The Dead Should Stay Dead

"What is happening Elijah? " Emily's breathing was heavy and her voice a little raspy

"What is happening Elijah? " Emily's breathing was heavy and her voice a little raspy. Her eyes were traveling across the church, that Elijah and Hayley brought her in, her skin crawling. She wrangled her hands, her widened eyes stopping on her 'husband's' form. She was scared.

But nobody was paying her any attention. Hayley was barricading the gate of the church while Elijah was speaking in a hushed tone with her. Emily couldn't hear what they were talking about.

All of a sudden she felt a sharp pain in her chest. She looked down only to see a hole forming where Barkins has stabbed her many years ago. Blood was slowly seeping out.

"No..." It was only a whisper and she quickly buttoned up her jean jacket so no one could see.

"Emily, stay there, okay? We will take care of everything. " Hayley told her with a stressed look on her face. Emily was confused, but one look from her 'husband' made her nod her head and going backward when she heard the doors banging.

All of a sudden the gates were thrown open and four vampires came inside the church.

It was a quick battle. Unfair for the vampires. After all, they were fighting an Original vampire and a hybrid. But after all, they were not stupid either. The task they were given was to capture and eventually kill the girl that was around Elijah these days and they were going to do just that.

While Emily was hidden, Elijah was speeding around snapping necks, Hayley at the back to make sure that no vampire could sneak from Elijah and go straight to Emily. The corpse bride appreciated her for that. They didn't know each other very much or liked each other, but the hybrid was protecting her after all.

With everything holy on his side, one vampire appeared before Hayley, while 'Lijah was fighting the rest that was growing by the second, more and more coming from the doors.

Hayley was a hybrid, she could handle herself. But the vampire was old and extremely skilled. She was pierced in the heart with a knife, the pain too much and the knife too deep for her to get it out of her chest.

The cry of pain and the thud that was made by Hayley when she fell on the ground made Elijah more ruthless than ever. Killing vampire after vampire, he could only see red. Faster and faster, so he could go and help her, relieve her of her pains. Save her.

Seeing that Hayley was on the ground, pierced in the heart, a tall man standing over her with a wolf-ish grin triggered Emily. She remembered the night she died. The pain. The loneliness. Despite all fear, she stood up from her hiding place and quickly made her way towards Hayley, sliding on the floor next to her. Hayley's eyes were filled with tears she refused to shed.

"Hey, you are going to be okay. I will take the knife out now, okay. " Emily's own eyes were betraying her and tears started to fall down her cheeks. Hayley could only nod and close her eyes in preparation for the upcoming pain. The vampire that has pierced the wolf was already killed by Elijah, who was dealing with the last three ones not far from the girls.

Emily gripped the handle of the knife. She looked at her hands, her eyes widening when she saw the skin tearing down little by little. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath she yanked the knife out of Hayley's chest.

The last vampire was heard dropping and Elijah sped towards the two girls, sliding down on the floor and looking at Hayley in concern, asking her if she was okay.

Midnight has passed. While the attention was not on her, Emily stood up and looked towards one of the windows. The moon shone brightly upon her, her white sundress almost glowing. Her skin was tearing down from some parts of her body, turning sick blue again. She turned towards the duo on the floor that was now looking at her. Staring at her. Sadness in her 'husband's' eyes. Her now purple lips lifted in a smile towards the couple.

Elijah stood up and made his way towards her, taking her hand in hers.

"Your body... "

"Is back. Tell the little witch that I am grateful to her for making me look alive for the day. "

"What are you talking about? "

"It's over Darling. " Emily's free hand ghosted over Elijah's cheek a sad smile stretched on her face.

"Thank you. Very much. For making me feel alive. For making me feel true love, even if it was for a little while. "

Emily took out the ring from her finger, putting it in Elijah's hand and slowly letting it go. Hayley was watching at the back, sadness creeping inside her for the girl that just wanted to be loved.

Emily leaned towards the vampire and planted a chaste kiss on his cheek, near his lips. She pulled back and turned around towards the shining moon.

"What now? "

The corpse bride turned her head towards him, giving him a light smile.

"Now It's time for you to live. For you to love and feel loved, my darling. "

She sends a meaningful smile towards Hayley, who smiled back in return and nodded lightly.

A small gasp fell from Emily's lips, her body slowly turning into little black butterflies until there was nothing left.

Hayley and Elijah were alone in the church.

Emily was finally free.

xxx
Word Count: 931
COMPLETED