17 - Beach Day!

Virgil's POV

I looked myself in the mirror, preparing. Preparing for the stares that I will get. I was wearing a jacket right now, but I can't swim in that. I couldn't wear makeup either, it'll just wash off and leave a stain along with it. I didn't realize how dark the circles under my eyes have gotten, or how my freckles have appeared. I sighed as I heard a honk from outside my door. Logan had said that I would be the last one he'd pick up, so everyone was now waiting on me. I grabbed my backpack that I had prepared the night before.

"Finally, I thought you would never come out," Roman said sarcastically, as usual.

I snickered at what he had said.

"What are you laughing at you raccoon!?" Roman flushed.

"Let's just get going," Logan said, pinching the bridge of his nose. He hated our 'pointless bickering', as he liked to praise it. I personally think that it was fun to stir up Roman just a little bit. Patton and Roman commented on my freckles, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still a bit embarrassing though. Heck, anything was pretty embarrassing to me. I am like the embodiment of anxiety or something.

I didn't realize how fast my heart was beating  until we reached the beach. Everyone was getting out of the car, and I was still trying to calm down. I was fine yesterday, why now!? 

"You'll be fine kiddo, I promise." I looked up at Patton, who put his hand on my shoulder. He gave me a big smile. "I fight anyone who dares say anything." 

He was strangely calm, and it scares me. Maybe Patton is more intimidating than I thought.

"O-okay."

I stepped out of the car, now truly feeling just how hot it was. Now out of the parking lot and on the sand, the sun was beating down more than ever. Logan probably knew this from the news or something. I can hear him right now: "It's because I plan, unlike you".

I hesitantly took off my jacket, and then my shirt. It felt weird to be this 'exposed' after everything. My constant hidden identity, and all the jackets and long sleeve shirts I wear to cover my more, 'cowardly' days, it was definitely unnerving. And Logan and Roman don't know about the cuts yet.

"Virgil!? What the heck are those!?" Roman exclaimed. I should've seen it coming.

"It's a past thing, don't worry about it."

"How can I!?" Logan stayed quiet, but he was sympathetic.

"Don't make it a big deal, I don't do it anymore."

"Alright I guess. But if I see you doing it again, I will fight you."

"And so will I." Patton suddenly appeared behind me, his hand on my shoulder again. Yikes.

"So, are we going to swim or what?" Logan said, feet in the water.

"Heck yeah!" Roman said, running past me, Patton following close behind. I quickly threw my shoes off and ran after them.

Patton threw himself at Logan, effectively knocking him over as a wave passed over them. Logan and Patton surfaced soon, and Logan seemed a bit annoyed at first, but then softened as Patton started giggling. It was hard to stay mad at Patton. 

"Virgil, come on get in the water!" I heard Roman call.

"Coming!" I yelled back.

I stepped into the cold water, and eventually ran in, my anxiety easing. I went fully underwater, and flipped my hair back as I surfaced. I haven't gone to the beach in years, it was refreshing. Soon we were caught up in a huge splash off, and surprisingly Logan joined in. Usually he would tell us that we could get salt water in our eyes or something. Heck I don't know why he even recommended we go to the beach. Maybe Patton has changed him a bit. It was a nice change. I mean, he was still, Logan, but, with more emotion.