Chapter 9

1 and a half months later
~~~~~~~~~
"I can't believe we graduate today!" I say to Hanna, who is in my room, as I finish getting ready.
"I know. It's so exciting! I have to go, I'll meet you there."
"No! Ride with us!"
"Your parents are here, Mee, and you're the valedictorian, I don't want to get in the way."
"You won't be in the way Hans, plus, you're my best friend! Please!"
"Yeah okay. I'll ride with you, but we have to go now, I have to help the band set up, and you gotta be early."
I walk out of my room. "We gotta go, guys!"
"Ready!" Crís says, coming out of his room in his slacks and a blue dress shirt.
"Crís!" Emily squeals. "You look just like your dad."
"Thanks mom." He says before grabbing his gown. "Ready girls?"
"Yeah!"
~~~~~
"You look great, Mia." Cris murmurs in my ear.
"You don't look too bad yourself." I reply, lacing my fingers with his.
"I can't wait until our parents leave. Not touching you is killing me." Cris whines.
"Who said you couldn't touch me? They know we got married. If you want to hold my hand, hold my hand."
"Your parents don't."
"You're right. But you can still hold my hand. That's nothing new."
"It just feels odd since we are obviously more than friends now. Maybe we should just discuss this with your dad and my parents tonight at dinner. I mean I know mine know but we haven't kept them in on what's going on."
"Yeah for sure. I just hate hiding things from my dad."
"Let's tell him."
"At dinner. Now let's go, I got a speech to give."
"Break a leg."
"I might in these shoes if I trip." I laugh.
"I love you." Cris says, pecking me on the lips before making his way toward his seat.
"I love you too, Crís." I reply, heading up to the stage.
~~~~
Good morning parents, guardians, staff, faculty, and fellow students. When I was asked to write a speech, I didn't know what I was going to say. I knew I didn't want to talk about definitions or dictionaries because we are not in school right now. In my 4 years here, I have learned a few things, but the most important thing I have learned is to never take your friends for granted. They will talk you out of doing stupid things, and they never put you on a pedestal. My friends have been great to me. So, fellow graduates, if you don't remember what happened during the war of 1812, the sinking of the USS Maine, or how to say bathroom in Spanish, remember that you'll never get to where you're going if you don't go. Every day is your day, and if you don't believe me, Dr Seuss said it too. If you have ever read Oh, The Places You'll Go, then you'll know. If you haven't, he tells us that we will move mountains. That we are off to great places. That today is OUR day. Finally, I want you to remember that YOUR mountain is waiting, so get on your way, and don't forget the people that helped you get there.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"We did it!" I squeal, throwing myself at Cris.
"Hell yeah we did!" He days, spinning me in a circle.
"Great speech, Mia." Emily says.
"Thank you!" I reply, pulling away from Cris.
"Mia!" Hanna exclaims, coming over to me.
"Hanna! We did it!"
"We did! I'm so happy! I'm gonna go spend a week in Florida! Are you coming?"
"Cris and I are going to Italy." I reply, hugging her.
"Woah! Have fun! And make sure to send me a postcard!"
"Of course! You know I will!"
"I gotta go, my parents are over there. Bye Mr Oceteva!" Hanna says, walking away.
"Daddy!" I exclaim, pulling him into a hug.
"Mia! I'm so proud of you!" He says after pulling away from the hug.
"Thanks Daddy!"
"You're welcome! You ready to go get dinner? Your brother says he's starving."
"Yeah. Can we stop at the apartment first?"
"Of course."
"I'll ride with Crís and meet you guys there. We are gonna change so we don't get our good clothes all messy."
"Okay, See ya there."
~~~~~~~~~
"Cris, I'm nervous." I say, clutching his hand.
"Don't be, we got this." He squeezes my hand lightly.
"My dad is going to flip his shit."
"Well, maybe he will notice your band before he says anything. Besides, you could always lie."
"Lie about what?"
"You could say you married some stranger. Or Drew."
"Why would I do that?"
