Chapter 8: By My Side

"Good morning, Vilu! Did you sleep well, my love?" Herman cheerfully asked his daughter.

"Morning, dad. And no, I got no sleep whatsoever," Violetta replied tiredly, as she smoothed down her skirt.

"My darling, what's wrong? You've been down for the past week,"

"Well, Diego and I br—" she started to say just as someone knocked on the front door.

"I'll get it," Herman said, standing up from the table.

As her dad swung the door open, Leon stood with his hand poised in mid-air, ready to knock again. He quickly dropped his hand by his side, and politely greeted Herman.

"Good morning, sir," Leon said.

"Good morning too you too, Leon. What are you doing here this early?" Herman asked, confused.

"Well, I was wondering if I could spend the day with Vilu. Is she home?"

"Leon!" Violetta rushed to greet him, and kissed his cheek. She wanted to avoid any possible problems that would most likely arise if her dad answered Leon's question for her. "I don't have any plans for today, so what do you have in mind?"

Violetta leisurely walked out the door with Leon, shouting a 'good-bye' at her surprised father, who was watching them leave together.

________________________________

Leon casually put his arm around Violetta's shoulder, as they walked together in complete silence. He could sense that something was wrong with her, as she always was talking about something, but today, she was rather quiet and gloomy.

"Vilu, what's wrong?" Leon asked, his brown eyes kindly scanning her face for an answer.

"I met up with Diego yesterday..." she replied vaguely.

"And that's why you're sad?" Leon questioned, obviously confused.

The second he said that, Violetta burst into tears, not able to keep them in for a second longer. She sat down on a nearby bench, and put her head in her hands, while Leon patiently waited for her to explain.

When her tears finally ceased, she took a deep breath and said, "Diego broke up with me, because he hates that I haven't forgotten about you."

"Oh, Vilu, I'm so sorry. But please don't cry, he most certainly isn't worth your tears," Leon kindly stated as he pulled her into a hug. "You don't deserve to suffer like this."

"Yes I do, Leon," Violetta replied, her eyes, once again, filling with tears. "I hurt him through how I just couldn't forget about you even after he had patiently helped me for a year, and when I told him that I still loved you. But the thing that probably hurt him the most is how I just left him there, so I could run after you when he proposed to me."

Leon took her tear-stained, yet beautiful face in his soft hands, his eyes assuring Violetta that everything would be all right, and communicated to her that he would always be there for her.

In the stillness of the moment, they both slowly leaned towards each other and let their lips meet in a passionate kiss. When they finally pulled away, their foreheads still touching, Violetta smiled for the first time in days.

"Thank you for always being by my side, through the good times and the bad ones," she whispered to Leon.

"There's no need to thank me, Vilu. I just want you to know how much I care for you." he said, as they leaned in for yet another kiss.