The Child's Dying

She knew something was wrong

     She knew something was wrong. She has been waiting for him for hours and he wasn't there. Her long blond hair was swaying in the cold breeze, her hands around herself for comfort and warmth.

     They were supposed to meet under the old oak tree in the woods. They were going to escape together.

     Emily was very sad when her parents didn't allow them to marry. They just couldn't understand that she and Barkis were in love. That he was a good man. So after the big scandal between her and her parents, Barkis shared his idea with her. For them to elope and to marry in secret. That way they could be together forever. Of course, Emily didn't refuse. She was so deeply in love that she agreed to everything that came from Barkis Bittern's mouth.

     And so there she was, waiting for him under the tree in the middle of the night, dressed in her mother's wedding dress. Gold jewelry was adoring her hands and neck. She was beautiful. And she was just waiting.

     It was a foggy night and the wind was ringing harshly in her ears.

      Maybe that's why she couldn't see or hear him when he came up behind her, sword penetrating her abdomen. Her body laid under the tree, blood coloring her dress, eyes wide open. Her jewelry was gone and so was Barkis. With her last breath, she vowed to remain under the tree until her true love came to ask for her hand in marriage, thus setting her free.

     And so years passed until there was a gold ring on her finger, and she was wide awake.

xxx

Word Count: 275