𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝒾𝓋𝑒

⤜✵⤛

I awoke to the sound of birds singing, glowing sun rays beaming through the clearing in the woods casting warmth across everything it touched. Slowly, I sat up, rubbing my eyes before stretching my body, locks of hair falling over my shoulder onto my back. Turning, I noticed Gale sleeping peacefully on the ground, his chest rising and falling slowly as he inhaled and exhaled in slumber.

I smiled softly, seeing him look so calm. I felt a light blush cross my face as the memories from last night flooded back into my memory. Our talk. The kiss. Everything.

My eyes widened with realization after a moment as I placed my hand on my mouth, nearly gasping, though I refrained as to not wake up Gale. Gale had kissed me. And as much as I knew that was wrong, very very wrong, especially since he didn't even know my real name, I had kissed back.

If we were in any situation but this, I would've been glad to stay with him, to start a new life with him by my side. But not now. Not with the knowledge of what was to come. For today was the day. I was going to be revealed, and I was going to be killed.

Placing a finger against my temple, I took in deep breaths, trying to steady my frantic heart rate as I became more and more anxious.

The sound of footsteps in the distance caused me to snap out of my dazed state as I turned to see Velut running towards Gale and me, his eyes wide. When he arrived, he panted, placing his hands on his knees to catch his breath.

"There...you are," he sputtered. "I've been looking for you everywhere. Thought you'd been....kidnapped or something," he pushed strands of curly hair out of his face, before looking down at Gale, who was still asleep on the ground. Looking back up at me, Velut gave me a confused look, before the pieces finally came together. His expression went from one filled with shock to a sly smirk in a matter of seconds.

"Ah, I see you and Princey had a little alone time last night," He grinned, and I rolled my eyes, not in the mood to deal with Velut's annoying comments. As a slight blush rose on my cheeks, Velut continued to beam at me, though I gave him a hard look, telling him to end the topic.

"Fine, fine. You're no fun," he huffed, before glancing over at Gale once more. "Time to wake Princey up? I believe we should hit the road," Velut's expression changed from that of a jokester to a grim one as he spoke of the kingdom where we were headed. He knew what was to happen, and sadly, so did I.

"Yeah, I'm afraid so," I nodded slowly. Crouching, I tapped Gale's shoulder until he began to stir, blinking his eyes, adjusting to the light. He sat up a moment later, running a hand through his messy hair, trying to smooth it back, before standing up and stretching. His gaze lingered on me for a moment before he turned to Velut, who was trying to suppress a teasing grin.

"Morning, Princey, sleep well?" Velut asked, and I gave him a hard glare, which he chose to ignore.

"Indeed, thank you," Gale answered, not sensing the satire in Velut's tone, much to my relief.

"Aria and I were just chatting, and I think it's time we all hit the road," Velut grinned. "Celiric awaits."

At his words, Gale blinked, pausing for a moment as he thought over what Velut had just said. His expression shifted into a much more determined one as he nodded, having fully processed the other's words.

"Today, Ariane's terror will end, and millions will rejoice," he spoke darkly, looking at the two of us with a glimmer of conviction in his eyes. "Today, the monster will perish," Gale growled before stalking off towards the horses.

Velut and I shared a saddened glance before following the Prince, both of us aware of the fact that this wouldn't end well.

⤜✵⤛

Lullaby and the horses staggered to the front of a broken gate, half of the iron holding the structure together, with the other sinking towards the ground at an odd angle, small vines creeping up the sides of the frame. The path before us was rocky and uneven, with cobblestone pulled from the ground, and rows of broken down buildings dotting the streets.

The town appeared as if no one had lived there for years, and a chilling wind swept through the air, sending shivers down my spine.

This all looked familiar, from the shape of the town to the broken look of the footpaths. Gale, Velut and I watched the buildings slowly pass by as we rode through the town, the sound of the horses' hooves echoing against the stone paths. A thick fog blanketed the town, making only a few feet visible to all of us. The town looked depressed and desolate, and I couldn't help but feel nostalgic somehow as I ventured through it atop Lullaby.

"This is Celiric?" Gale asked, turning to Velut, who's face held a solemn expression.

"I'm afraid so," Velut answered, his voice strained, his figure stiff as he rode his steed.

"Where is the man? The one who created her?" Gale inquired, continuing to stare at Velut. I stared ahead in a daze, barely hearing Gale's question as my eyes became fixed on a building in the distance.

"There," I spoke airily, my gaze locked on the building that drew closer little by little.

"Are you sure?" Gale asked, turning his head so he was looking at the building, also.

"Yes, she's right," Velut nodded slowly, nudging his stallion forward. "Let's get this over with," he muttered, his tone pained.

The three of us rode in silence, no one daring to say a word as we continued on. My heart felt as if it was going to jump out of my chest, the anticipation of what was to come nearly killing me. Millions of thoughts ran through my mind, although I barely processed any of them, for soon enough we were standing in front of the building. Looking up the many many steps that lead to the entrance, all of us stared ahead, dreading what was to come, all for different reasons.

I dismounted Lullaby, scratching her head lovingly, and kissing her forehead, before turning and beginning the climb up the stairs. Watching me leave, the relagudre whimpered a plaintive cry. I nearly ran back then and there, but I refrained, continuing to head up the steps, determined not to look back. For if I did, I was afraid I'd let the tears stinging my eyes begin to pour, letting out all the grief that was inside my body.

I knew I'd most likely never see Lullaby again, and the thought pained me, but I knew, somehow, that it was better for her. She'd be free again, not chained to me. Yet still, I wished we could've had a proper goodbye, even if she was just a creature.

She had always been there for me, and I knew, I'd never forget her, and that she'd never forget me. No matter what was to come.