13: Tragic Lovers

Strangers in the night exchanging glances
Wondering in the night
What were the chances we'd be sharing love
Before the night was through.Something in your eyes was so inviting,
Something in your smile was so exciting,
Something in my heart,
Told me I must have you.Strangers in the night
Two lonely people we were strangers in the night
Up to the moment
When we said our first hello.
Little bit we know
Love was just a glance away

"I really love hearing your music specially your voice, it makes the nightmares go away" says Duke Grir who are now sitting besides her.  

"Oh Sh*t!  Can you please stop doing that.  You just show yourself out of no where.  Are you a cat or something? "  Yi Ling almost throw the guitar that she is holding when he hears Duke Grir's voice its a good thing that it has a belt that straps to her shoulder.

"Hahaha! Sorry.  I don't want to interrupt you that is why I just sit besides you.  What is the title of that song?"

" Strangers in the night.  Isn't it fit for the two of us?  We are just 2 strangers who meet secretly in this garden." says Yi Ling who suddenly lean on Duke Grir while smiling sweetly.

"Ow,  so you admit you have been waiting for me?  Is it because you miss me?" He tease her.

"Of course I miss you.  I have never seen you the whole day.  Where have you been my love?" Yi Ling blink her eyes while looking to Duke Grir.

"Business my love...  I need to gain lots of money for me to support you."

Yi Ling and Duke Grir look at each other for a seconds before they laugh at each other.

"Sooo... its your turn for story telling.  Are you ready to tell the "Adventure of Duke Grir's conquered".  Yi Ling put her guitars besides the chairs before she puts hand on her chins.  It shows that she was eager to listen.

"That was not meant for your virgin ears my love.   Maybe another time?" says Duke Grir who give her a sake in a cup.

"Boo! Why?  It makes the night 'pleasurable'.   Hahaha!  Okay I'm just kidding I know its personal so its fine."

"How about story before Duke Grir,  do you want to know the family history of your future husband?"

"Hmmm... are you sure that I'm going to end up with you?" she look at him seriously with a smirk on her lips.

"Do want a bet?" Duke Grir give her a challenging look.

Yi Ling look at him for a long time before she shrug her shoulders.

"Nah,  your rich you can do anything."

"Oh Lady Yi Ling,  you broke my heart I thought I'm going to get you because of my undying devotion and not because of my money."  Duke Grir give a her a sad face.

"Please,  we both know money matters." while swaying both of her hands while laughing.

"But its best that I moved your heart rather than anything before I get you." suddenly he looks at her seriously with a small smile on his face.  Yi Ling don't know what to react so she just avoid him by looking in the pond.

"Well good luck for me?" she says while thinking the plan of leaving the country with her friends.  She admit to herself that falling in love with Duke Grir now is not an option. 

"So what is the story you are going to tell me?".

"Story of my parents."  he says while looking in the cup that his drinking.

"Ow... well I have heard something about your parents in our manor.  Its quiet popular you know.  Second chance of love they say.  It makes me wonder if you take your romantic nature to your father." she smile at him.

"Really?  Is that what you have heard?" he smiled at her bitterly.

"Uh huh...  Although I love to only have one husband in a lifetime but ever since..." she suddenly stop when realizing what she is going to say next.  She can believed herself for almost spilling it out.  In this world she is Lady Yi Ling and never had any relationship with another man.  She wants to slap her mouth but she endure it because Duke Grir is looking at her with concern.

"Ever since I have heard the story of your parents... hehehe."  she said immediately while scratching her head.

"Is that so." Duke Grir know that she is not telling the truth and there is more to it but he just let it pass.  Sooner or later he will know the secret of Yi Ling... they have a lifetime together to unfold it.

"Ahm... so what is the story of your parents?" as she tried to divert the topic.  Duke Grir is still looking in the cup the he is drinking.  It seems he is in a deep thought.

"As you have known, my mother had a previous husband before my father but unlike what you have heard he is the first not the previous one." He is still looking in the cup while telling her this.

"Wait! How can it be?  Unless they divorce first before your mother can re married." She asked.  As far as she knows this world is very traditional in terms of marriage.  It requires only one spouse and its forbidden to have a mistress unlike the novel she have read in ancient china.  Death is the punishment who ever neglect it.

"My father received an order from the previous emperor after their wedding.  He is task to be the mediator to a rival kingdom and must go there immediately.  While traveling he was ambushed by the enemy who do not like the treaty.  He was captive for 6 years since then.  The 2nd husband who is a higher official at that time falsely create a rumor that my father died and found the body in unknown forest.  My mother grieved when she heard the news. A young bride become a widow in a matter of days after the wedding." 

"Wow, that must be hard for your mother." she has an idea what happens to his mother.  A young bride suddenly living in her husbands manor without to rely on.  Returning to her families must be hard since she is considered married once.  It is also hard for her to find another man to accept her as a bride.  In this world females rely on their male families to support them.  They don't have capabilities to support themselves.  This are the main reasons while the 4 of them wants to escape.  They don't want to be in a mercy of a man even though it was their husbands.

"Hmm... my mother loves my father so much at that time.  Unlike other couple who are together because of their families, they develop to love each other since young.  The sudden death of my father is a huge blow emotionally for my mother.  The only person she grieved with is also her childhood friend.  The best friend of my father who he trust fully.  He is also become the second husband." He smiled bitterly.