𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝐹𝑜𝓊𝓇

⤜✵⤛

The earthy ground felt rough on my back as I tossed and turned, trying to fall asleep. It seemed impossible, though, as no matter how hard I tried to clear my head, more thoughts took their place.

Shuddering, I curled up against myself, recounting the many different ways my identity might be revealed tomorrow. Tomorrow. It seemed so close, yet so far. I wished it was farther, but this was inevitable. I had known that from the beginning, and yet it still scared me.

Images of Gale's reaction haunted my mind. In my nightmares I saw his face when he realized it was I who had killed so many. Eventually these visions frightened me enough to keep me awake. Gale would soon learn to despise one he once called a friend. I wanted to just disappear. No one would notice, besides Velut and Gale, and they'd get over it. My loss wouldn't mean much to them, would it?

But then again, Gale and I had become close over this journey—along with Velut. Though my relationship with Gale was different than the one I had with Velut. To me, at least. Could I really feel that way? Towards anyone? Even I was unsure.

Regaining consciousness shortly after we'd made camp, Gale apologized, saying he must have fallen asleep on the long ride. Velut and I hastily agreed to what he said, though both of us knew the truth. He had not just fallen asleep. The truth was far from that.

Sitting up shakily, I gave up all hope of sleeping, and wiped some of the weariness from my eyes. I stood before stretching in an attempt to warm my tense muscles and relieve my stiffness. Making my posture straight, I yawned and averted my gaze to the sky, which held stars that twinkled behind the shadows of treetops.

I knew of a clearing ahead, where the trees parted way for the brilliance of the sky, and I could gaze up at the stars without their being blocked by branches. It seemed like a good, relaxing place to go to now, while my brain was trying to drive me insane with daunting what if's. Perhaps this could ease my worries, if only for a moment.

Advancing forwards, I stared down at the shadowed ground, doing my best to not step on any branches and wake Gale or Velut. They shouldn't have to worry about me, I'd be fine. They needed their sleep, and they would get it, even if I didn't.

Reaching the clearing, I breathed out a puff of air and sat on the lush ground, arching my head towards the sky. The sight of shimmering stars made me feel relieved, even if just for a moment. They seemed to wink at me from their spot high up in the sky. It was comforting. Closing my eyes, I abandoned all of my senses as I breathed in slowly, doing a kind of meditation I used to practice when I felt pressured back in Crostia. I didn't even sense the person making his way to my side.

"Can't sleep either?" Gale asked, making me jump, though I managed to cover up the shock as I laughed slightly, glancing at the Prince. Nodding in response to his question, I averted my gaze to the ground.

"No, I'm afraid I can't," I admitted with a sigh. I could feel Gale's gaze on me, though I kept my eyes from him. The two of us sat in silence, though I didn't mind, and I doubt he did, either. It seemed we didn't need to speak to exchange thoughts. It was an odd thing to say, but it was true, nevertheless.

"But it's all right—that I can't sleep," I spoke up wholeheartedly. Finally looking up at the Prince, I gave him a shrug. "Now I'll get the opportunity to watch the stars. I really haven't had the chance to for a while," I let out a soft laugh, though it was true. It'd been a while since I'd been stargazing, and I missed it.

"The stars?" Gale inquired, watching me as I brought my legs closer to my body, my head tilting up towards the glistening sky which twinkled with glimmering dots.