Chapter Nine ➳ Shaurya's Plan

Shaurya

I watch my mom walk back to her car in agony. After the dreadful talk we just encountered, otherwise known as her breaking the news to me that her and my dad are getting a divorce and that she's going to Seattle and that I could come with her if I wanted to, we talked for a little outside after paying the bill. I told her that I had to study for an Economics test tomorrow, so she immediately proposed that she was going to leave so I could start studying as early as possible.

She steps into the Maserati and waves me goodbye. Then, all in slow motion, she reverses from the parking lot and zooms off into the road. For some reason, I don't get a sigh of relief. Instead, I get a sigh of stress.

What am I going to do?

I don't want my mom to leave us, going all the way to Seattle. And I want to go with her, but I can't just abandon my life here in Oakland. My friends, college life, Nathan, Anika...

I shake my head in despair. Flinging the car keys into my hand, I saunter over to my car and beep it thrice. The door opens up as I step inside of the car. Once the engine starts up, the voice recognition acknowledges that it is actually me who is inside of the car, which is pretty neat, and begins the system. Then, I reverse from the parking lot, turn the radio up, pull the windows down, and let the wind take me away.

For the entire car ride, the only thoughts that appear in my mind is my mom and her moving to Seattle due to the divorce her and my father are encountering. I actually thought they were doing so good, though. They rarely argue or do anything suspicious.

But then again, divorces don't just happen from arguments. As my mom had stated, things just weren't clicking between them. It was nothing aggressive or violent, it was just something that didn't fit in, like puzzle pieces.

I understand, though, unbelievably. I don't want my happiness to interact with theirs; this is their divorce.

The sun beats down on my forehead as I park into the parking lot in front of my apartment. It's gonna feel weird going back to my old house and comparing it to this small, yet amazing apartment. They're just on completely different sides of the spectrum.

I grab my bag sitting on the passenger seat and close the door behind me, locking the car. As the sunlight glares against the silver hood of my Mercedes, I walk to my apartment door. The key fits into the hole as I twist it open. Nathan is doing pull ups on top of the door frame, where the pull-up bar fits idly against the two corners of the upper door frame.

"21, 22, 23, 24..." he grunts to himself as his sweaty back faces me. I raise my eyebrows as Nathan struggles to get his chin to the bar. "25!" he breathes out. Then, he jumps to his feet and turns around to face me. He jumps a little, placing a hand on his chest. "Dude, you scared me."

"Sorry for scaring you," I mumble. "But 25 pull-ups? That's improvement."

"Thanks," he beams. "I've been trying to get into shape lately."

"Gee, I wonder why," I smirk, sitting down on the coach. He rolls his eyes as he comes up to me and smacks my cheek lightly. I wince as he enunciates to me, "I am working out for the liking of me and me only, okay?"

"Alright," I mumble. "So, are you saying that you're not working out for Emma?"

"Y-yes," he stutters, placing the white towel around his neck. Then, he takes a deep breath. "I haven't seen you working out for a long time."

I shrug. "I don't need to." A smile is placed on my lips as I flex my biceps.

Nathan rolls his eyes. "Yes, we get it. Shaurya Roy, freaking workout God and always get the girls. Blah, blah, blah, my hair's so luscious and blah, blah, blah, I have a melt-worthy smile, blah, blah, blah--"