Chapter Nineteen ➳ The Beach Party

Anika

The Californian sun beats down on my head as I scrunch my eyes in frustration, placing my hand against my forehead. Why is it so hot today? I've heard there was a major heat wave coming towards us, right in the end of September which is really weird, and this weekend especially it was going to be blazing outside, as I am experiencing right now.

I notice that Ty and Em have already arrived, since his car is parked against the curb as he honks three times. "Hurry up, Ani! We ain't got all day!"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm comin'," I mumble, starting to walk a little faster as I near his car.

Once I sit down in the back, Ty and Em, who are in the front, turn their heads back as they both squeal. "Ani, you look so hot! Shaurya is coming to MELT when he sees you!"

"Thanks, even though that's not my main objective," I chuckle, setting my hair aside.

"Uh huh, sure honey," Ty smirks. He looks at the front again and sighs. "Well, let's get this show on the road!" Em bursts out laughing and turns the radio all the way up, blasting the top 40 pop hits of today. I notice that Em's luscious red hair is pulled into a cute loose bun and she seems to be wearing a neon pink bikini. Ty, on the other hand, is wearing ocean blue swim trunks with a gray shirt on the top and sunglasses perched on my forehead. Speaking of sunglasses, I'm so glad I brought those!

Once we get out of my neighborhood, Em blurts out, "So, Ty... how's your love life going?" She nudges Ty on the shoulder and he groans. "It's not even going anywhere. I mean, obviously Jake and I are over because of, well, what I did the other day..." he trails off. "Anyways, that's not my point! My actual point is that, the other guy I made out with, he completely ignored me the other day and it really bothers me," he huffs out.

"It'll be okay, Ty," I lean forward and sooth him by rubbing his arm. "I'm sure you'll find an amazing man very soon."

Once he stops at the red traffic light, he turns back and gleams at me. "You should be lucky that you're one of my best friends because I would've stolen Shaurya a long time ago."

A broad smile grows on my lips as I roll my eyes. Em snorts and adds, "Yeah, if he was actually gay!"

Ty opens his mouth to protest. "You never know, okay!"

Em and I burst out in laughter as Ty death glares back at us. The stop light turns green as Ty presses on the accelerator, setting the car forward.

I start to look out of the window, taking in the views. The bright blue sky, the sun pointing at us with its rays, replenishing us with warmth. There are houses perched on the sidewalks, some of them huge and some of them elegant. Oakland is probably one of the richest counties in California, mainly due to the doctors and the businessmen living here.

About 15-30 minutes later, we reach our destination. We would've arrived here not even in 10 minutes, but since there's so much traffic here, it takes a couple extra minutes. Ty parks the car in the parking lot, where it seems as if the entire parking lot is full at this point. The beach is always filled with people every single day but today there may be more because of Shaurya's party.

Em, Ty, and I get out of the car, the heat immediately casting on my face. "God damn, it's so hot outside," Em mumbles, fanning her face. "Tell me about it," I breathe out. "Did you guys bring some extra water bottles?"

"Of course I did," Ty motions to his bag. "Without it, we'd be dehydrated before you can say 'dehydration'."

Em snorts and leads us to the boardwalk. I hear people chattering and the waves crashing onto the sand. There seem to be at least 10-20 people hoarded by a side on the beach, food and drinks set on a table and some guys playing beach volleyball.