Chapter 7

"Food is here!" Cris yells.
"I am where the food is!" I yell from right behind him.
"Jesus fuck." Cris jumps, nearly dropping the food.
"You know I'm really good at sneaking up on people. Ballet has been a big help."
"Let's eat and discuss things." Cris says, bringing the food to the coffee table.
I sit down on the floor and grab a fork since I don't know how to use chopsticks. "So one date a week?"
"Yeah. Date night."
"Okay. How about we get to take turns picking what we do.  72 days is 2 and a half months, so 10 weeks, that means 5 each."
"Sounds like a plan."
"One more thing about date night. Let's not be indoors every time. Let's do new things. New York is 45 minutes away if you let me drive."
"You aren't driving." Cris laughs.
"Why don't you ever let me drive? I feel so useless sometimes. I haven't killed anyone yet."
"Anyways, we will stay in separate rooms, go on dates, and act like a couple."
"Am I allowed to tell all my friends da that Elvis married us?"
"Maybe we should keep it on the D.L. That we got married in case this doesn't work out and we end up annulled it's easier that way."
"I told Hanna. Not about Elvis, but us being married. She took it well."
"That's fine. I just think we shouldn't tell a lot of people. The people close to us can obviously know."
"So what you're saying is, instead of going to the lawyer I should've driven to New York to throw my ring in the river so I'm not tempted to wear it everyday and tell people?!"
"Calm down. If you want to tell people, tell people. It just might end up being difficult if it doesn't work out."
"Yeah. Anything else?"
"No sex, no kissing."
"But those are all things that married people do. How are we supposed to be a "married couple" of we can't even kiss?"
"I agree, but if it doesn't work out then it's going to be harder to go back to friends. Fine, kissing is fine, but no sex. That means no teasing either."
"I can do that. If there's nothing else, I'd like to eat in my room."
"Do you have anything we should discuss?"
"Nope. Took the morning after pill and got my birth control refilled. I'll be in my room." I reply grabbing my chick and egg rolls along with a handful of fortune cookies.
"Okay." Cris replies, taking a bite of his food."
"I'll probably be in there the rest of the night. Have a good night."
"Okay. Goodnight."
I shut the door and set my food down. I look down at the ring on my hand. How could I be so stupid? Why am I doing this to myself? I am setting myself up for heartbreak. I take the ring off and set it on my desk. I take a deep breath and text my friend Roy.
I need advice. I send, and chew on the inside of my lip waiting for a response.
What's up?
I made a mistake. A big mistake.
What did you do?
I got drunk in Vegas and married Crís and now we have a stupid agreement bag we have to be married for the next 72 days to give this marriage a shot.
Oh god.
He and I both know it won't work. I'm pretty sure we had sex last night, so I took the morning after pill.
Why do you think it won't work?
Crís is just like his dad. He has 2 moods. Happy and sweet, or sour and aggressive. I saw both of them today. One of them hurt, and the other one I just can't deal with. It's like he's 2 different people sometimes.
You've been friends with him your entire life. You know how to handle him. It's not going to change much.
Being friends with him is different than being married to him.
Treat it like you guys are friends that are trying to be in a relationship.
Friends with a 4500 dollar wedding ring. I never wanted this! I was happy suffering in silence.
Damn! That's insane. This is the perfect opportunity for you to get what you want.
I'll send you a picture of it. What i want is sex, but I can't have sex for 72 days. You're gay, Roy, you've been there.
Why? I'd ask your husband.
He said no. It would just be hard to go back to being friends.
Tease him. Make him crack. Show him what he will be missing.
He said no to that too. Do you remember I Love Lucy when Lucy and Ricky sleep in different beds? We sleep in separate rooms.
So? Be subtle.
Subtle? Like undoing an extra button on my shirt? Or pulling my shorts up a little?"
Yeah. Maybe wear more shorts and dresses. Heels. Brush against him more. Talk about sex more.
He does love me in heels. Why do I feel like you're speaking from experience?
Because I am.
Talk about sex more. What do you mean? You know I'm blunt.
Mention being horny or something. Make sexual innuendos. That kind of thing.
