12

Wednesday September 23rd

-tatum-

"So I heard from Tate's trig teacher today about her grades and she's doing great. I'm so proud of you." My mom smiled as we ate dinner.

"Keep up the great work, hun." My dad said.

"Thanks and I will. How's work been dad?" I asked.

He looked at my mom and stayed silent.

"Um is everything okay?" Imogen asked.

"Yes in fact everything is great." My dad said.

"So what's with the awkward wave of silence?" I asked putting down my fork.

"Hun, you have to tell them." My mom said.

"Mom, what's going on?!" I asked getting impatient.

"Well you see... work was amazing today because I got a job offer." He smiled.

"That's amazing." Imogen said.

"Yeah it is, it pays for all of our traveling & personal expenses and I start making $800,000 a year. It also pays for you guys to go to a really good boarding school and pays for your tuition in college as well." He said.

"Dad that's great, but I'm not going to boarding school." I said.

"I know. Imogen won't be going either but there's a con in all of this. I'll be in Japan for a year working with them to close business deals and agreements." He said.

The table fell silent,

"But what about us?" Imogen asked.

"You guys could come and visit for your breaks and I'll be able to come home sometimes and visit for a few days/ weeks at a time."  He said.

"But dad-" I started to tear up.

"Hey don't be sad, Tate. I'm here now and I don't leave for another week and a half. You can come visit whenever you want." He said.

I smiled at him,

"I'll take you up on it. Don't let us hold you back."

"You're not. And I'm hoping to be able to celebrate your 17th with you." He said.

"It's okay if you're not. We can always celebrate when you come and visit." I smiled.

He held my moms hand and smiled.

"Hey, I love you three, okay?" He smiled.

"I love you too, dad." Imogen said.

"Love you too." I smiled.

My mom kissed his cheek,

"It's getting late, so let's clean up and go get some ice cream." My mom said.

"I call driving!" I yelled.

"No I do!" My mom said.

"Ladies there's only one way to settle this: Let me drive." He said.

"No way!" we said in sync.

"Okay the only fair way to settle this is a very intense game of rock, papers, scissors. Best 2 out of 3." Imogen said.

Long story short, I ended up losing and my mom drove there and my dad drove back.

"Mom, since I did great on the test... I was going to ask if I could go to the beach with the girls tomorrow?" I asked on the drive home.

"Did you get in all your work?" My mom asked.

"Yes, I stayed in at lunch and during my free period. If anything, I got ahead." I said.

"Well then, I don't see why not." She said.

"Mom, why do you always let Tatum do things like that? She literally is almost never home." Imogen complained.

"Yeah she is. Your sister goes grocery shopping when your father and I can't, picks you up and drops you off at school, takes you to workouts. She does a lot which is why I let her go out a lot." My mom said.

"Ugh! That's so not fair!" Imogen whined.

"Imogen, we don't let you do anything because you don't act your age, your attitude genuinely stinks and you are really fucking disrespectful." My dad said.

Imogen stayed quiet,

"Maybe you should go to boarding school." He added.

"No. I think I'll pass." She said.

"See? That's the shit I'm talking about. And it's not up to you." My dad said.

"How come Tate got to say she's not going and she didn't get crap for it?" Imogen asked.

"She's old enough to make her own choices and we trust her enough that she will make good ones. You're a kid. So act like it." My mom chimed in.

We got out of the car and walked in with Imogen groaning and huffing,

"YOU GUYS NEVER TREATED ZANDER, ELLIOT AND SKYLAR LIKE THIS!" Imogen yelled.

"IMOGEN CHANDLER EVANS ENOUGH OUT OF YOU GO TO YOUR ROOM NOW!" My dad yelled.

She stomped up to her room and slammed the door,

"What the fuck has gotten into that girl?!" my mom groaned.

"Since when did she need to bring the twins and Elliot into this?" I asked.

"I don't know but I'm done with her shit. She's going to that boarding school. Maybe she'll learn some respect there." My dad said.