Chapter 6

I wake up and roll over. What time is it? Why am I naked? Where's my phone? Where am I? Oh god, who's next to me? I peak over immediately recognizing Cris' back, noticing the claw marks down his back. I glance under the covers seeing his naked ass.
"Crís." I shake him awake. "Wake up, we gotta go."
"No... 5 more minutes." He mumbles pulling the pillow over his head.
"Crís. We gotta..." I stop talking when I see the ring on my left hand. "Crís." I pull the pillow away from him.
"What!?" Cris exclaims, peaking an eye open.
"What did we do last night? Show me your left hand."
"Why? Just leave me alone and let me sleep."
"Crístobal! Show me your left hand."
"What's the big fucking deal? I am too fucking hungover for your bullshit."
"Now!"
"Why should I...." Cris cuts off glancing and his fingers confused about the ring on his left ring finger.
"I have one too."
"Oh god." Cris murmurs.
"And according to your go pro, Elvis did it."
"You married Elvis? Who'd I marry?"
"No! Elvis married us. We married each other!"
"Oh fuck. We can fix this. Just get it annulled."
"Let's just go back to school, we can deal with this later.
"No. I want to get divorced first! Our parents are going to fucking kill us."
"We haven't been married for 24 hours and you want to break up?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.
"Then I want a fucking annulment! Whatever it is."
"Crís. This means we had sex last night, and I don't think we remembered to use a condom."
"My life is fucking over." Cris groans, pulling his pants on.
"I'm glad you feel that way. Call your dad, I'm gonna go take a shower."
"You know what I mean. Don't make me out to be the bad guy." Cris yells, his face turning red.
"Your life is over. You can't be a player anymore. Some girls are attracted to wedding ring. You want an annulment, call your dad, have him send us the papers. When we get back, I can start looking for my own place." I get out of bed and walk toward my bag.
"Wait. Wait. I'm sorry. It came out wrong. This is just all fucking fucked up. You're my best friend and I love you but I don't want to marry you." Cris replies, rubbing a hand over his face.
"We got married when we were drunk in Vegas. Doesn't mean anything." I grab my clothes and walk toward the bathroom.
"What does it mean for our friendship?" Cris murmurs.
"We probably shouldn't be friends anymore. I'll call you and let you if I end up pregnant."
"Like fucking hell. We've been friends since we were in diapers. So fucking what? We got married? It can be annulled and we can go back to the way it was before. No big deal."
"I didn't like things the way they were before. But it's your choice too."
"What are you talking about?" Cris asks, confused in his foggy state.
"I fucking love you, Crístobal! Can't you see that?"
"I love you too." Cris replies, still confused.
"No. I love you. The way I loved Drew until he got abusive and cheated."
"Mia.... I....." Cris breaks off not knowing what to say.
"You should call your dad, I'll look for an apartment when we get back to Connecticut."
"We can stay married." Cris reasons. "I don't want to lose our friendship."
"You don't want that. You didn't want that 5 minutes ago, why now?"
"If it means I don't lose you, I'll do whatever you want."
"Let's deal with this after finals. I have too much to worry about to do this right now. I'm gonna go shower. You should clean up in here. It's a mess."
"Mia, if we don't deal with this now it'll just push us further apart. Plus we won't be able to get an annulment at that point, it'll be a divorce and we will have to tell our parents."
"I want to stay married. It's almost like we were anyway. We just slept in different rooms. Our parents will find out. Erin will call me a whore, my dad will probably want to kill you, your mom will be proud, and your dad will want to kill us both."
"Even more reason to get an annulment before any of them even have to find out."
"This was your idea. You get to take the reins on this."
"I was drunk and on E."
"I was too. I could argue that I couldn't consent. A judge will gladly grant us an annulment for that!"
"Exactly, neither of us were in our right minds."
"I just wish I could remember." I walk into the bathroom and shut the door.
"The GoPro recorded it." Cris yells after me.
I open the door. "Great! A drunken night in Vegas, AND a sex tape. I'm definitely moving out now!"
"I haven't gotten that far into the tape..... I was talking about the wedding. Wait. Were you talking about the sex?" Cris asks, looking over at me.
"Yeah." I reply, walking out of the bathroom.
"I'm sure it was okay!" Cris yells after me.
"I can't remember it. I can't remember anything. But what I do know is my best friend suddenly isn't my best friend anymore."
"Wait. Why am I not your best friend anymore?"
"I just don't think it would be a good idea. You really should call your dad. He has good lawyers, we can get this dealt with before we even leave the airstrip."
