xxxvi

Two Weeks Later

A light sheen of sweat covered my body as I stood outside the intimidating brick building with the shiny glass doors. It was a mistake to walk the fifteen blocks in this hot New York weather, not to mention there wasn't a single breeze. But I figured it was good exercise. Have to remind myself to not do this on the way home.

I pushed open the door, immediately being welcomed by the cooler air. My sneakers padded across the floor as I walked over to the elevator, pressing down on the up button.

My one free day for the next few weeks and I've chosen to go see Dr. Hill which will probably ruin my mood for the rest of the day. Anytime we talked face to face I ended being mad at her because of just how right she usually was.

Clicking on the fourth floor button, the elevator brought me up. I let out a deep breath as I prepared myself for whatever disaster was bound to happen by the end of this session. It was bound to happen and I had to mentally ready myself.

At the end of the hall, her ominous black door stood with her name plastered on it. I was tempted to turn around and call Dr. Hill saying I wouldn't be able to make it. And I was just about to do it to but she opened her door, raised eyebrows as she looked at me with a bored look.

"Did you think you'd get away easily?" She smiled, stepping aside to let me in. It felt like I was entering my death. I rolled my eyes at her statement, pushing away my bad thoughts as I walked in the dark room. Well, there was actually a big window letting in a lot of sun but it still seemed dark with the navy blue walls.

Cool leather absorbed my back as I laid my head down on the fluffy pillow at the arm rest.
It was sweltering outside, but in the icy building, I felt peaceful. Most especially with the A/C that ran just above my head.

I hadn't been to Dr. Hill's actual office in a long time, never finding the time to. Our conversations always resulted talking on the phone which proved to be potentially less helpful.

We made small talk to start off our day, bringing up the fact that it was the six year anniversary of losing my family. Over the years I had grown used to not having them but each year I visited them at the cemetery. Especially during this month of July I visited more often because it tended to be the worst month of the year. I went before I came today, catching them all up on everything going on in my life even though I have a feeling they already know everything.

Her pen scribbled across her yellow notepad as she glanced at me from time to time over the brim of her blue glasses. She tended to match her glasses to her outfit and I appreciated that effort. She probably had enough glasses that she wouldn't reuse one the entire year.

These past two weeks had been the most boring and stressful of my life. I never had time to go home and endure some R&R, but, I had no want to go home anyway. Going home meant being alone and to distract myself from that, I busied myself with work.

Maybe too much work however. I was nearly sleeping at my studio now with preparing myself for fashion week and especially the opening of my store which was actually next week.

And amongst all of that workload, I've managed to find time to actually come to see Dr. Hill in person. She was actually excited to see me and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I breathe out a little to blow away the curly piece of hair that's wormed it's way out of my bun and onto my face.

Her gaze finally landed on me permanently as she placed her pen down on the paper. She looked at me with a bit of a puzzled look before speaking up, "So, Wendy, why don't we start at the beginning?"