Thanks Roy. Remind me to send you flowers if we make it to 72 days. I miss you. We need to hang out this summer.
Of course babe. Goodnight and good luck.
Night.
I put my phone down and sit down in my desk chair. Tomorrow is gonna be different.
———————
"Morning." Cris yawns, walking into the kitchen without a shirt on.
"Morning." I reply, waiting for my waffle in the toaster. I was wearing a tight black top that showed my chest and my panties.
"How'd you sleep?" Cris asks.
"Good once I changed. It's hot in here."
"We can turn the AC down." Cris suggests, still wearing boxer briefs.
"That would be great! How did you sleep?" I ask, grabbing my waffle from the toaster and putting the plate on the counter.
"Okay."
"We should get a dog so I have a cuddle buddy." I say, bending down to get the milk and syrup out of the fridge, knowing Crís is staring at my ass.
"I don't want a dog."
"Well I do." I say standing up and putting the items on the counter. "I want a cuddle buddy."
"Figure something else out. I'm allergic to dogs."
"Fine I'll get a bird. Teach it to cuss at Erin in Spanish."
"Birds creep me the fuck out."
"Is that why you ran away from that peacock at the zoo?" I ask.
"Yes."
"Oh dear." I reply, putting my hands over my mouth to hide my laugh.
"We can revisit the animal issue after the 72 days."
"Yeah. If we make it that long." I reply, putting some syrup on my waffle.
"Way to have faith." Cris retorts, pouring himself coffee.
"Will you get a glass down for me? I can't reach them."
"Yeah." Cris replies, coming up behind me and grabbing a glass down.
"Not that one. The purple one, with the Disney characters on it." I reply, grinding my ass on him a little.
"You're such a child sometimes." Cris replies, putting the glass back and grabbing the other one, his hand resting on my hip.
"It's my favorite one! It has a built in straw!" I take it from him when it gets to my level. "What are you doing today, Crís?" I ask, biting into my waffle.
"Nothing. Being lazy." Cris replies, stretching his arms above his head.
"I have a dance thing, we have a recital next week, so my schedule is gonna be crazy."
"Have fun." Cris replies, taking a sip of his coffee.
"I never do. I swear my teacher hates me. Maybe because I'm the only one who takes pointe seriously."
"Quit then."
"My family doesn't quit."
"Who gives a fuck what they want. It's your life. Make the best of it."
"You heard Erin, a C is an F because a C is not an A."
"Fuck your cunt of a mother. It's your fucking life."
"It's the last recital before the year ends, and dad said he'd be there. But he always says that and never is, so if it's the same, I would t be surprised."
"I'm sure he will do his best to be there."
"Maybe." I reply. Finishing my waffle and milk, putting my dishes in the sink. "I'll be home late tonight. You don't have to wait up for me."
"Okay. Have a good day." Cris says, picking up his coffee and heading for the couch.
"I will." I reply, going to my room and pulling on a black t shirt and shorts, grabbing my bag, and leaving. "Bye Crís."
"Bye." Cris mumbles.
Wow, he seems so interested. I didn't even get a Bye Mia. He ALWAYS says Bye Mia. Oh well, least of my worries.
"Ms Oceteva, you're late."
"At least I showed up. I can leave, seeing as I'm the only actual person who comes to practice regularly."
"Then go."
"Bye guys! Have fun with Oscar the grouch!" I say to my fellow dance partners.
"Don't come to the recital. You are done."
"I will, just to egg your car. I didn't come here to dance."
"You have been removed from the roster."
"I'm not gonna miss you, or this class. Bye bitches."
"Leave or be removed by security."
"I'm actually good friends with security!" I say before flipping off the teacher and walking out. "One more thing, watch your back." I walk down the hall mentally highfiving myself.
"I will be calling the police and reporting your threat."
"It wasn't a threat! The police know where I live!" I walk out of the building and to my car. I take a deep breath and start laughing.
———————
"Mia? That you?" Cris yells, from the couch.
"Yeah. I kind of told my teacher that I didn't care about class anymore since I was the only one who showed up."
