Hard Beginning

Elijah Mikaelson didn't know what to think

     Elijah Mikaelson didn't know what to think. Wandering in the woods didn't help him either. He was in love with Hayley. And she was in love with him. At least that's what he believed.

     The golden wedding ring was too heavy in his pocket. His mind was wandering back to what happened just a moment ago. Him confessing to Hayley his love and loyalty and just when he was about to ask her the big question, he noticed the sad expression she wore. And she told him. She told him how Jackson, the werewolf from her pack asked her to marry him, and how she was going to accept, because of the pack.

     "And... He is treating me right and with respect."

     He was angry but tried not to show it. It was to no avail, she could see right through him. And when he asked her if he loved him her answer broke his heart.

     "I think I do."

     And when he just couldn't help himself and asked her the big question.

     "I don't love you anymore."

     And his heart shattered into little pieces that were going to take hundreds of years to be put back together. He looked at Hayley for the last time, a single tear falling from his eye and he left. He left as fast as he can. He ran and walked in a direction he didn't know.

     Now in the woods, resting against a big oak tree, his heart and mind was a mess. He slid down the tree and sat down in the snow, his hands resting on his knees. What was he gonna do now? He loves her. He will always love her. And she was marrying another man.

     His hand slid in his suit pocket getting the ring out. It was beautiful and simple. Perfect for Hayley. He looked at the ring in his hand for the last time and put it on a little branch that was showing from the snow. He remembered a wedding vow from the past that his sister Rebekah has once told him.

     "With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine."

     They were beautiful and would have been the perfect words for him to vow to the little werewolf.

     A chilling wind came upon him all of a sudden, the ground shaking a little. He paid it no mind and lifted himself, patting his suit pants from dirt that might have gotten on them. The moon shone bright and the ground started shaking more violently. He looked around himself, the whole forest silent. He started to walk away. In the blink of an eye, the branch he put the ring on started moving and rolling, like a hand. The snow and ground broke, a body like a skeleton moving up from the ground, the moon shining brightly upon the place.

     Elijah turned around just in time to see a woman's body getting out from the ground and standing up. He couldn't believe it. In all his years of living, he hasn't seen anything like that. With wide eyes he watched how the skeleton-like figure turned around and looked at him, her wedding dress shining brightly from the light of the moon.

     Her eyes were dull like a curtain was on top of them. Dark hair was gently flowing. One hand was reaching for him and two words came out of the figure's mouth that made Elijah freeze in place, his heart-stopping for a moment.

     "I do." the woman said, her voice excited and happy.

     The woman moved quickly to him and tried to kiss him. Before she could do that Elijah snapped her neck and she fell on the ground with a loud thud. He was sure he was going insane. The skeleton started to move and got back on her feet. Elijah's nostrils were filled with the smell of rotten flesh, the only thing keeping him from thinking he was hallucinating the whole thing.

     "That was very rude." The woman told him while rolling her neck, looking at him with a little pout.

     The original vampire couldn't move. His brain was frozen and he couldn't utter a word.

     "As we are married now maybe I should introduce myself." She said, her voice velvet-like.

     "My name is Emily." The skeleton hand reached for a handshake and slowly and cautiously, Elijah put his hand in hers.

     "I am Elijah Mikaelson," he said monotonously while looking at Emily from head to toe.

     She was a tall woman, young-looking, with a slim and graceful figure. Her skin was too pale almost blue in contrast with her purple lips. Her eyes were dull and white, black dots in the place of the pupils. The skin on her right cheek looked like it was deteriorating, showing her perfect white teeth. There was a hole in the wedding dress from where you could see her ribs. Her right leg was a bone, skin still standing on her ankle.

     She smiled at him.

     "I just love your name. It's suits you so much. A handsome name for a handsome man."

     If there was blood still running through her veins she was sure she was going to blush like crazy.

     Elijah was still speechless until he remembers what she said earlier.

     " Excuse me, but did you say married? "

xxx
Word Count: 917