Chapter 3

"You know, I haven't been here in so long, I forgot how fancy it was." I murmur to Crís as we take up the back, following our parents.
"You know my parents. Always gotta be somewhere fancy."
"I'd much rather be getting burgers at Freddy's than going here." I reply, wrapping my arm around his, leaning against him in my heels.
"I know, princesa. But this place has that ravioli you like."
"Yeah. I like it. It's good. What are you gonna get?"
"Filet mignon with those garlic mashed potatoes, or chicken Alfredo I haven't decided."
"What exactly is filet mignon?" I ask, sitting down in my seat between Crís and my dad.
"Steak."
"Mia." My mom says. "I noticed Drew isn't here. Is everything okay?"
"We broke up."
"I thought that would never happen."
"Yeah, well it did. We broke up, and that's fine. Nothing happened."
"Nothing but him being a cheating asshole." Crís mumbles.
"Speak up son." Miguel says.
"He's a cheating asshole and took advantage of Mia." Crís replies, sending a look Mia's way.
"I'll kill him." Nestor says.
"No, daddy. It's fine. He's happy with her. It's okay. Please."
"He's going to be real happy when he's dead and buried in the desert."
"No one is dying until after graduation."
"Well, good thing it's in 2 months." Crís replies.
"You already beat the shit out of him, Crístobal."
"Good job, son." Miguel responds. "Did you use a hammer?"
"Nah, my fists. Broke his nose and a couple ribs at least." Crís replies.
"I'm proud of you." Nestor says
"Why are you guys condoning this?" Mia asks.
"Because he deserves it."
"Maybe so, but... Drew... I wanted to do it." I say. "I wanted him to hurt the way he hurt me. He literally ripped my heart out."
"Thought you said it didn't matter." Crís snarks, sipping his wine.
"It's both okay. It does, but it doesn't."
"Alright changing the subject! Crístobal anyone new in your life?" Emily asks, glancing between the two of them.
"No."
"What happened to Jenny?" Emily asks.
"It was fun for awhile but wasn't long term." Crís replies nonchalantly.
"Oh. You're still a whore." Mia snarks.
"You know it." Crís winks, ignoring his Dads look of disapproval.
"At least you're not failing. How were your midterms?" Mia asks, sipping her drink.
"Good. All As." Crís replies.
"I got a C in math."
"Mia, we have discussed getting a tutor and how you need to spend more time working on it. A C is unacceptable." Mia's mom says.
"I'm almost done with school, and a C is not an F."
"A C is a failure and disrespectful to this family."
"That's not what dad told me." Mia snaps toward her mom.
"Your father and I will discuss this later." Mia's mom snaps back.
"Mmhm. Anyway, we have 6 days, so what are we gonna do for the next 5? Because I will sleep the whole time."
"We actually have to go out of town for business, so we only have 2 days." Miguel responds.
"Oh. We?" I ask.
"Yes, I am going with." Nestor replies, glancing at me
"Hell, if I would've known that, I would've stayed in Connecticut. What's the point of coming home if you can't spend it with your family."
"Mia, stop being disrespectful." Nestor replies.
"Disrespectful? You forgot to tell me that I would only be able to spend one whole day with you before you leave."
"Stop. We will discuss this later. This is not dinner talk."
"What is dinner talk? Work? My grades? My break up? Because that seems to be all you want to talk about."
"Stop." Nestor warns.
"Fine." Mia replies, staring at her plate.
"We could leave for Vegas early if you want." Crís whispers to me.
"Maybe." I smile at him. "Can I drive?"
"Fuck no." Crís whispers back.
"Why don't you ever let me drive. We can make it in like a couple hours."
"Unlike you, I take the speed limit for what it is. The law. Not a suggestion."
"It was one time, Crís."
"One time that resulted in a $400 ticket."
"I paid it. And did you die?" I giggle.
"What are you two whispering about over there?" Emily asks, smiling at the two of us.
"What we are gonna do for break. We gotta get more boxes so we can start packing."
"I'll have them delivered to your apartment." Miguel replies.
"Thanks uncle Mikey!" I reply, smiling at him, knowing that only my dad calls him Mikey.
"What are you guys planning?" Nestor asks.
"A road trip. I get to drive!" I say, finishing my drink.
"No you don't." Crís retorts.
"You didn't die, did you? And you weren't late either."
"Whatever but you aren't driving. Rent your own car."
"Fine, you can drive. I have plans. I'm gonna sleep."
"Dessert?" The waiter asks, interrupting the conversation.
"Cheesecake! With chocolate syrup on the side and whipped cream. Can I get more to drink too?"
"That's so gross." Crís groans, shuddering. "I'll have the chocolate cake."
"I think it's delicious."
"So, Mia. I take it you are staying with Crístobol?" Emily asks, once we are away from everyone.
"Yeah, just until after graduation. I couldn't stay in that apartment with Drew. And Crís did get there in about 10 minutes."
"I understand. I'm glad you two are such close friends." Emily replies with a knowing undertone.
"I am too! Who else is gonna kill a spider for me at 2 in the morning when I'm trying to shower?"
"Men are quite good at that, aren't they?"
"They are. Boys aren't. And I like having a whole bed to sleep in, not a quarter. You roll the wrong way, you're gonna end up on the floor."
"That is why I love having a king sized bed. I'll tell you though, it never gets better." Emily laughs.
"It's great when you're sleeping by yourself! I think so, at least I can stretch."
"Sometimes I like it when Miguel goes on his business trips."
I just laugh along with Emily.
———————————————————————————
Later that night
"It's absolutely unfair the way you get along with my mom." Crís says.
"Well Erin absolutely hates me, and I've always been a daddy's girl."
"Your mom is a bitch." Crís laughs, pulling me closer to him on the patio.
"That's why I call her Erin and not mom."
"I'm so ready for Vegas. We can get drunk as fuck and do whatever we want." Crís says, taking a shot.
"Can't wait! I'll be out of the prying eyes of my unapproving mother."
"Hell yeah, and we can go fucking crazy."
"So crazy! You might have to pry me off the penny slots like you did on my birthday!"
"You got so fucked up that night! You threw up on Joseph. He's my dads favorite security guard."
"I'll probably have to pry you off the girls too." Mia replies.
"Girls find me attractive Mia! I can't help it!"
"I know. It's your boyish charm!" I say, taking a shot.
"I wish we could just leave." Mia replies, cuddling into Crís' side.
"We can. If we go tonight. I can sneak past security, pick you up, and we can hightail it to Vegas."
"Our parents will kill us."
"So? We are adults."
"So. I don't want to die before graduation! And you know my dad still thinks of me as his baby."
"Eh, lets just go."
"How are we gonna get back to Yale? If we leave your dad is gonna send security after us, and they will follow us until after graduation."
"I'll talk to my dad, you go pack your bag."
"I never unpacked. I'll be down in 10."
"Good. Meet you down there." Crís replies, making his way inside and to his dad.
What is wrong with you Mia? He's your best friend. You can't do this now. Remember middle school? Just go get drunk, and maybe have sex. I think to myself.
"Alright, we are good to go." Crís says, carrying his bag.
"Great!" I reply, following him down the stairs. "Bye daddy! Bye Erin."
"Be safe." Nestor yells after them.
"Will do!" I yell, following Crís to the car.
"I'm gonna take a nap, wake me up when we get to Vegas!" I say, reclining the seat.
"Okay. Sleep well." Crís replies, sending a smile my way.