Broken Hearts

It was so awkward

    It was so awkward. That's why Elijah decided to get Emily out of there before Hayley sends her back to her grave. And of course, Jackson woke up and was out the moment he heard Hayley and Elijah's voices. He didn't want to face the man any longer than necessary. So the vampire took his wife and sped out of there as fast as he can.

    Now standing in a studio apartment somewhere in the bright city, Elijah didn't know what to think and do.

    Emily was standing near a piano Elijah has bought a long time ago, her bony fingers lightly tapping the keys, soft notes coming out. A short melody has been created in the mids of the silence. Elijah thought he heard it somewhere and some time in his life, his mind searching through his memories, but nothing emerges. It was familiar, but he couldn't pinpoint it.

    “How did you die? ”, was the first question that Elijah wanted to know the answer for. He felt strangely connected to the dead girl. Maybe that's why he took her with him. He felt responsible and protective of her.

    Emily's back was turned towards him, the melody still coming from the piano. Pain flashed briefly in her cold and dead eyes, but Elijah couldn't see it. Maybe he felt it, but no one can know for sure.

    “Love killed me. Isn't it always love that torns you apart and your heartbreaks. Love that makes you feel dead. Well, in my case, love made my heart stop. ” Her voice was serious and pained. A tear fell down her cheek.

    Elijah could only stare at her back, studying her. Her voice, her body. That way that there was a hole near her heart, ribs poking out of the dirty wedding dress. Why was she in a wedding dress? And why was she in the snow? Dead and alone.

    “I was young and naive. Maybe I am still. But I like to think that death has made me mature a little. And I fell in love with a man. A man that made my heart skip just from the sight of him. A man that was gentle and loving towards him. A man that made me feel loved and wanted. My parents didn't approve of course. He was older than me and not coming from a family with status and wealth, like us. He didn't deserve to be respected and he didn't deserve me. ”

    Emily's melody progressively was becoming louder. Her fingers tapping the keys with more power.

    “His name was Barkis Bittern. When my parents didn't permit him to marry me, he came up with the idea for us to just... disappear. To go somewhere where they will never find us and to marry. Somewhere where we will be alone. Together forever. ” A bitter laugh came out of her mouth. The melody becoming louder and louder with every passing moment.

    “And of course I agreed. I was madly in love. We made a plan. One night, after midnight we were to meet under the big oak tree in the wood where we usually met. I was to steal some of my mother's gold jewelry, so we can sell them and have money. And so I did. I snuck out of my house in my mother's old wedding dress, priceless jewelry on my neck and hands. And I waited. I waited under the oak tree. I waited for so long. There was no sight of him to be close. I thought that my parents found out about our plan and got to him before he could get there. ”

    Louder and louder the melody was piercing both of their minds. Anger was seeping through the song. Elijah could already figure out what had happened, but he let her finish.

    “ I was facing the tree when it happened. I haven't heard or seen him. He pierced his sword right through me. The pain was unbearable. I was lying still alive in the snow when I saw him standing over him, blood dripping from his hand. My blood. I couldn't utter a word. I could only watch him with tears in my eyes when he took the gold jewelry and left. And I died. Alone and broken. In the snow.”

    With great power, she finished her song on the piano almost breaking a few of the keys. Her hands fell in her lap, a few lonely tears streaming on her face. She slowly turned towards Elijah, who was standing near the window. Looking straight into his eyes.

    “I don't even know if my parents know that I am dead. Maybe they think that Barkis and I are somewhere living happily together. ”

xxx
Word Count: 786