"You wouldn't. Because you can't lie for shit. There they are, let's go." Crís says, pulling me toward the table
"Okay." I sigh, pulling my hand away from his and hiding the hand that has my wedding band on it.
"I was wondering when you were going to show up." Erin says.
"I thought you weren't coming."
"And miss my daughters graduation? What kind of parent would I be if I did."
"That's funny coming from you." I mumble taking a seat next to Cris.
"Yeah? Well, I'm proud of you." Erin says with a small smile.
"Thanks."
"So." Emily says, changing the subject. "What's new?"
"Um... nothing much." I say.
"We got married." Crís says.
"Cris!" I exclaim.
"M-mar-married?" Nestor stutters out.
"Daddy...."
"When?"
"Couple months ago."
"And you didn't tell me?"
"It was in Vegas. I'm sorry."
"Vegas! It happened over spring break!"
"Yes."
"What were you two thinking!?"
"We weren't! We were drunk, and I'm pretty sure Elvis was there, but I don't know."
"That doesn't make it any better Mia. You were irresponsible and did not think about the consequences of your actions."
"We... Annulment?"
"Wait, What?" Cris asks.
"Crís. Daddy, I... we... excuse me." I get up from the table and walk to the bathroom. Emily stands up and follows me.
"Crís?" Nestor asks.
"It was an accident, but I'm not apologizing for it happening. I love her. I think I always have."
"You love her enough to risk breaking her heart? You are aware of the implications of this ends badly right?"
"Yes..."
"When they get back, we are gonna talk about this."
"Mia?" Emily asks, coming into the bathroom.
"I-I don't know what to say."
"Do you love him?"
"Yes. More than anything."
"He loves you too. He always has."
"What if it doesn't work out? It'll ruin everything."
"It has this far because you guys made it work."
"My dad is so mad."
"He's not mad, he just... He doesn't get it. You're his only daughter. You're his baby. You literally are his little girl, he wants you to be happy, and if you're not happy, he will do whatever he can to make you happy. He just needs time."
"You think?"
"I know. I was like that with my dad. Now come on, let's get back out there before Miguel sends security in here." Emily laughs.
"Okay." I reply, pulling her in for a hug. "Thank you."
"You're welcome, Mia."
"Hey." I say to Crís when I sit down, Cris smiles at me before lacing our fingers together under the table.
"Mia." Nestor says. "Look at me please."
I turn my eyes up to meet my dads. "Dad."
"Now, are you happy?"
"Yes." I reply, immediately, without hesitation.
"What makes you happy?"
"Crís. I've never been happier."
"Good. I'm glad you're happy. How about dessert to celebrate?" Nestor says with a smile.
"Lava cake?" I ask.
"Wait." Crís says.
"What?"
"Mia. I have a question."
"Okay...." I reply, confused.
Crís gets down on one knee, pulling my ring from his pocket. "Will you marry me?"
"We're already married, silly." I reply, resting my hand on his cheek.
"I promised you that I would ask you."
"Yes, Crís, I will marry you." I say with a smile.
"Awe! Yay!" Emily squeals as Crís slips the ring on my finger. Getting up and walking over to us to hug us.
"Hold on a second. We are gonna wait a while to have a real wedding."
"What? Why?"
"Well we are already married. We just want to have some time to get settled. I mean we gotta buy a house, and all that other stuff that adults do."
~~~~~~~~~
"As much as I love you guys, and packing, it's late and I'm tired." I say with a yawn, sitting in the couch.
Crís comes over and rubs my back as he sits down next to me. "We can handle it in here, why don't you head to bed."
"No. I can't do that." I reply with a yawn, leaning into Crís. "I can't expect you all to pack this by yourselves."
"Come on, there are 5 of us, we got this, you go to bed, we can pack up your room tomorrow."
I just yawn and close my eyes.
"Let's get you to bed." Cris laughs, ushering me to my bed.
"Night." I murmur already dozing off. "I love you."
"I love you too." Cris says, leaning down and planting a kiss on my forehead.