Chapter Seven ➳ Making New Friends

Shaurya

I wake up with possibly the brightest smile on my face. Just as one would see in a commercial, I graciously pull off my covers, yawn and stretch as I enjoy the glamorous sunlight pouring in from the windows. Then, I pull off my bedsheets off my body and saunter over to the bathroom to take the best shower ever.

You must be wondering, why is Shaurya so happy?

The answer is, well... I might have FaceTimed Anika Desai last night. And not just for a night, but also until five o' clock in the morning.

What I have learned about Anika Desai is that:

1) She wants to become an author

2) She prefers dogs over cats (duh, who doesn't?)

3) She HATES spiders

4) She loves the color purple

5) She is addicted to the TV show 'The Office'

6) If she were given any superpower, then she'd read minds

I look at myself in the mirror, admiring the grin placed on my face. Why am I thinking about her so much? Usually it is the girl that is always thinking about me this much, not the other way around.

Again, why her?

The white towel is wrapped around my lower body, revealing my toned abdomen. My abs glisten against the water droplets as I push my wet, dark hair back, studying my facial features. I was always told that I had the best smile, and other girls have claimed that they fell in love all due to my smile. I mean, what can I say? Girls can't resist me.

I place my hands on my stomach, feeling the curves of my abs. My biceps have veins appearing from every nook and cranny and I press my lips together in a thin line. Taking a deep breath, I take a few steps back from the mirror, placing my hands beside me. The sunlight starts to seep into the bathroom blinds, casting different shades of light on my torso. My skin glows in a golden color.

It took me years and years to carve this body, dealing with endless amounts of working out, stacking up on protein bars, and basically shunning myself from unhealthy carbs. I was very skinny in high school and was always made fun of being a 'stick.' But I got so tired of the taunting that I basically made them regret all the mean things they said to me back in grade school by looking like, well, not a skinny person anymore.

I sigh to myself, grabbing my clothes and quickly wearing them. Today is gonna be a very interesting day, since it's the second day of college, which also means that I will be getting evaluated for all the homework we've been drenched with.

I have to admit, Anika and I discussed and worked on homework for just an hour or two. Once two o' clock came by, we got into the deepest conversations ever. Anika talked about her wonderful memories with her mother and father, but things took a deep dark turn once her mother passed away, mainly with her and her father.

After she talked about her issues, I went and talked about mine. And what's so weird is that I didn't even hesitate to pour my feelings to her. It's as if there's this signal going off above me, saying that I should just trust her and tell her whatever about me. And what's even weirder is that the same 'signal' doesn't go off with me and Nathan or even me and my mother.

Growing up, my mother was someone that I also trusted with all my heart and told her everything. I told her my girl problems and school problems and trusted her not to tell my father because I knew he would get pissed if I focused on anything but school. And me and my mother still talk as much nowadays, but I'm just way too busy to talk to her much these days.