Chapter Twenty-Three ➳ Just Us

Shaurya

In my entire life, all I have ever wanted to do was to just run away.

Run away from my parents, who don't seem to get along anymore and now presume to have a divorce, separating ways. Run away from anything business-related, something that I don't want to pursue a career in because I have no interests whatsoever in becoming a businessman. Run away from this life, this college life that I've been maintaining, me being known as the popular, rich kid that gets all the girls, makes so many friends and has a nice background, yet on the inside he's not even genuinely happy. And run away from my father, who is so toxic to me, makes me want to be something that I have no interest in being, even if it were the last career on earth. He makes me feel worthless if I don't follow in his footsteps or make one goddamn mistake.

But the only person I don't want to run away from is Anika. Which is why I asked her to run away with me.

"What?" Anika breathes out, her expression completely changing. Just a few moments ago, we were engaged in a breath taking and mesmerizing make out session, possibly the best make out session I've ever had. And it wasn't the kissing that was so worthwhile and passionate... it was the girl I was doing it with.

When we kissed, my entire world exploded, in a good way. Fireworks burst, cheers erupted, my heart beat pulsated, my legs felt like jello, and all I wanted to was to stay here, with her... with Anika.

Part of me wants to just ignore everything I said, make Anika ignore everything I said because honestly, I thought about it from the top of my mind without even thinking of what I was about to blurt out. I've never honestly thought about this, but deep down I've always wanted to run away. And to add a cherry on top, run away with the correct person that understands and possibly feels the same way about my idea.

I expected Anika to jump with joy and smile and immediately feel great about my sudden idea, but instead all I saw was the complete opposite. Her lips curled into a straight line, when before it was smiling against my cheek, right after we pulled away from each other because we honestly needed a little breathing break from that intense make out session. Her eyes turned so neutral, when before I swear I saw stars dazzling in those beautiful brown eyes of hers that I could honestly delve into and never look back into this shitty reality otherwise known as life. I felt my heart plummeting to the ground especially when her arms loosened around my waist, which were held so tightly onto me, squeezing my back and running her fingers along my chest.

Why does she look so upset?

Well, maybe because you dropped a bombshell on her. Not many girls expect to hear that you want to run away with them after you guys first kissed.

...Touche.

"I..." my throat starts to clench up as I start to speak. Why is my heart beating so rapidly? I've never felt this nervous in my entire life. I take a deep breath and continue to speak. "I want you to run away with me."

Anika splutters, frustratingly pulling her wet hair back. "Shaurya... why?" she enunciates. "What made you think so randomly of that idea?"

"I don't know," I blurt out. "We were kissing and I guess I got excited and... I got this sudden idea. To run away with you."

"Okay, and how great do you think is that going to work out?" she crosses her arms in front of her chest. "First of all, we are seniors in college. We are about to finish our last year here! You can't just think to run away like that," she whispers. "We still have classes to complete, parties to enjoy and our plain, ordinary life here that we have to work through."

"That's the thing, Anika," I murmur. "I don't want to do all those things. I want to get away from this place. It's too much for me, I need to start fresh somewhere else."