"Good for you." Cris replies, eyes still glued to the tv, still in his boxer briefs without a shirt.
"Yeah, but I got banned from dancing in the recital."
"Isn't that what you wanted?"
"Turn and look at me if you wanna talk."
"Geeze, Mia. Chill out." Cris says.
I don't say anything, I just walk to my room and slam the door, hard. Chill out? Chill out? I'll show him chill. I think to myself.
Cris sighs, rubbing his hand over his face, turning back to the TV.
"I'll be home later. I'm going to hang out with Hanna." I lie walking out of my room with my gym bag and out the front door.
"Whatever." Cris mumbles.
He doesn't even care. Fine. He told me to chill, I'm gonna go swim. The one thing he hates more than anything. I am totally gonna send him bikini pics too! Is that too far? Who cares.
Cris sighs, throwing the remote down on the coffee table. He rubs his hand over his face attempting to wipe away the bad dream he had, being unable to shake the feeling of dread. He questions whether he made the right decision or not.
I took a few pictures, sending them to Crís before going to catch up with my friends. "Guys. Wanna party later?"
Why'd you send that?
Because I look cute. And as your wife, I'm allowed too.
Lol cool.
I'm probably not gonna be home tonight. Justin, Maya, and Ricky are having a party. I'll probably spend the night there.
Cris doesn't reply, deciding instead to leave her on read.
That's cool. Not the first time. But I'm gonna party it up with my friends tonight!
"Last liquor store run." I say. "You guys want anything specific?"
"No."
"Okay! I'll be back in 20." I walk outside, making a list on my phone of everything I needed to get. I need to stop sat the store and get snacks too. I'm gonna text Crís, even if he doesn't reply, at least he'll know I'm okay.
Cris pulls out a bottle of Bacardi 151 and begins chugging it hoping to drown out his thoughts.
Hey Crís. I don't know if you're still mad at me, but I'm sorry about my little outburst. I was just frustrated. I'll see you tomorrow.
M not maddddd....
Are you drunk?
Noooooo..
Crístobal Galindo, don't you dare lie to me.
U can't c it but I rolled my eyes.
Crís... what is this about? Why are you doing this?
I don't know. I'm sad. And scared.
What happened? Did you have another nightmare?
Yes. It was about us.
What happened in your nightmare, Crís?
We didn't work out and I lost my best friend.
Crís, if things keep going the way they did today, that's gonna happen. You know how I am about feeling ignored.
I should have just given you the annulment.
We both signed it. I'll come home and we can talk about this. And then I'll take you to Denny's.
I'm not at home.
Where are you then?
I left.
Where are you, Crís?
I don't know.
Hold on a sec. I switch to my find your friend app and punch in his number. Don't move, I'm coming to get you.
I took the train.
Buddy, the train doesn't run this time of night. I'll be there in 10
Then what did I take?
Probably a hallucinogen. Keep talking, Bud.
I didn't do drugs. I did alcohol.
Okay. I'm almost there.
I took a cab!
Yes. A yellow train. Remember that?
It was green.
That was an Uber. I'm here.
"Mia!" Cris yells, stumbling and falling over. "Oh shit. I fell."
"I got you. Let's get you home." I reply, helping him up and into the car
"No! I can't go back there."
"Why?"
"Because."
"Because why?" I ask sitting down next to him.
"Because it's sad there."
"Why is it sad?" I ask, putting an arm around him.
"It Just is. You wouldn't understand."
"I would if you told me. I can't help you if you talk to me."
"I don't know how to explain it."
"Please try, Crís. I want to help you, but I can't. I know you're a suffer in silence type, but that's not gonna work. Not now."
"I just don't know how to act around you anymore and I keep acting like an asshole and being there brings up all of these memories of better times before everything was all fucked up and I know we can't go back to that."
"Buddy, you can act all you want, but I'm the only one who speaks your language. We can make more memories of better times, Crís, we just have to have better times. Why don't we stay somewhere else tonight? I can get a room with two beds."
"No! One bed! Cuddles!"
"Okay. But you need to get in the car."