"Okay." Cris murmurs, sitting down on the bed and pulling out his phone.
"I'm gonna go grab a bagel, you want anything?"
"No." Cris replies, shortly.
"Be back in 5." I leave the room, the tears finally leaving my eyes.
"Hey dad...." Cris says when his dad answers.
"Crís. Is everything okay? You sound worried."
"Um... I messed up." Cris sighs, running his hands through his hair.
"What did you do? What did you break? How much is it gonna cost?" Miguel asks.
"My best friend." Cris murmurs, tears welling up in his eyes, he wipes them away before they can fall.
"What? You hurt Mia? Crís, how?"
"I don't know how it happened. We got drunk and took some E and ended up getting married. I don't know what to do, dad. Things are a fucking mess and it's all my fault."
"What do you want to do? You want to stay married? Or have it annulled? Where is Mia?"
"Who got married?" Emily asks, hearing Miguel's side of the conversation.
"She's down getting food. I don't know what I want. She's my best friend, dad."
"Crís and Mia." Miguel says to Emily. "What does she want, son?"
"To stay married."
"Crís and Mia got married!?" Emily shouts excitedly
"He doesn't want to stay married." Miguel replies to Emily.
"What?! Give me the phone!"
"Mom...."
"How could you do that to her? Did you fuck her too?"
"It was an accident. We were drunk." Cris replies feeling uncomfortable at his moms words.
"An accident! Crís, falling off a bike, or breaking a lamp is an accident. You don't accidentally get married and fuck your best friend and then break her heart. We can't help you. You have to deal with this on your own."
"I didn't mean to break her heart. I didn't even know she had feelings for me."
"Then be a man, Crís. You've always known. And you have feeling for her too."
"Mom, I need help." Cris begs, his voice cracking. "I don't know what I feel."
"We aren't going to help you. You did this. If it means you lose your best friend, then you shouldn't have been stupid enough to make her think that you actually return the feelings that she has for you."
"Mom.... put dad back on the phone."
"He wants to talk to you." Emily says to Miguel.
"Son, I agree with your mom. You gotta figure this mess out on your own. We can't get you out of it."
"I can't lose her, dad. She's the only person who gets me. She understands my silence, I can be myself around her."
"Talk to her. Work it out. Be honest with her. If you guys are meant to be in each other's lives then it'll work out one way or another." Miguel responds.
"We had sex. We didn't use a condom. What if she's pregnant?"
"Morning after pill." Miguel suggests. Emily smacks him over the head.
"I told her I don't want anyone else to have my kids. I remember that. It's not a lie."
"You really did fuck shit up."
"Will you just bring a lawyer and the paper work and meet us at the airstrip?"
"No." Miguel responds and hangs up.
"What did your dad say?" Mia asks, walking back into the room.
"They won't help us. It's on us." Cris sighs, throwing his phone. "What the fuck did we do Mia?"
"Then we can go sign the papers before we leave for Yale. We got married."
"Is that what you really fucking want, Mia?"
"What I really fuckinging want, Crís, is my best friend. But I know now that I can't have that. We should go, so we can get back in time."
"Just shut up for one fucking minute and let me talk."
"Talk." I say, biting the inside of lip and scowling.
"We are going to fucking stay married until we figure our shit out. You aren't fucking moving out and we aren't fucking quitting being friends. We are going to fucking figure out what to do. If you are fucking pregnant we will figure that fucking out too."
"Okay." I say, picking all my stuff up off the floor.
"I'm going to fucking shower." Cris growls, slamming the bathroom door behind him.
"Could've been worse." I say to myself. Picking up all of my stuff. "Chocolate syrup? Ooh the good kind. I'm throwing this away." I continue talking to myself.
"Good idea." Cris growls, coming out of the bathroom.
"Do you want me to take the morning after pill?" I ask.
"I don't fucking know."
"Stop fucking cussing at me, or you're going to make things worse."
"Fine." Cris sneers, dropping his towel and pulling his briefs on.
"I'm going out for a bit. I'll be back in 20." I say, taking my bag and walking out to the car, keys in hand.
"Finally!" Cris exclaims, throwing his hands up as I walk to the car.
I get in the car, and pull out of the parking lot, going about 90. I find the nearest pharmacy and pulling into the lot.
"You're going to get us fucking killed." Cris exclaims.
"You didn't have to come. I can take care of myself. Get out."
"No."
"Fine. Then stay here." I say, turning off the car, taking the keys, and walking inside. I walk up to the pharmacy counter and ask for the morning after pill.
