Chapter Three ➳ Romeo and Juliet

Anika

"How are those tequila shots doing?"

The boy stares at me in surprise, as if he couldn't possibly believe I just uttered those words to him.

Well, you and I are on the same boat.

I think to myself, what the hell, Anika? Did you just say those words to... a cute guy? Words... to a guy itself?

"They're..." he thinks to himself, a smile growing on his lips. "They're doing pretty good."

"That's great," I immediately reply, flashing him a radiant grin.

He looks towards me with a smirk, his eyes studying me immaculately. My cheeks flush just at the acknowledgment that he's eyeing me down, curiously investigating every inch and curve to my body. Just the way he was looking at me like that at the party...

I wonder if he finally realizes that it was me who he explicitly danced with that night. But a part of me does figure out that he does realize it was me, because damn... that way he's looking at me...

Then, he slowly turns to the front, dipping his head down towards his chest as he chuckles lowly. "Literature, huh? You don't really strike me as the literature type of girl."

My heart beats erratically against my chest as he flashes another melt-worthy look towards me. I open my mouth to answer him. "Well, I tend to surprise a lot of people."

"Oh, really?" He raises his eyebrows. God, why is he so hot...?

"Then, I am proud to say that you have completely surprised me as well," he answers, a smile slowly playing on his lips. Oh, God, his lips!

"Interesting," I contemplate to myself. The cute guy takes a compelling look towards me and crosses his arms across his chest. I find my eyes wavering over his lean muscled body-- veins appearing on his forearms and reaching to his biceps-- and how well dressed he is. He seems to be wearing a nice button-down shirt with khaki shorts, his hair neatly brushed, yet still looking cute with a messy touch.

Suddenly, my staring is abruptly interrupted with a slamming of a door. The cute guy and I both jump in surprise as I look down to where the sound occurred. Our professor stands by the door with a stone-cold look to its face. "That's enough socializing time for you guys," she says, her eyes narrowing to us mainly.

"You students are here to learn, not converse with each other," she explains, pacing back and forth at the podium. "Literature in college is not a joke, since English mainly corresponds with it, English being the top spoken language in the world." She pushes her cat-like glasses to the bridge of the nose. "In this class we will be formally studying the forms of William Shakespeare, possibly the greatest artist, writer, and performer in the entire world. We will also go in depth with literature and the history of it, where it has formed and how it has formed." She pauses, shifting her upper body into the podium. "But before we commence with those topics, I shall make sure each and every one of my students are present."

Our professor opens up a tiny binder and clears her throat. "If you hear your name, please respond with 'here' and make sure to speak clearly and loudly," she reforms. "And besides, my name is Shelby Watts, but you may address me by Professor Watts." She takes another quick glance towards us and takes a deep breath. "Hannah Anderson."

As she starts to go down the roll call list, I can't help but think that I am going to know the cute guy's name, and he's going to know mine! I feel my insides fluttering with joy, but I immediately stop myself. Why are you getting your hopes up, Anika? This guy obviously seems way out of your league! Snap out of it!