𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓁𝓋𝑒

⤜✵⤛

A loud boom erupted in the skies above, a dark, menacing cloud beginning to make its way toward us. It moved slowly but surely, drawing nearer little by little. Rain was sure to follow, along with lightning and thunder. I knew that. I could feel it; the sparks that brewed within the cloud, not powerful enough to strike, but strong enough to be felt. They were there. It was only a matter of time before they struck the ground.

"Hey, Gale?" I murmured, tapping the Prince's back to get his attention. He shifted as I spoke, turning so he could see me.

"Yes?" His response was plain, nonchalant. Apparently he didn't know of the storm brewing right on top of us. It seemed he'd ignored the distant rumble of thunder earlier.

"We should probably stop," I started. "We're out in the open and a storm's coming. A bad one."

"We'll be fine," he reassured me, though his tone was far from comforting. He seemed bored. Tired.

"We should stop." I repeated, causing Gale to huff.

"I heard you the first time."

"And yet you're still not listening," I shot back.

"You should probably listen to her," Velut chimed in, causing both Gale and me to shift our gazes to him. He watched me for a moment before turning to Gale, his dark eyes sparkling as if he knew something that I didn't think he did. Something about me.

"We're not stopping," Gale announced, his jaw tense, eyes straight ahead. Why was he being so ignorant? There was clearly a storm on the way, so why was he refusing to acknowledge it?

"Gale-"

He cut me off before I could continue. "No. We're not stopping. We need to make it farther, we need to get closer to a kingdom. Then we can stop."

Still not agreeing, I went to make another remark, though I bit my tongue, sensing the Prince's determination. The three of us continued down the dirt path for another hour, with continuous booms blossoming in the distance, though Gale appeared to disregard them.

It was only when the thunder shook the trees did Gale show any signs of concern.

The trees rattled against the thunder, shaking the leaves from their branches. The horses stomped at the ground, starting to get spooked by the alarming noises. Gale's knuckles turned white as he held onto the reins, trying to steady his stallion, though the horse refused to listen.

Rain began to fall. First a few drops, though they soon melded into a torrential downpour. The water drenched my clothes within seconds, and the horse I sat atop with Gale lurched forward. I let out a yell as I fell off the back, not prepared for the sudden burst, Gale's stallion disappearing into the distance.

"Gale?!" I shouted. No response. My heart began to pound against my chest as fear overtook me. Velut was behind, still tending to his frightened stallion, and I didn't have a clue where Gale was. That was wonderful.

"Gale?!" This time my call was louder, echoing across the woods. Still no response.

I huffed, beginning forwards in order to search for the Prince. A low rumble shook the ground around me as I started ahead, searching through the trees as best I could through the rain, which continued to pour.