𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇

⤜✵⤛

"You're wearing that to go hunt down one of the most powerful people on this earth?" The Prince asked, looking me over disapprovingly. "You are aware we'll be crossing through different kingdoms, and that you'll be representing ours?"

I only rolled my eyes; it was too early for this. The sun wasn't even up yet, and I wasn't used to waking up at such an hour.

"Well what would you like me to wear?" I snapped back, not minding my manners due to my drowsiness. "A ball gown?" I sneered, and the Prince tensed, his body stiff.

"That's no way to speak to your future King," he snarled, his deep brown eyes nearly turning to slits as he looked at me with distaste. "No wonder you're still a maiden, you've got one of the worst personalities I've ever experienced," he retorted insolently, his eyes narrowed.

"You're one to talk, where's your wife?" I countered, crossing my arms across my chest, glaring at him. He said nothing, staring me down, and I did the same, not taking my gaze from his. I was not one to give up easily, especially in the face of a spoiled Prince who thought it was a good idea to make fun of my outfit. News flash, your highness, not all of us are rich.

He looked me up and down once more before finally scoffing.

"Fine, you wear that hideous attire, but if anyone asks, you're not from my kingdom," he muttered, mounting his steed. I allowed myself a small smile of triumph. I had won.

"Gladly," I mounted the stallion I had been provided, throwing my leg over the horse in a very inelegant fashion before finally hoisting myself atop the steed. What a lovely show I had provided for his majesty, he was surely snickering at the way I'd gotten up—though when I checked, he wasn't watching. Good, save me the embarrassment for later.

It felt weird riding a horse. I never had before in my life, and it felt both odd and exciting being up this high. It almost felt like flying.

My books were safely stored behind my saddle in sacks that fell over the horse's hips. The Prince had insisted I'd bring them as a way to help us track down Ariane, just in case I forgot anything, though for me, they were merely a source of entertainment at this point.

I already knew everything in there, and I wasn't going to forget. But I had let him have his way. I gripped the reins tensely, dreading the ride ahead of me. I wasn't quite sure if I was going to enjoy traveling long hours on horseback or not, though I assumed I wouldn't. It wasn't in my comfort zone, that was for sure.

At this point in time, I was ready to hand myself in, claim that I was, in fact, Ariane, and just die. It seemed better than having to go on a whole pointless journey with the Prince. Already, he was aggravating me with insults about my clothing. The very thought of our argument made me roll my eyes with disgust.

The nerve! Not everyone owned expensive outfits like he and the other rich, and he needed to learn how to shut his trap about it. Besides, it wasn't a bad outfit. It was comfortable.

It was so early in the morning when I had finally risen that I just decided to throw on something, not caring how I looked. So here I sat atop a horse, wearing a cream tunic with a leather bodice over it, tied tightly against my stomach, leather pants and high boots that reached my knees. A belt was wrapped around my waist, where I had placed a dagger I owned in its sheath.