Chapter 23

Day 3

<<Speaking English>>

Traffic back to the hotel was a little easier this late afternoon. It wasn't hard for Tim to navigate the freeways, which was something of a surprise to him considering how difficult Southern California traffic can be.

As they we're getting closer to the hotel, Tim couldn't help but notice how quiet the ride was from the back of the town car. He looked through the rear view mirror to see the two young ladies with frowns on their faces, looking away from each other with their arms crossed.

He'd driven for many types of clients over the years, and they all had their own ways of dealing with problems that he never paid attention to. But this is the first time seeing the tension between two teenage women, and it made him feel uneasy.

<<Soooo I understand the traffic was bad getting there today?>> he said, trying to break the ice as he looked in the mirror. <<I hope the trip was worth the time for you.>>

There was a moment of silence as neither young women reacted to his words, feeling uneasy as he continued to pay attention to the road.

<<Yes Tim, it was>> said Mei as she continued to look outside the window. <<Thank you for aski->>

<<Tim?>> said Yuzu suddenly. <<May I speak with MISS Aihara in private please?>>

Tim was watching as he saw Miss Aihara turn her head suddenly at Miss Yuzu, with the same frown as before.

<<Oh... o... of course Ma'am>> he said as he hit a switch that raised the glass partition. He continued to look in the mirror, seeing one young lady glaring at the other as the glass closed.

'Damn, I'd hate to be in the middle of THAT conversation' he thought to himself.

- - - - - - - - - -

"So, are you going to apologize or what?" said Yuzu as she turned to look at Mei, demanding an answer.

"Apologize for what?" said Mei in her normal direct tone.

"Apologize for w...? What'd ya mean for what?! For the way you treated me back there! That wasn't fair Mei, and you know it! It's not like I knocked over that table on purpose!"

"You embarrassed us by your clumsiness" said Mei sternly as she turned her head back towards the window. "You got the attention of everyone in that room. We're supposed to be setting an example of the Aihara fami-"

"Don't give me any of that!" snapped Yuzu. "What you did to me had nothing to do with the family! You're the one who made it out to be bigger then what it was!

"It's the same thing that happened last week with your bathing suit! When you stopped me from taking about it because YOU got embarrassed!"

Mei thought for a moment, remembering last week while walking home with Himeko and Harumi.

"And just like back then, you didn't know how to handle it! Only last time you grabbed my hand, not yell at me in a room full of people!"

"I won't apologize for what I have to do to protect our image" said Mei with the same stern tone without looking at Yuzu. "And if I have to yell at you again to make my point, I will.

The world seemed to stop in the back of the town car as Yuzu froze in her seat. Shocked by what Mei just said, unsure if she heard right.

"And like the agreement you made before we left home, you're to do as I say. No questions asked. Do I make myself clear?"