"Fine." Cris grumbles trying to stand up. He finally pulls himself up and stumbles to the car and climbs in.
I get in on the drivers side and reach over to pull his seat belt around him. "Safety first." I joke before pulling on my seat belt and driving to the nearest hotel.
"I love you, Mia." Cris slurs.
"I love you too, Crís. But what kind of love are we talking here?"
"Love love."
"Love love. I didn't know you felt that."
"I told you my feelings are all fucked up." Cris mumbles
"You know what else is fucked up? The silent treatment."
"I know. I just didn't know what to say."
"And another thing. You didn't want anything to change, but this morning you just bye, with no emotion. Every morning I get a hug and you say Bye Mia."
"I was still stuck replaying my nightmare." Cris slurs.
"Why didn't you tell me about it sooner?" I ask, pulling into the hotel parking lot.
"Because it was about you dummy."
"All the more reason to tell. Now, let's go inside, and get you in the shower." I unbuckle my seatbelt and his.
"Shower with me." Cris mumbles.
"Oh, no. Not happening."
"I'm going to need help."
"You can sit. Just lather yourself up."
"I will need someone to wash my back."
"If you're good and be quiet while I check us in." I say, wrapping my arm around his waist and walking to the desk.
"Okay."
"Alright. Now I'm gonna turn the air on, you get naked and get in the shower." I say after the door closes.
"I can get naked." Cris laughs, dropping his pants.
"I want you in the shower by the time I get back." I tease.
"Being bossy turns me on." Cris says, looking down at the bulge in his boxer briefs.
"Too bad you're drunk and don't remember that clause in the agreement about no sex with ANYONE for 72 days."
"I won't tell if you don't."
"I'm not having sex with you while you're drunk."
"Fine. I can take care of it myself."
"I would hate for you to wake up in the morning and regret it, just like you did the other day."
"I wouldn't regret it."
"And I'm the queen of England. Get in the shower." I take off my shirt and walk into the bathroom.
"Fine." Cris smirks, pulling his boxer briefs down and tossing them at me. He takes his shirt off and climbs in the shower.
"Why are you immature sometimes? You're 3 weeks older than me and I'm the mature one."
"I'm not."
"You are. Now shampoo."
"Rub-a-dub dub just a washing in the tub." Cris sings, lathering his shampoo.
I laugh, imagining him singing as kid with bath toys floating around. "You know what we should do?" I ask.
"What?" Cris asks, blowing the soap suds around.
"If we make it to the 72 days. We should have an actual wedding. With cake, and family photos, and not Elvis."
"I think that's a great idea. And we should have a honeymoon."
"Yeah. Where do you want to go?"
"Rome."
"That sounds great. You know what else?"
"Malta."
"We can go there. We can go wherever you want as long as we are together."
"Good." Cris laughs, sipping his head under the water.
"If we make it to 72 days will you ask me properly?"
"Yes. I want to stay engaged for a while though. Like before we renew."
"I think that can be arranged." I laugh.
"I'm glad."
"I love you, Crís."
"I love you too, Mia. Also, my dick is hard."
"Here's a towel, get out." I laugh, handing him a towel.
"But it's hard and my balls are turning blue." Cris mumbles, looking down.
"Then deal with it yourself."
"You should stay and give me something to look at." Cris slurs.
"Use your imagination big boy." I say, getting up and giving Crís a kiss on the cheek before walking away.
"Rude." Cris mumbles, grasping his dick in his hand, pumping himself.
"You've seen me naked before. It's not my fault you're so drunk you can't remember." I sit on the bed and look for something to watch.
"It wasn't the same without you." Cris slurs, jumping on the bed still naked.
"Ask me again when you've been sober for more than 13 hours."
"Fine, tomorrow morning."
"You'll be hung over. Ask me Monday."
"That's the best hangover cure."
"No, that's Gatorade and Advil. What do you want to watch?"
"Fuck Gatorade. Something funny."
"You get my cuddles. Is that not good enough for you? Scooby doo is on."
"Scooby doo!"
"Alright. Now make room for me." I say getting up and pulling my shorts down so I'm in my underwear.
