Chapter Ten ➳ The Awkward Double Date

Anika

"Make sure to study for the exam tomorrow!" Watts hurriedly screeched to us as all the students rushed out of the building. I guess we just wanted to get the hell out of this lecture hall, since we had bearing amounts of stress pressuring us. More like this big ass exam I got for literature tomorrow, which is gonna presumably drop my GPA to a distinctive amount.

I huff to myself as I place my books in my bag. Shaurya and I stand up at the same time as he moves to the side so I can go down the aisle first. But, as soon as I walk by him just by a centimeter or two, he moves directly behind me. And I swear I felt his breath on my hair.

And I also swear I felt my heart skip a beat.

Once we walked out of the lecture hall, Shaurya and I took relieving breaths as he chuckled to himself. "Looks like Satan's Session is over."

"Tell me about it," I breathed out, a huge smile playing on my lips.

We start walking to the cafeteria to have lunch with our friends. We don't exchange words for almost an awkward minute, as we walk shoulder-to-shoulder, side-by-side. I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out because I literally have no idea what to say to him. My eyes wander over to his face, as he looks to the ground, his lips curled into a tiny smile. His jawline is so sharp that I almost wonder that if I put my fingers across it then I would probably get cut.

The cafeteria comes into our sights in the next few minutes as my ears fill up with the sounds of chattering students and silverware clanking against cups, bowls, or plates. I see Ty and Em huddled by one of the tables, but then I see Shaurya's friends huddled on the opposite side. Shaurya and I both look at each other at the same time, distinguishing the fact that both of our friend groups are on opposites sides, and that we're gonna have to switch.

"Well," Shaurya sighs to himself, his eyes looking at me intently. "Looks like our friends are sitting on opposite sides."

"Yeah," I nod my head. "So we should probably..."

"Yeah," he nods his head back, biting his lip nervously. I smile as he smiles back. "I've been having fun with you, Anika," he compliments. I felt my cheeks blush as I replied, "Me too."

He crosses his arms over his chest. "And you should definitely come to my party this weekend. It'd be fun."

"I'll... I'll think about it," I respond, fidgeting with my fingers. He grins as he starts to walk to the cafeteria. "Bye! Talk to you later!"

"Yup!" I say. And before I know it, he's already by his friends.

Well, that was awkward.

I take a deep breath to myself, feeling my heart beat prominently against my chest. My eyes start to wander towards Em and Ty, who look engaged in a conversation. Part of me wants to go and hang out with them, but the other part of me wants to go with Shaurya's friends and hang out with them

I know Em and Ty would be hurt if I didn't hang out with them because we've been close friends since the beginning of college. But, on the other hand, Shaurya would be happy if I hung out with him and his friends, since he genuinely wants to get to know me better.

God, this is so difficult. Is this is how it feels like to have multiple friends?

As I continue to contemplate to myself, I lean my body against the pole beside me. I think about how Shaurya's having a beach party this weekend and how he's inviting me. I mean, me, Anika Desai, the girl that never uttered a word to anyone besides Emily Taylors and Tyler Rivera. It's just so hard to believe how one person could twist my life around and confuse me so much about my decisions. Particularly a very handsome guy that walked into my life almost a week ago.