Chapter 2

Mornings in the Aihara household were typically the same as before. Ume was preparing breakfast for everyone, but it was Yuzu's turn to prepare all the lunches. As mother and daughter work around each other in the kitchen, Mei is setting the table.

"Yuzu, let me finish up for you. You need to eat" said Ume to her daughter.

"I'm almost done mama. I just need a few minutes" she said.

"No no, take that time to eat. I'll finish up for you. Now take this to the table" says Ume as she motions Yuzu away with some food.

"I'll take it mother" says Mei as she grabs a plate to help Yuzu.

Ume can't help looking as her two beautiful daughters as they move towards the table. A sense of pride and love that she shares for them as they do for her and each other. And never in a million years did she think she'd be this happy.

It's been nearly two years since Mei became part of her family. Her father Shou had left the country years ago to find his purpose in life. He originally wanted Mei to go with him, but for her own reasons, she chose to stay.

That's how Ume met Shou while he was checking on her. And after hearing his story and the love he had for his daughter, she suggested they become a family so she can take care of Mei. And since that time, Mei has become as much a daughter to her as Yuzu. And she couldn't be happier.

But it's been more so for Yuzu and Mei.

It wasn't long ago that both Ume and Shou were told that their daughters had fallen in love with each other. A real genuine love, not just as stepsisters, but as so much more.

And as she stares at them both while they share a morning meal together, knowing that the love they have for each other is real, she realizes that she and Shou made the right decision to support their relationship.

They're happy together. What more could a mother want?

**RIIIING**

"I'll get it" said Ume as she went to answer the phone.

"So you're sure you wouldn't want me to wait for you until you leave school today?? I wouldn't mind" said Yuzu to Mei.

"No, it'll be alright" said Mei. "You'd just be waiting for hours. I wouldn't want you to be bored. But if you should decide to hang out with Taniguchi today, you should come home and change first."

"Yeah yeah, I know I know" said Yuzu, still irritated by the -no walking around town in your school uniform after school-go straight home blah blah blah- rule.

"Mei..." said Ume "phone call. It's your grandfather."

Mei's eyes widened and her body froze as she heard the name 'grandfather', as what always happens when she's in a position to see or speak with him.

"Gramps?" asked Yuzu.

A deep down feeling of both respect and intimidation moves through Mei's body as she stands up from the table to answer the phone.
Yuzu notices Mei's behavior when she gets like this regarding her grandfather. He's one of the few people in Mei's life who, at least in her mind, commands respect. But he's also the only person who Mei is afraid to disappoint.

As Mei is speaking on the phone, Yuzu can't help but be curious.

"Wonder what they're talking about?" she question to her mom.

"Don't pressure her" said Ume with a soft, but firm, tone. "It's her phone call. Let her tell us when she ready."

"... yes I understand. Goodbye" says Mei as she hangs up the phone, then turns back towards the table.