"What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas right?" The pharmacist asks.
"I wish." I reply, paying for the pill.
"Uh-oh. Best friend?"
"How'd you know?"
"I've seen it before. You get drunk, get married, have hot sex, and then you fight, take the pill, go home, and never talk to each other again. You're going to need to take another pill in 12 hours."
"Okay." I murmur, brain going into overdrive at the thought of losing Cris. I make my way back out to the car, going to the passenger side. "You drive."
"Okay." Cris replies, climbing out and taking the keys from me before starting the drive to the airstrip. The air conditioner is the only sound the entire drive, this is the first uncomfortable silence I have ever had with Cris.
———————————————————————————
"I'm gonna take a nap." I reply, sitting in the seat farthest from Crís.
"Okay."  Cris replies, going to the opposite side of the plane, and putting his headphones in.
I wait until he puts his headphones in and turn over so he can't my face. For the second time today I cry. Why am I an idiot? Why did I let this happen? Why did I have to be that person? I should move.
"Miss, the plane has landed and you can get off."
"What? Thank you."
"Mr Galindo told me to tell you that he will be home later."
"Of course he will be. Thank you, Mr Wilson." I reply, walking toward the car. I don't really want to be alone, so I call my friend Hanna.
"Han. Are you back? We gotta talk."
"Yeah, what's up?"
"You at the dorm? I'll tell you when I get there."
"Yeah, see ya soon." Hannah replies.
"I'll text you when I'm there. Bye!" I hang up, and speed off toward the college. As soon as I get there, I pull into a parking space and let Hanna know I'm there.
"Come on up." Hannah replies, buzzing me in. "What happened?" Hannah asks as soon as I walk in the door.
"Crís and I got married in Vegas last night and I'm pretty sure we had sex. Then this morning it's like a switch flipped and he hates me."
"You had sex with your best friend? And you're okay with that?"
"I'm in love with him."
"Woah, okay, have a seat right here. You're in love with your best friend, and you got married?"
"Drunk married. Elvis was there."
"You know what, that sounds like a recipe for disaster."
"I know, Hanna, okay. But I can't imagine my life without him, and now we aren't friends. Anyway, I need your help with something."
"Anything." Hannah replies.
"New York is an hour and a half drive from here. 45 minutes if I drive. Let's go and toss this stupid ring in the ocean."
"Oh fuck no! That's a couple thousand easy. If you do that there is no coming back."
"He said himself he doesn't want to be married. Will you at least come with me to the lawyer?"
"I'm not letting you toss the ring, but I'll go to the lawyer. I think you need to let him cool off and talk to him when you are both calm. He obviously cares about you. He probably has the same fears you are having."
"I highly doubt that." I scoff, rolling my eyes.
"Take a minute and look at it from his point of view. He wakes up naked with his best friend in the whole wide world, married to her. Then he finds out you have feelings for him and he's scared of that, and losing you because he knows there is no win here. You guys stay married and it might not work out, he loses you. You guys get an annulment, he loses you. There is no win. That man obviously loves you, he's just scared."
"We need to go. The lawyer is expecting me. I'm scared too."
"Okay." Hannah sighs.
"Hello. Mia Oceteva, here to see Mr Duncan." I say to the receptionist when Hanna and I walk in.
"He's in with a client. Take a seat and I'll take you back when he's free."
"How much do you want to bet that he's with Crís?" I ask Hanna.
"He probably is."
"I'm gonna need a new place to live. And I have to repack. That shouldn't take too long, I never really unpacked. Kind of just pushed all boxes against the wall. The dorms seem nice."
"Stop rambling, Mia." Hanna says as I start to fidget with the ring on my finger.
"Mia, Mr Duncan will see you now." The receptionist says.
"But no one came out."
"Go, Mia. I will push you." Hanna says.
"Just knock."
"Come in."
"Hi, Mr Duncan." I say as I close the door.
"Mrs Galindo, welcome."
"Mia. Oceteva. Not Galindo, that's why I'm here."
"My apologies."
"I need to get an annulment."
"I spoke to Mr Galindo."
"What did he say?"
"I can not grant you the annulment. He was against it. Instead, he has something he wants me to run by you. You can read the paperwork here. Let me know if you have any questions."
"What? I-I'm sorry, can you repeat that?"
"Just read the papers."
"I don't speak law. I studied socially, can you dumb it down for me?"
