𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝒾𝓋𝑒

⤜✵⤛

"Get up," The Prince spoke lazily, prodding my side with his finger. At his touch, I nearly fell off the stallion in shock. With my heart still pounding, I tried to regain my balance by gripping the horse's mane, which was to no avail as I felt myself fall over the side of the steed. Prepared to hit the ground, I tensed, but frowned when I felt myself suspended in the air instead. Was this a new part of my ability? My eyes widened at the thought of them seeing me using my powers.

"Good, you're awake," I looked up, noticing the Prince was above me, holding me bridal style. I felt my cheeks heat up, and I began to squirm against his grasp until he placed me on the ground. I brushed off my pants, trying to keep my flushed face away from the Prince's gaze.

One of the guards grabbed the stallion's reins a moment later, leading the creature towards a stable I hadn't noticed before.

"Where-?" I started, finally taking my attention from the nonexistent dust on my pants. The Prince watched me, his gaze nonchalant, almost as if he cared not for my company. It made me fairly annoyed, thinking that I was only here to track down, well, me. Although I knew he wasn't bringing me for friendship nor love, it would feel nice to know my presence was appreciated, but I suppose that was too much to ask.

"We're in Quentine," the Prince explained, watching me carefully. I blinked at his words, slowly processing what he'd said. I didn't think well after just having woken up, that was for sure.

We were already in Quentine? I must've been asleep for a while, and yet, somehow, I was still tired. Walking towards him, I stood across from the Prince, looking up to meet his gaze. "There's an inn close to this stable that we'll be staying in," he informed me, paying no attention to me as he watched the first guard lock the horse's stall door. The other guard stood a few feet behind the Prince, saying nothing. "We'll leave the inn tomorrow morning at dawn in order to reach the palace and receive supplies," he stated casually, before walking past me, not waiting for a response.

"Why do we always have to leave at dawn? Why can't I just get some sleep?" I huffed, trying to make my statement slightly humorous before running up beside the Prince as we exited the stable. The crisp air of summer blew past me, the moon sending soft white glows down across the Kingdom as I followed the prince towards the inn.

"Do you always do that?" The Prince asked, annoyance suddenly etched in his tone.

"Do what-?" I frowned, not understanding his inquiry.

"Ask a million questions. You act as if I've kidnapped you, taking you to some random place you know nothing of," he hissed, and my frown deepened.

"Well, technically, your highness, I do, in fact have no idea where I am. I didn't even know Quentine existed until you told me we were going there," I countered. Pausing in his tracks, the Prince turned, glaring at me. His dark eyes were hard and stony as they stared directly into mine, almost challenging me, though to what, I was not sure.

"Now listen here," he spat, suddenly much angrier than before. "I am still your superior, your Prince to be exact, and if you don't stop pissing me off, then you won't be doing anything else-"

"As if you'd kill me," I cut him off, now fuming at his words. "I'm the only way you're going to find her, so I'd stop being so short tempered with me when I've done nothing wrong." Turning on my heels, I stormed off, not caring where I was going. I could be headed into the woods to die, and I wouldn't care. I hated the Prince. I wanted to be rid of him. I wanted to go home and continue selling books. I'd never asked to be here. I was just pulled into it. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, I suppose. I should've chosen another kingdom to hide in.