"I want you to be the big spoon."
"Okay. But you gotta make it up to me. Like we always do, remember."
"It's called taking turns, Mia. I'm always the big spoon."
"Not always. Now, watch Scooby Doo and try to sleep."
"Fine." Cris mumbles, laying his head on my chest and wrapping his arms around me.
"Are you happy?" I ask absentmindedly, running a hand through his hair.
"With you I always am." Cris sighs, pushing his head further into my hands. "Feels good."
"I wasn't happy with Drew. He did little things, like buy me flowers, once. But I was never truly as happy with him as I am when I'm around you."
"He didn't deserve you."
"You gonna buy me flowers?" I ask, knowing he won't remember in the morning.
"I already have an order in." Cris mumbles, starting to doze off.
"Not the same. You don't get to see them, and feel them. Or hand deliver them. That's my favorite part."
"Next time."
"Go to sleep."
—————————
I woke up some time later, laying on my chest. I reached my arm out to feel for the other person that was supposed to be in bed. The other side of the bed was cold and empty. I opened my eyes slowly to see a bouquet of red and yellow flowers on the bedside table.
"I ordered waffles. I made sure they knew to send up the chocolate syrup you like." Cris says, startling me.
"Don't scare me like that." I say, putting a hand over my heart. "Why aren't you in bed?"
"Woke up a couple hours ago. I couldn't sleep so I decided to get you flowers."
"A couple hours?! Why didn't you wake me... wait, you went and picked these yourself?"
"Yeah." Cris mumbles.
"Thank you. They're beautiful." I say, getting out of bed and walking over to him. "I don't think I told you today, but you're pretty great." I walk to the bathroom and shit the door gently. I go about my business and come out right as the waffles get here. "Yay! Waffles!"
"Scooby doo is on." Cris says, curling up under the blankets on the bed.
"Just like when we were kids." I grab my food and go sit next to him. Cutting into my waffle as the theme song starts to play.
"I'm sorry I got so drunk last night." Cris says, through a mouthful.
"It's not the first time." I say, before swallowing to continue. "I remember one time when it was raining. We were under a storm watch. You thought we were storm chasers the whole time." I say before taking another bite of food.
"I mean, I'm sorry for laying so much on you last night." Cris replies, taking a bite. "I shouldn't have been drinking in the headspace I was in."
"I just wish you would've come to me instead of shutting me out. Just because I have a ring and your last name means nothing. You can still talk to me about your nightmares."
"It just didn't seem like the right time to bring it up. I still don't get how this all works. The dynamic and shit."
"It is never the right time. You have a great example to look at. I have Erin and my dad. Don't try to make it work the way someone else does, let's make it work our way. We are the only people involved in this marriage."
"I know. It's just weird. It happened out of nowhere and I'm still trying to catch up."
"Maybe when you sober up, you'll understand."
"I am sober."
"Checkout is at 11. Let's go."
"Okay." Cris replies, holding the door open for me.
"Crís?" I turn back to face him.
"Yeah?"
"I love you." I say, reaching up on my tiptoes to kiss him.
"I love you too." Cris replies, pulling back from the kiss.
"Love love?"
"Yes. Love love."
"Just checking to see if you're sober. Come on! I'll even let you hold my hand!"
"You're a dork." Cris laughs, lacing his fingers with mine and pulling me along.
"I'm your dork. You're stuck with me." I say, walking up to the counter.
"Don't remind me." Cris jokes.
"Don't sound so sad. Now we have 70 days to fall madly in love with each other or hate each other for the rest of our lives, let's get started."
"Well, when you put it that way." Cris replies sarcastically.
"Don't ruin my good mood. Now I have a whole date planned for us."
"When?" Cris asks, opening the car door for me.
"Starting, now." I say as my watch beeps.
"Where to?" Cris asks, starting the car.
"The ocean."
"In the water?"
"No."
"Okay, good." Cris replies, pulling out of the hotel parking lot.
"We are gonna make the biggest sandcastle Connecticut has ever seen!"
"We need to stop for supplies."
What supplies? The sand is at beach which is where the ocean is!"
