands through his fur softly.