"Basically, he refuses to let me grant you the annulment until a later date. He wants to give the marriage a shot. After 72 days, if the marriage isn't working the annulment will be processed and nothing will be lost."
"Can I sue him? Is that an option? I feel like that should be an option here Mr Duncan."
"You can file for divorce, but it will be a long, messy process if he doesn't want to grant you one. It could take years."
"What else is in the paperwork?" I ask.
"You are a married couple in the eyes of the law. And if you throw your ring in the ocean, you have to pay him back."
"I'm gonna sue him. This is stupid! He didn't want to be married and now he's changing his mind? 72 days?"
"He thought you'd say that so he left a note for you. In his own words." Mr Duncan says, passing me the note.
"Well I don't want to read it. I need to go find a new apartment." I say, putting the not on the desk.
"That is also a clause in the agreement. You must remain living on the premises to actually give the marriage a chance."
"I hate him! I'm not sleeping in the same bed as him, he can't even remember fucking me!"
"You don't have to, you will still have your own room."
"Fine. He wins."
"There is a no seeing other people clause as well. That includes any form of seeing other people, sexually and romantically."
"So if he sees someone else in the time of our marriage we can can get an annulment?"
"Yes."
"I'd love, love to see him try to keep it in his pants for 72 days. Because I'm not having sex with him. Unless there's a clause for that too."
"That is between the two of you. If there is cheating it has to be documented. There is no sleeping with him clause."
"I'm gonna go drown my sorrows in beer and ice cream. Thanks for your help Mr. Duncan."
"Mr Galindo is waiting for you. Please sign on the marked spot." Mr Duncan says, pointing to the spot.
"He's gonna be waiting a while. Is there anything else in here that I need to know about? That could scar me emotionally. He already broke my heart once." I say, crossing my arms, and leaning back in the chair.
"He has added that you guys must go on one date per week."
"Have you met him? His idea of a date is pizza and sex. That's not gonna happen."
"The dates must be agreed on by both parties."
"Give me your pen." I sigh, sitting up.
"If you have any questions please feel free to stop by or call. I also suggest you read his note. It will offer peace of mind and an explanation."
I sign the sheet and walk out, taking the note with me. "Hanna. Let's go." I say, walking back to the lobby.
"Did you get it annulled?" Hannah asks, standing up and following me.
"No. Crís won't let that happen. 72 days."
"Oh damn! He "Just Married" You!" Hannah exclaims, referencing the Ashton Kutcher movie.
"I'll explain it more once we get there. I need some ice cream." I say, walking out and getting in the car. "What does that even mean?"
"The movie? You know with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz?"
"No. I don't watch rom coms."
"Oh, well they got married in Vegas and tried to get it annulled but the judge made them stay together after they won a bunch of money, and they end up falling in love."
"I have 72 days. I have until the end of the semester to fall in love with him." I say after a few bites of ice cream.
"Bitch, you already admitted you are in love with him. He has 72 days to figure out his feelings."
"Not after that stunt he pulled in Vegas! I cried myself to sleep on the plane only to be woken up by the pilot! He couldn't have woken me up?"
"Liar, you can't stop loving him that quickly, you are just mad."
"I have every right to be mad! He basically told me he didn't love me! I didn't expect him too, but he could've let me down gently."
"You do, I agree. I think he loves you he just doesn't understand his feelings."
"He put a clause in the stupid agreement that I can't toss my ring in the ocean. It's like he knew!"
"He knows you so well." Hanna laughs.
"And I have to stay living there. How am I supposed to do that?"
"That's a good idea. Give this a shot. Just take it one day at a time."
"Hanna! We hate each other remember! Oh! And weekly dates! His idea of a date is pizza and sex, and that's not happening again."
"I'm sure he will surprise you. You guys don't hate each other."
"And I'm waiting for Erin to call so she can say I'm a whore, and whatever else she has to say. It's not like we planned this! His parents are cool with it though."
"Fuck your mom. She's a cunt. Just don't answer."
"She's gonna use my dads phone to call. You know I'm a daddy's girl, I always answer when he calls."
"Jesus fuck. Just hang up if it's her. Dumbass."
"This is why we are friends. You're the smart one. Now come on, I'll take you back to the college. I have to go home sometime, right?"
"Okay." Hannah replies, climbing in the car. I head to the college and drop her off.
"Here we are." I smile at her after putting the cat in park.
"Drive slower next time. I thought you were gonna kill me on that turn."
"Did you die though?"
