9 - My Monsters and Their Monsters

Virgil's POV

After what happened last night, I barely got any sleep. The other heroes would hate me more now.... I thought as I walked through the school gates. I was pretty early, so I decided to stop by the nurse's office to talk. I knew Patton would be hanging out with Logan, and I wanted my ship to sail.

"Hey Virgil! You didn't start another fight did you?" The nurse said.
"Nope, not this time," I replied, sitting my backpack down on a nearby chair.
"So, what do you need?"
"Nothing. I just wanted to talk."
"Just talking eh? Well I'd be happy to have some company around here, other than the kids who come here just to fake being sick."

We talked for a while, and I learned that her husband had served in the U.S. Navy, and that she knows Kendo, a sword-based martial art.

"How'd you learn that?" I asked her, surprised that she knew something like that. But now that I look at her, I could see that she was in fact very fit.
"My father used to own a place that taught it. I basically lived there."
"Hey, if it's no bother, I know someone who could use a few lessons about how to use a sword."
"Oh! Yes! I would be glad to teach them!"
"Their name is Roman Prince. But if he asks who knows that they are learning how to use a sword, tell them it was from Anx."
"Got it. I like keeping secrets."
"Do you have any prices?"
"You can pay me when it's done," the nurse added with a wink. (Wink woink)

I left the office and into the yard area that was separating the hallways. There was a crowd, and people were shouting. Oh no, is a fight going on? I hope not. But to my dismay, there was as I raced to see what was going on. Nononononononono. I pushed through the crowd to see.....

Roman and Patton.

Well, Patton was on the floor and Roman was fighting another guy. Roman must've stepped in and stopped the other dude from beating up Patton. Oh, why wasn't I here, I could've prevented this! I go into the depths of the crowd and reach out to Patton to try and get him out of there. He took my hand and I pulled him out of the fight circle. No one was trying to help, and I needed to do something. Teachers weren't even out here, and the fight would probably keep going if it wasn't stopped by students, or teachers. In the middle of the crowd, I shot a small blast of magic at the guy Roman was fighting. It was aimed at his head, just to knock him out painlessly. It hit him, and he collapsed to the floor. Everyone saw the magic, but didn't know who had shot it. Roman looked around to see who had done it, angry that he couldn't knock the living daylights out of the guy. I turned back to Patton to see Logan supporting him. I walked up to Roman and dragged him out of the scene.

"Hey, what the hell are you doing, you emo!?"
"Ouch. I'm just doing you a favor."

We arrived at the hallway where our first class is at.

"So what's dragging me out of the situation going to do? It's also not helping that I barely know you!"
I smirked for a second, then went back to my regular expression. "Tell me what happened."
"Ugh, fine. I was walking down the hallway and I saw this guy threatening Patton and he hit him, so I jumped in. I was once told that I should never run into something without analyzing the situation first. I did."
"Not. But okay."
"Shut up!"
"Make me bitch," I said, dragging out the last word.
Roman just laughed, and I let out a small chuckle.

...

Roman's POV

It was now lunch, and I grabbed my food and looked around. Logan must be at the library with Patton again. They should get together. I sat at the table with my theater friends and some of my old football friends. I noticed the Dark Overlord TM sitting beside the wall. He was keeping to himself and looked lost in thought. I looked over at the douche table and saw that they were pointing and laughing at Virgil. He looked as if he didn't see them, but it was obvious he knew. I decided not to cause a scene, but I didn't want to stir up any more trouble. It was still saddening to sit there and watch. I had the feeling I should do something, but I've already caused Virgil hassle when he helped me get out of the fight area. If I were to do something, it would probably embarrass Virgil. But I kept glancing back at him, checking on the guy. He was visibly shaking, and his face was shadowed by his hood.

"Hey Roman, have you heard of the musical the school is doing?" A girl said, snapping me back to the table.
"No, I haven't. What's it about?"
"It's a story the school made. It's a love story between two people, but can't be together or something like that. I haven't really looked at it, but I grabbed a flyer if you're interested, Roman."
"Oh, thank you! I'll be sure to look at it!" I said, taking the flyer.

I stuffed the paper into my bag. I'll look into it at home. I glanced back at where Virgil was sitting to see that he wasn't there. I looked back at the 'bullies' table and one of them was gone as well. Oh no. I excused myself and went into the nearest bathroom, kinda hoping and not hoping that I would find them there.

I slowly walked in, making sure not to make any sound. I saw Virgil pinned to the wall, shaking and crying. The other guy was laughing. Laughing. Virgil looked as if he had been punched in the face, and he probably has.

"Is that all you got? What about last time? What happened Virgil?" The guy sneered.
Last time?
"I don't want....to hurt anyone..." Virgil said, rather weakly.
"Ha! That's hard to believe, since you were so eager to knock out my friend earlier!"
"I needed to, otherwise he might've gotten hurt...."
"No, you weren't worried about him, you were worried about that playboy Roman!"
"..."
"That's what I thought. He doesn't give a shit about you, and you know that! Why even try!?"
"Because......"
"What? You need a friend? Because Patton is never there for you?"
I had to be honest, it was weird that Virgil took a liking to me, out of all people.
"Or is it because you like him? But you know you will never happen, because you are a villain, the bad guy."

Virgil's eyes suddenly grayed, then blackened. What the hell? I needed to do something. Uh, uh.....

"You aren't the bad guy! When the fight happened, you stopped things from escalating! Um," I said.

Virgil's eyes flickered back and forth between his regular eye color and black. It looked as if he was fighting himself, clutching his head and stumbling around the bathroom. The other guy bolted out of there as soon as he saw his eyes. I stayed there though, hoping I could be something of support. Only then I heard whispers.

"Bad guy...."
"Villain.."
"Killer..."

What was happening!? I didn't know what to do, except just stand there, watching. Virgil kept looking back at me, when his eyes were regular. He looked as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't.

"It's wrong! You are a great person! You always look for the best way to deal with things! You would never hurt someone unless you absolutely had to!" I yelled, hoping that would help Virgil. I was lost,but I hope saying the opposite things would help...

A teacher burst into the bathroom, presumably after hearing me shout.

"What is going on in here!?" The teacher looked at me and then to Virgil.
"I don't know!"
The teacher looked at Virgil, his eyes still flickering. It was something I had never seen before, and I don't think the teacher had any clue either. We were just standing there, not knowing what to do, until Virgil collapsed.

"Virgil!" I yelled, rushing over to him, the teacher right beside me.
"I'll rush him over to the nurse, you go to my room so you can explain what happened," the teacher said, giving me directions to his classroom.

I nodded, and walked over to the teacher's classroom. Only then I realized I was shaking. Was I that worried? It must be his classes' lunch period. I didn't recognize this teacher, he was probably new.

(Heyo, it's ya alpaca boi here, leaving this chapter on a weird note, I guess. Welp, that's good enough.
Also, thank you guys for 100 reads! I didn't expect this to happen, but I kinda did, since I'm making a story. But thank you guys a lot!

1468 words)