The Cabin

AN: I'm in a cottage in the woods this weekend and going to see waterfalls plus climb a mountain tomorrow sorry for any delays. Also this picture was a view of a cabin in the woods I took 3 days ago. Enjoy- author

Samuel was a bastard of the utmost proportion who overstepped boundaries on numerous occasions but he didn't deserve to die. Not that it mattered anymore because his decaying body was laying right over there. I watched the candlelight dancing in the air over as his face cast an abnormal glow over his rotting skin. His face appeared to be contorted as if he were tortured by something sinister before his demise. The storm which had been far away for so long released a flood of rain onto the altar. I saw the lightning strike down on the ground a few beats away from our current location. The candles stopped burning as the cold wind blew on through the forest violently. 

"I think it's time for us to move on to the next destination", Nixon said with worry in his tone. "I don't think it's a good idea to stay here. There's an area by Serenity Falls we can rest", Nixon said with certainty. I forgot that the trio following me on my journey were familiar with the trails. They had spent their earlier years making special memories on these very same trails. i was an outsider with memories that I couldn't put together into a neat picture. It made my heart ache to realize everyone that I was deprived of so many things by the people I loved.

"I think you're right" Valerie said. "It's too late to go far. Were you thinking of that special place by the waterfall", Valerie questioned Nixon. Nixon nodded his head confirming that they were on the same wavelength. I didn't know what to do with myself so letting them take over made the decision easier. No one really wanted to talk as we ventured down a trail towards this 'waterfall'.  I think we had all felt disturbed by the dead body that was rotting behind us. It was pretty hard to think of something to say when the air was crackling with tension. 

I felt my feet begin to ache from all of the walking I had done since this afternoon. I wasn't sure how many miles I had walked but my shoes were scraps at this point. I heard the sound of the water cascading down before I saw the quaint waterfall ahead. I wondered what it would be like to take a dip in that water and breath the salty air. There was a small cottage that looked quite cozy over to the left of the waterfall. It was buried by the mountain trail but we had found shelter from the pouring rain.

Nixon walked over to the cottage grabbing the key from underneath the doormat like he had done this before. As I entered the cottage I was swept away by the interior of the cottage. It looked larger on the inside than it did on the outside. There were pictures all over the cottage that showed Nixon, Skylar, Ember and an older black haired woman standing together. She had crows eyes as she smiled with all her might. I realized this was definitely Nixon's mother in the picture by her bright blue eyes that looked exactly the same. I wanted to ask where Nixon's mother was now, or if she was even alive, but Nixon didn't seem approachable at the moment.

Nixon guided everyone into the living room area then disappear outdoors like a man on a mission. Valerie and Ian waltzed into the place knowing exactly the room they needed to go inside. I was amazed by the wooden staircase that looked like branches tied together. The design of the cabin was made to resemble the woods around us. I looked around the living room with the blend of modern and rustic design. There was a television built into the wall above a gorgeously snug fireplace. At the same time there was an older tea kettle on top of the fireplace with chopped logs by the wall. The floor was covered with an faux animal print rug that blended in with a raggedy looking couch.

"Looks the same as it did when we last came here", Valerie remarked as she went to lay down. Valerie collapsed onto the couch with heavy lidded eyes. "I'm hungry, but I feel like I shouldn't be. Especially since.... Anyway I swear I could eat a cow", Valerie remarked in a irritated tone.

"Worry no more, for Chef Ian is here, ready to fetch some food from the knapsack", Ian said dramatically. He dug into his knapsack then bowed his arm out dramatically. "For you my dear sister. To help lighten our moods let me offer you this lovely peanut butter sandwich", Ian said in his normal bantering mood. Valerie hugged her brother tightly in response as if afraid to let go of him. It was understandable given the likelihood that we were in danger of something sinister.

"Ian. Thank you", she said as tears clouded her eyes. I watched her munch on her peanut butter sandwich like it was her last meal. "Rowen. Ian and Nixon, even though Nixon is out right now. I'm glad you are the people I get to share this meal with tonight. Lets make it to the end together", Valerie said as she patted my back gently. I looked into her eyes to see something deep in them I couldn't grasp.

Valerie was an enigma who always seemed to know the right thing to say. I wished I had her confidence to face the future without fear but I was too unsure. I was afraid that my life would come crumbling to pieces when I learned the truth.

"To friendships", Ian said as he pulled out a sandwich for me. I grabbed the sandwich with a wide smile then proceeded to scruff it down. I was starving plus I needed to conserve my energy so I could be ready for tomorrow.

Nixon returned from the violent storm outside looking sullen. He was carrying some firewood that he tossed onto the floor with minimal effort. I wanted to comfort him but I didn't know what to say to make him happy.

"Ian and I are going to bed. Right Ian", Valerie said as she stared down her brother with her intense gaze. Ian nodded his head as he stifled a yawn unwilling to argue. The two of them settled onto opposite sides of the couch lazily. They turned the television on giving me no room to argue.

"I should go talk to Nixon. Night guys", I said as I waved to them. They both waved back smiling like they knew something secretive. It was quiet in the cabin but I followed him to the other room like we were connected by the red string of fate. Nixon was huddled in the corner with his head in his hands looking at the picture from the other room.

"Rowen", Nixon murmured as he stared longingly at me. "I've always wanted to bring you here to show you the cabin I grew up in. My mom is traveling with my half brother and her new mate but come next summer she will meet you", Nixon said firmly. I wished that I knew for certain I would be here next year. 

"I may only have tomorrow", I told him honestly. We looked at each other listening to the sound of quiet. "The storm's passed. Let's take a midnight stroll. We may only have one night to spend alone before it's all over", I told him in a somber tone. I wanted to share this special bond with him even if it didn't last forever.

"I thought you would never ask", Nixon said as he swept me into his strong arms. The night was still young with plenty left for us to talk about.