———————————————————————————
I got back to the apartment complex and just sat in the car. Maybe I can get a bus ticket to Alaska. Change my name. Learn how to ice fish. No, I have a fish allergy. What if I move to Austria. They don't have business out there, I could live there. I don't want to leave. Where's that stupid letter. I search my bag for it, and I uncrumple it and begin reading.
Mia, I know you are probably pissed and rightfully so. I know you don't understand why I am doing what I'm doing, so I'm going to try to explain myself. I have feelings for you, I just don't understand them. I can't handle losing you. The thought terrifies me. I need time to figure it out, and in the meanwhile I want us to give this relationship shit a chance. I don't want to have sex with you, I know that's what you are thinking I'm doing this for, but I'm not. I want us to work on us. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone but you, granted I thought it would be as friends, but I want this to work. I want you to be the mother of my future children. You know me better than anyone, and you understand me, we just click. It's going to be a rough road, and I'm going to fuck up multiple times, you're probably going to hate me at some point (obviously you do now, but I mean again) but I think we can make this work. I just want a chance. If it's not working by the end of the time period, then I'll give you the annulment and I'll leave you alone. I'll hate it, not having you in my life, but I'll do it. I'm going to show you that I'm good enough to be your husband. We will make this work. I'm sorry for today. I just didn't know what to do. I don't know how I feel, but I know I feel something more than friendly. Just give this an honest shot.
Love,
Crís.
Well fuck.
———————————————————————————
"Crís!" I yell, shutting the door to the apartment. "Are you home?"
"In the kitchen." Cris replies.
"Hey." I smile as I lean against the counter.
"I take it you went and talked to the lawyer?" Cris asks, sipping his beer.
"I also read the note. I'm willing to try, but the first time you let me down, I am tossing this ring in the ocean." I laugh.
"I won't let you down. I'm sorry for how I acted this morning. I was lost and confused and scared and I had no idea what to do. The thought of losing you terrifies me. I didn't mean the stupid shit I said."
"I get it. It hurt my heart, really bad, but I'm here now. I am just as committed to this as you are."
"I know if we just give this a shot it'll work out. We already act like a married couple not much is going to change."
"Well, you play basketball, what is it coach said in high school? You only miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take."
"Something like that."
"Since we are married, can I have one of those hugs you only give me on special occasions?"
"Get over here." Cris replies with a smile, opening his arms. I sit  my bag and keys down, and squeal as I walk toward him.
"This is great." I say as his arms wrap around me.
"It is." Cris sighs, wrapping his arms tightly around me, one of his hands going to my hair and guiding my head into his chest.
"I could fall asleep like this." I whisper, burying my face in his shirt and inhaling the scent of his cologne.
"I'm hungry." Cris murmurs.
I pull away and look up at him. "Way to ruin the moment."'I laugh. "But I am too. Ice cream is not a suitable meal."
"Chinese? Pizza?" Cris asks.
"Panda Express."
"I'll have it delivered. I'm still hungover as fuck and I just want to shower and be lazy."
"The extra egg roll is mine. Go shower."
"I'll order a buttload of egg rolls because you aren't eating mine. I want crab Rangoon too."
"I'll still eat your egg rolls. Remember that time I ate like 20 and got sick?"
"I'm eating your rice then." Cris replies, calling the Panda Express and placing our regular order making sure to add a bunch of egg rolls and fortune cookies.
"You can have it! Don't forget to ask for extra fortune cookies!" I reply, walking toward my room to take off my shoes. "Crís?"
"Yeah? It's ordered."
"Where's my stuff? It's not here." I look around my room not seeing boxes. I turn to look at him.
"It's unpacked. I had someone come and set up your room while we were on vacation. Before we ended up married." Cris replies, opening the closet.
"That makes me feel better, but it's in the wrong order. Color codes."
"Deal with it." Cris laughs. "I'm going to shower."
"I will. Need some help?" I ask, winking at him
"With what?" Cris asks, confused.
"Your shower, bobo!"
"No."
"Your loss! I'll pay for the food."
"Like I told you, I'm not having sex with you." Cris replies.
"No sex for 72 days?"
"No sex for 72 days."
"Okay. I'm gonna take that second pill, and fix this mess."
"Okay." Cris replies, heading toward his room, taking his shirt off on the way.
"Hey, just one last thing." I say, standing in the doorway of my room.
"Yeah?" Cris asks, turning around.
"I would love to be the mother of your kids someday." I smile and shut the door, leaving him in the hall.

*Are you rooting for Cría? Or do you not want them to end up together? Will they make it to 72 days? Let me know what you think!*