Chapter Two ➳ First Day of College

Anika

I grudgingly grab my bag as I make my way out of the front door. Looking back to grab a granola bar, I catch my father looking at me deliriously, eyeing me down as I make each and every step. Why is he acting like I'm a criminal that needs to be watched every second?

Shaking my head in disappointment, I close the door. The calm breezy air hits my face as a weak smile appears very slowly. All I managed to wear today is a sweater that says a quirky remark and black leggings on the bottom with my favorite tan-colored Uggs. I push my glasses up to the bridge of my nose as I push my hair aside. Time to go to the first day of senior year of college. Yippee.

My Honda Accord beeps three times as I open the front door. I climb into the driver's seat and start the car, letting the radio play the Top 40 hits. Closing my eyes, I lean my head back on my headrest, preparing myself for the long day that is to come, and by 'long day' I mean dealing with immature college students and cranky professors that hand assignments out like confetti.

It's pretty safe to say that college has been, well, a very uncomfortable environment for me. Not only are the classes difficult as hell and keep me up basically all night, but I also have literally no friends in college. Mostly because a majority of them scrunch their nose up at me whenever their beady little eyes land on my figure.

The only friends that I have managed to keep are basically two. One is a shy girl that is in my biology class, otherwise known as Emily. My other close friend is Tyler, who is also shy and also very gay. He basically crushes on very straight guy out there, even though I basically plead for him to actually like a gay guy for once. But both of them managed to be friends with me since freshmen year of college, and we're doing great!

Except the fact that everyone picks on us.

I guess it's because of our brainy personality and how neither one of us has the guts to spark any sort of conversation. Emily and Tyler always stay in the corner, always wanting nothing to do with speaking or impersonating any sort of socializing whatsoever. But I... I want to socialize. I want to be part of conversations and have many friends.

Why else would I go to a club and have a really hot Indian guy feeling me up?

My cheeks warm as I think of the guy who boldly laid his hands on me and how we danced around in such an... explicit way. I mean, who knew I had the capacity to even talk to a guy like that, a good-looking one at least? And not just good-looking... Lord, that boy made my insides turn to mush just having a quick little glance at him.

But I know he's way out of league for me. Whoever he was dancing with yesterday night... was definitely not me. That was the inner me. The inner me that has been longing to get out of her cave and unleash herself. Let her college know that she is not to be messed with and she is not just that shy and smart girl that can barely utter a simple 'hello.'

But I know I can't act all bold and mighty as I was at that club, here in college. Here I am known as the brainiac, being top of my class. Hell, I even correct my professors sometimes! There's no way I can land a guy like him, no way.

Sighing to myself, I reverse out of the driveway and drive to UCLA, letting my windows down as the cool Californian air hits my face.

Shaurya

"Wake up, ya sleepy head! We have class in an hour, for God's sake!"

"Shut up, Mom," I grumble, pulling the pillow to cover my head as the sunlight annoyingly approaches on my face.

"Um, first of all, I'm Nathan... definitely not your Mom," he shudders, snatching the pillow away. Groaning, I get up and moan, "What the hell was that for?"