The Golden Couple

Chapter 2: The Golden Couple-

    "Annabeth..." The savior of Olympus was at a loss for words. Annabeth Chase sat in front of him, her gray eyes glittering with curiosity.  They were like the calm before the storm. She shifted her form on the bed of the cabin, grabbing Percy's hands with her own smaller ones.

    "Go ahead, you can tell me anything." She said with a concerned voice. 

    Percy inhaled deeply and met her gaze. "I can't do this anymore, we....we need to break up." He said quietly as if she would be more affected by his words if he spoke any louder.

   Percy held her gaze for a few seconds longer before dropping it to the bed. He felt her hand move slide from his and he gripped her wrist.  "Annabeth, I'm so sorr-" He was interrupted by a pair of soft lips on his forehead, shocking him.  Annabeth grabbed his chin gently, pulling it softly to look up at her.

    "Don't worry about it Seaweed Brain, it's okay, I feel the same way." She said, moving a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

    Percy gazed into her eyes, looking for any signs of a lie. This can't be true. "Really?  Do you...do maybe love someone else?"

Annabeth smiled and closed her eyes, a memory coming back to her. "Yes."

***

A hand, reaching out to me. Who's is that?  Small, pale, bony maybe?  What's with that horrible look on his face, it seems so sad. Am I dying? He looks like he life will end if I die. So worried. Oh, I remember. Yes. Annabeth falling and me catching her. We're about to fall into Tarturus.  So does that, the peson reaching out for me is....?

"Nico!" Percy woke up from the nightmare. Again?  He pushed himself off the bed and peeked out from the windows. The sun was shining brightly outside, signaling that it was already morning. He sighed and proceeded to put on his normal camp shirt and jeans, which Converse that matched the color of his eyes.

    Annabeth was at his door, her hand out held towards him. He grabbed her hand gently and squeezed tightly to reassure her. "Today maybe?" She whispered into his ear. Percy shook his head, knowing that he wasn't quite ready to confess to Nico. 

   Percy glanced at the arena as they walked by. Jason was training with Frank, their swords clashing, metal on metal. The sound reached his ears and he closed his eyes, wishing that he too could be training, but he had to keep his image. 

   See, him and Annabeth were the "Golden Couple". They couldn't just randomly break up, the hearts of the campers would be crushed. After the Titan War the campers had pushed them together, feeling that in their hearts Percy and Annabeth were absolutely perfect for each other. But the truth was, Percy only had feelings of a best friend or sister for Annabeth and she felt the exact same way. The night he told her his true feelings he was surprised to find that she too had feeling for another. 

   Suddenly he heard Annabeth gasp and her hand slipped from his. He watched her run over to her closest friend, Piper Mclean, who she wanted to be more than friends with. He let a small smile onto his face because he knew that Piper meant just as much as Nico meant to him. He stood still and felt the warmness of the sun flowing over his skin like a warm blanket. Just as he was about to close his eyes, hands grabbed onto his shoulders and whirled him around. 

"Woah, hey dude, I think you got the wrong per-" Percy stopped mid sentence, gazing up into dark eyes.

   Nico stood above him, a smile plastered onto his face.

"Hey Percy", said Nico.

   Percy's stomach fluttered. That smirk always got to him.

Nico put his hands into the pockets of his jeans, only leaving his thumbs. "I was wondering if you maybe wanted to go somewhere this weekend, maybe to go see a movie or something.  Whatever you want."

Percy smiled, taking out his phone and setting a reminder. "Sure, Saturday at 3:00 sound good to you?"

Nico's eyes lit up. "Yes, that sounds perfect."

Percy put his phone back in his pocket. "You don't mind if I invite Jason and Annabeth right?"

Nico's smile tightened, now bejng forced. "Nonono, sure! You should totally invite them."

Percy grinned, turning away and yelling out as he walked away. "OKAY! SEE YOU THEN!"

Nico's smile slipped off his face and he growled to himself.  He only sees me as a friend.  I knew it.

Nico sighed, upset, and walked back to his cabin where he continued his sulking.