Chapter 12

DAY 1

<<Speaking English>>

Yuzu couldn't help but be amazed at how well everything was going at the conference. Although she was still confused as to everything that was being talked about, she realized that the meeting was moving in the way that Mei described it to her.

Mr. Fredrick gave a very powerful speech about the firm. How well it's progressed over the past year and the confidence of its growth in the future. Afterwards, he quickly made mention of the new clientele that was visiting the conference, which included Mei representing the Aihara Corporation. Yuzu was very happy as the room applaud her, to which she stood, smiled and bowed to the crowd.

Later, Mr. Mills took to the podium and began to talk about the progress the firm had done over the past year. He behaved like any well-informed host, always smiling and charming to all the guest as he answered questions that anyone might have. But no matter how charming he was, Yuzu still felt uneasy towards him.

There were so many graphs and images displayed on the large screen that she couldn't fully understand it all. Questions were asked by the investors, each wanting to know more about different details of certain decisions made by the firm. Even Mei had the chance to ask a few questions, which was to be expected.

Yuzu was still amazed of how well Mei was fitting into the environment. She was articulate and straight forward in her questioning and knew what to ask. It was unlike anything Yuzu had noticed in Mei before.

<<... As you can see by the graph>> said Mills, <<Feliz Dulce Candies hasn't shown any real substantial growth over the last eighteen months. Only a partial growth of roughly 2.6 percent. Our recommendations, and the introduction of some new flavors to their existing candy line, hasn't achieved what was hoped.>>

<<And what were the recommendations?>> asked a representative at the table.

<<Besides the introduction of new flavors>> said Mills, <<they were asked to research newer regional locations beyond their current areas and to increase their marketing. We offered to assist in any way, but they have yet to respond. It's a family-run business, so the speculation is that different family members might be hesitant for various reasons.>>

<<And what is the firm's recommendations to resolve this?>> asked another.

<<At the moment, we're considering withdrawing our support of Feliz Dulce and looking elsewhere to invest>> he said.

<<Tell me, how many workers are currently employed with them?>> asked another rep.

<<At last count... one-hundred and twelve>> said Mills looking at his notes. <<But they could potentially have a staff of one-hundred and twenty-five. Unfortunately, unless they're willing to accept change, the company could be shut down. Which would be a shame because I've actually tried their candy, it's very good.>>

<<I have to say that I'm not comfortable with the idea of the termination of those jobs>> said the same rep.

As Mills was explaining the situation, Mei was looking over her notes, weighing in on a suggestion.

<<Mr. Mills>> she said. <<How long has the company been in business?>>

<<Almost fifty years>> said Mills.

<<As a family run business>> said Mei, <<it's possible that they feel uncomfortable with change. But since they're about to achieve a milestone in their company's history, it's feasible that they'll want to stay in business rather then loose everything. So if their current president is unwilling to make the necessary changes, then an ultimatum must be offered.