𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒

⤜✵⤛

I felt myself being lifted into the air before gravity pulled me back down and I hit something hard with a sudden thump. Jerking awake at the impact, I looked around wildly, my body filling with adrenaline as fear took over.

Where was I? Why was it so dark? Was I moving? Where was I going?

Calm yourself, dearie, a voice erupted in my mind, the same tone as Aldous'. I flinched as the person spoke in my head, and I clenched my eyes shut. How was he doing this? He could somehow contact me now?

You're thinking too hard, Ariane, the voice blatantly spoke once more and I frowned. Let me explain, seeing as you appear to have no idea what's going on.

When you went into your sleep, I placed a small chip in your ear, one that, when I use the controls, can make you listen and do whatever I wish you to. I knew you wouldn't willingly destroy Crostia, so I thought I might as well test my new invention, and so far, it seems to be working quite well.

You and your driver will be arriving at the kingdom quite shortly, and from there, you will infiltrate the palace and kill the royals before exterminating the rest of the kingdom. Understood? The voice asked, and I felt myself begin to shake. Kill the royals? I couldn't, I wouldn't. We're here, dearie, the voice in my head announced and I winced at the sudden volume of the person interrupting my thoughts.

Almost as if on command, the cart came to a stop, the horses pulling the vehicle stomping at the ground. Footsteps were heard outside of the cart and after a moment, a man pulled back the makeshift door of the carriage, which consisted of a cream colored cloth. I watched him as he waited for me to move, his demeanor slightly agitated as I didn't make an effort to leave.

I would be just fine staying here. Yes, I'd be fine not leaving. Just staying. Not hurting anyone.

I did my best to keep myself glued to the wooden seat, and I was doing well, until I suddenly stood up and exited the cart. A look of horror flashed across my face as I tried to make myself stop walking, only to find that I couldn't. Apparently, the controls Aldous had put in my ear were working as they sent unheard audio signals to my brain, forcing me forwards. I felt like shouting, like crying, like turning and running. But as much as I tried I couldn't do anything besides what was being ordered.

I felt like a puppet in a show, unable to do anything but what the director had intended.

Marching through familiar backstreets and alleyways, I soon found the palace coming into view, causing my eyes to widen with fear. I clenched my eyes shut, willing myself to flee, to not do this, but I just kept walking. A choked sob escaped my lips, though it disappeared the second it had come out as my mouth was clamped shut. I arrived at the front gates not a moment later, greeted by two men who stood gripping spears.

"And you are?" The first guard spoke, eyeing me carefully, his hold on the spear tightening. I was about to speak when I was cut off as my body lurched forwards in an ungraceful movement. I threw both my arms out, and the guards were dead in the matter of seconds, small sparks dancing off of their armor, their lifeless eyes filled with shock.

Leaping over the gate once the guards were out of the way, I hit the ground hard, stumbling slightly. Being controlled made my movements jerky and uncomfortable, and I found that my gait was far more labored than before as I took aching steps towards the palace. Perhaps my willpower was doing something, for before I felt I had not a choice on what I was to do, while now I was able to—although only slightly—regain some of my body back.