Chapter 5

Ume couldn't take her arms away from both her daughters as they stood near the customs checkpoint, crying as she gave them a hug like they're going away forever.

Yuzu was hugging her mama back with both arms as well, trying not to cry like her mom. While Mei returned her mother's hug with one arm, but stayed on Ume's shoulder.

"Now I want you to call me as soon as you land, then after you get to your hotel, then everyday after that" said Ume as she was crying. "And if you both, or just one of you, wants to talk, it doesn't matter what time it is here, day or not, I want to hear from you, okay?"

"Okay, okay mama, we promise to call you every day" said Yuzu as she was wiping her tears.

Ume kissed them each on the cheek, then was shaking as she pulled away from her girls, trying to wipe her tears away. "I'm so proud of you both" she said in between tears.

She then turned to Mei and place her hand on her cheek. "And you" she said, "you're going to do great. I know it."

Mei was trying not to cry, even though her eyes were watering up. "Thank you mother" she said.

"Now... both of you... go now before I keep you away from your flight. Go go" said Ume, trying to hold back her tears.

As both of her girls passed the checkpoint and moved down the walkway, Ume began to calm herself. Thinking that her girls will be alright, except now her home will be very quiet for a week.

'I wonder if I can convince Harumi and Himeko to spend the night at least once, so it won't be so lonely' is what she was thinking.

- - - - - - - - - - -

"Attention ladies and gentlemen.  Welcome to Asian Pacific Air, flight 1711 with nonstop service to Los Angeles. As of this time, we will begin boarding our business class. Will all available parties please proceed to the Gate 9."

"Oh Wow!" said Yuzu as they walked into the business cabin of the plane. The seats were spacious, with its own TV, remote control, WiFi and Bluetooth headphones, movies of every kind to watch, pillows and a blanket, a digital menu with lots of offerings...

"And it even turns into a bed! And there's a phone too!" she said excitedly.

"YUZU!!" snapped Mei. "Keep your voice down and have a seat! This is business class. You can't be behaving like a child."

"I'm sorry Mei" says Yuzu, trying to calm down. "But I didn't think we'd have all this for a twelve hour flight. This is totally cool."

"Just calm yourself until we're in the air, then go over those notes we got this morning to add to our schedule."

"Sure thing boss" said Yuzu with a smile. "But first let me take some pics and send them to Harumi before I have to set my phone to airplane mode."

Mei let out a sigh as she placed her hand on her head, thinking this will be a really long flight.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Don't push me too high Taniguchi!" said Himeko as Harumi was pushing her on a swing at the park. Harumi couldn't help but laugh.

"Relax VeePee" said Harumi in between giggles, "you're barely leaving the ground."

"Look" said Himeko, "I agreed to meet you this morning, but don't think I'll be Yuzu's replacement."

"Hey" said Harumi, "I miss Yuzucchi, you miss your Meimei . I figured we could lean on each other until they get back."

"Well... I can see your point" says Himeko. "But we still have our homework assignments to finish, so maybe we can do that together instead."