𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

⤜✵⤛

With the new essentials, the Prince and I, along with both of his guards, headed onto the dirt path towards the destination where Ariane had last been spotted. I already knew it was useless heading to such a place since I had never left Crostia since the incident, but still, I played along with the Prince, pretending to know as much as he did--which was nothing.

At nightfall, we hadn't made it to another kingdom; and so we set up camp. The guards worked at lighting a fire as I sat back and watched. I could easily make a flame, zapping the wood with my fingers and making a spark erupt.

After a few more minutes of watching the two men struggle, I decided it wouldn't hurt to help them. Besides, it was a way for me to get rid of some of the electric energy pent up inside of me. Concentrating, I twirled my pointer finger subtly, watching as a small spark ignited on the wood. The two guards grinned, and I smiled slightly in return, though none of them saw.

We had stopped near a crystalline lake that shimmered in the moonlight, and were resting on the bank where there were no trees to hide the sparkling sky. There, we refilled some of the water packs we had been carrying, to make sure we had more for later on in the journey.

I wanted to take in the beautiful scenery before me, but my thoughts kept reverting back to my escape plan, or—more accurately—to trying to form an escape plan. I hadn't gotten very far in the process.

This may be an easy place to escape from, I though to myself. I couldn't help formulating a plan in my head, even if it wasn't a good one. Out in the middle of nowhere, no one would know where I had gone, in which direction I'd fled. But I put the thoughts of escape on hold as my stomach growled hungrily.

Food first. Escape plan later.

The guards took out vegetables, and put them on a wooden rod that the Princess had provided for us. We hadn't taken any meat, since it would go bad in the heat.

As the charred vegetables burned over the flame, I scrunched my nose in distaste. Welsh, the guard who had been making the vegetables for us to eat, gave me a small smile. I returned the grin, making sure to hide my disgust. I usually didn't mind if my food was slightly charred, but this was a whole new level. The food was completely covered in black burns. I didn't even know which vegetable it was.

"Here," he spoke, his deep voice hoarse and clearly tired. I felt pity for him as I reached out and accepted the vegetable skewer, although I felt I should've helped more. With dinner, with making camp, with everything. Grabbing his arm lightly as he was about to walk away, I flashed Welsh a genuine grin.

"Why don't I cook the vegetables. You look like you need rest, and besides, I haven't done anything today besides ride a horse," I spoke gently, noticing the distinct bags under his eyes. Welsh looked reluctant at first, although he eventually nodded slowly.

"Alright, just don't poison us all," he joked, and I laughed lightly, wandering over to the tiny bonfire. Picking up another stick, I sat down on the earthy ground and began to attach the vegetables. Soon, I had them over the fire, roasting slowly as I turned the wooden rod lazily. Finishing the first two, I handed them to the two guards, who thanked me, looking ever so grateful.

Not long after, I finished the third vegetable skewer. Searching around for the Prince, whom I soon saw lying down on a blanket, reading a book, I picked up both his and my skewers and headed over to him. I gave him the better-looking one that I had cooked, deciding I didn't want to start up a fight with the Prince.

He looked up from his book for a moment as I approached, accepting the food. Then taking a bite of it, he continued with his book, paying no attention to me. I hadn't expected much from him anyway. Even if I did find myself wishing he would talk to me, I wouldn't start the conversation. I wanted him to be in a good mood when he talked, and only he knew when he wasn't going to try and pry my head off. Feeling slightly rejected, I walked back over towards the fire.