Chapter 24

Day 3

"Boy, that was fun. But I lost track of time though" said Yuzu to herself as she rode the elevator back to her suite with a towel wrapped around her waist. It wasn't until Ruth and Rudy had to leave to get dinner that she realized how late it was.

"I'm a little hungry myself. I think I'll make me some eggs or something for dinner."

Playing with little Rudy really helped her feel better after dealing with Mei's attitude earlier. It gave her a chance to calm herself and to think about what she should do. She wasn't feeling like she wanted to go back to Japan anymore, but she knew she had to try to talk to Mei about what happened.

She never liked arguing with Mei, but she never felt that angry at anyone before, not even at Mills the other day. And she had a hard time understanding why.

Although she knew now that her storming out the way she did wasn't helping, she also knew that she'd have to deal with the consequences.

But she didn't want to think about that right now. At the moment, she knew that she needed to help with Mei's report. She was wondering how far Mei got, or if she would even let her help.

'I took a lot of pictures, so I'm sure Mei will need them' she thought as she exited the elevator. 'Now I have to figure out how to talk to her without either of us blowing up at each other.'

Yuzu didn't hear anything right away as she entered the suite, trying to listen if Mei was working. She glanced around, wanting to call out for her sister who she didn't see.

As she looked around, she saw the shoes she had thrown off her feet earlier, now setting nicely near the door along with their other shoes. Her coat was also hanging neatly draped over a chair, just waiting to be put away.

"Mei?" she called out, looking in the living room. She saw Mei's laptop at the desk along with some crumpled up brochures that were flatted out. Then she noticed her phone on the living room table next to some papers.

"Mei?" she called again as she reached for her phone, knowing that Mei wouldn't leave anywhere as she walked towards the bedroom.

As Yuzu turned on the lights, she saw Mei laying down in the bed with the covers over her. She was turned on her side, away from the door so Yuzu couldn't see her face.

"Hey Mei?" she asked quietly, thinking that it was too early to go to bed, "are you asleep already?"

"...so you did come back?" asked Mei in a soft but somewhat firm tone.

Yuzu was taken aback by Mei's response, even though she kind of expected it. "Well yeah, where else am I gonna go?" she said.

Mei didn't answer or turn around to look at Yuzu. She didn't move at all, which was somewhat unnerving.

"Look... ummm... I'm sorry for storming out of here before" said Yuzu quietly. "I was just... just so mad and needed to think for a while. It's not an excuse, it's just... how I felt at the time."

Mei didn't turn around or respond, laying motionless like she wasn't listening. The silence felt disturbing to Yuzu as she tried to continue.

"And... well, I'm sorry to delay your report. I know it's important and it needs to go out soon.

"I still have the pictures I took on my phone. If you want, I can finish it up and emai-"

"There's no need" said Mei in the same soft tone. "I already finished and sent it with what I had."

"What?" said Yuzu with a startled look on her face. "Without pictures? But they're important. It isn't too late, I can still send them out for-"

"There's no need to send anything else" said Mei. "We're done for today."