Chapter 4: Broken Hearts

"Leon?" Violetta called out in disbelief. Without thinking twice she sprinted after him into the darkness, where she could barely see a foot in front of her.

"Violetta, stop!" Diego yelled. "He isn't worth any of your attention! He's hurt you so much in the past, so just leave him be."

Even with her boyfriend desperately calling after her, she refused to stop running, she needed to find Leon to make things right again.

_______________________________

His feet sounding in an intense, steady rhythm on the pavement, Leon tried to stop his body from shaking due to the anger and deep sadness that he felt at the moment. The feeling of heartache that washed over him was even worse than what he experienced when Francesca told him that Violetta had moved on.

How could I have been so foolish to think that she would want me back, he thought angrily.

Just then, he heard a female voice calling his name in the distance. Confused, he looked around, yet only saw the pitch black sky and a lonely streetlight that stood a few metres away.

"Leon!" a voice called out in desperation. "Please just let me explain!"

A dainty figure ran up to the lamppost and stood hunched over, trying to catch her breath. Her chestnut brown hair caught the glow of the light as she stood up, wiping her eyes.

Finding the courage to approach her, Leon cautiously made his way towards her.

"Violetta?" he quietly asked in a slightly raspy voice.

"Leon!" Violetta said, looking surprised. "I found you! Look, I can explain everything that you saw, just please listen to me."

"There's nothing to explain, Violetta, you're with Diego now. You've clearly moved on and forgotten about me, but do you even know how much you hurt me because of what happened tonight?"

"I'm sorry, did I hear you right? I'm the one who hurt you? Do you recall breaking up with me and leaving for two years? When you left, I was so hung up over you that I didn't want to do anything, but when I met Diego it was like my whole world had fallen back into place—"

"Yeah, I know! You don't need to tell me how much you love Diego." Leon interrupted. "I thought that we could pick up things from where we left off when I got back, but once again, I'm proven wrong. I thought that you would be happy to see me after the past two years..."

"H-how can you be s-so selfish?" Violetta stammered, shaking her head as she spoke.

Leon turned his head away, as if her words had slapped him across the face.

"You left me when I needed you the most, you didn't answer my calls, texts or emails. And now you're blaming me for being happy with someone that isn't you."

"Look Violetta, I—"

"No! This time you can't make up an excuse for what you did to me." she said, with tears brimming in her eyes. "But you know what Leon? Why do you even care if I'm with Diego or not? You clearly don't love me anymore. The way you're treating me right now just goes to show that you stopped caring about me two years ago, when you moved across the world!"

"You know that's not true. I love you so much that I left my music career back in the U.S. so that I could care for you and be with you..." Leon said, his tone softening.

Shaking his head in disbelief and disappointment and his brown eyes filled with remorse, he turned around and started slowly waking away. But this time, Violetta didn't go after him.

She couldn't believe that out of anger she had called him selfish, when she knew that he was the exact opposite of that. While Leon's last words echoed through her head, a great wave of pain hit her headfirst. He had come all this way to just to be with her, when he could have easily stayed in the U.S.

But the realization that had brought her the most pain was that deep down, she still loved Leon more than anyone in the entire world.