"Buckets, shovels, drinks."
"Okay. I didn't have a chance to get all of that yesterday.  Don't forget snacks. I'll grab the buckets and shovels."
"I'll grab the drinks and snacks."
"Don't forget to get cheese sticks!"
"I would never forget the cheese sticks." Cris laughs, leaving me to get the snacks.
"Got it! All they had was pink, so, you get a pink bucket."
"I'm comfortable in my sexuality. Don't be so sexist." Cris jokes.
It was my turn to laugh. "Let's go! It's 10:43. It's a 20 minute drive, we don't have all day!"
"Okay." Cris laughs, paying for our items and leading me to the car. Once we are settled, we start the drive to the beach.
"We don't have to do this if you don't want too. We can do something else."
"It'll be fun."
"That's what you said about that slide at the playground before you burnt your legs going down it.
"As long as I don't get sand on my ballsack it'll be fine. Better not get bitten by those crab things either."
"Sand crabs? Don't disturb them, and they won't pinch you."
"Those little fuckers come out of nowhere man."
"I know. Now grab your bucket and let's go build this sandcastle!"
"Boom! Mines better than yours." Cris exclaims.
"Crís, they're together. We are working on different parts of the same castle."
"My part is still better." Cris laughs.
"Yeah it is." I say standing up with a handful of sand.
"Let's put in a fucking moat."
"Whatever you want." I say before throwing the sand and ducking down.
"No! No, sand fights. It'll get everywhere!" Cris exclaims.
I throw more sand and run toward him.
"Mia! It's getting my hair."
"That's okay!" I throw one last bit of sand before tripping and knocking over his sandcastle.
"Mia!" Cris exclaims, bursting into laughter.
"I'm sorry! I tripped!" I laugh.
"Now you have to say I'm sorry." Cris laughs, leaning over me.
"I'm sorry I knocked over your sandcastle."
"I guess that'll do." Cris says, leaning down and planting a kiss on my lips.
I grab some sand and run it around in his hair.
"You asshole!" Cris exclaims, pulling away and standing up before dumping a bucket over my head.
I take the opportunity to get up and start running.
"Come back here!" Cris yells, chasing me.
"Never!" I yell, running in a zig zag.
"Gotchya." Cris whispers in my ear, picking me up off my feet and throwing me over his shoulder.
I just start laughing. "Put me down please!"
"Nope." Cris laughs, running around and spinning me in circles.
"Cute booty." I say before smacking it and laughing again.
"Right back at ya." Cris laughs, slapping me hard on the ass.
"I'm hungry though, and really dizzy. Please put me down."
"If I put you down, do you promise not to throw sand?"
"I promise not THROW sand."
"Mia, that includes any form of getting sand on me."
"I promise." I say. Cris sighs, giving in and putting me back on my feet.
"You good there, Princesa? You look like you might fall."
"I'm dizzy!" I giggle, leaning into him. He wraps his arms around me pulling me into his chest.
"I got you. Let's go eat some snacks and repair the sandcastle."
"Okay." I laugh, pecking him on the lips.
"Mia? What do you want to be doing in 10 years?" Crís asks. I look at up him.
"Haven't really thought about it. Maybe have a couple kids and be doing the mom thing."
"The mom thing would be a good look for you."
"Ya think?" I ask, genuinely curious.
"I do. Especially if you have kids with the person who makes you happy. I would hate for you to end up in a marriage like the one your parents have."
"That's my biggest fear."
"I would never do that to you. Even if we don't make it, I would never do that to you."
"We are gonna make it, Crís." I reply, snuggling up to him as the wind starts blowing.
"I hope so." Cris replies, holding me tighter.
"I have faith in us. Just as much as I have faith in us 10 years from now. We are the only ones holding ourselves back."
"You're right." Cris replies.
"Can we go? As much as I like it here, the evening wind is too much." I say, rubbing my arms and shivering a little."
"Yeah, Let's go home." Cris replies, wrapping his arms tight around me.
"I have one more thing planned."
"What's that?"
"Dinner, at that steakhouse you like. The one that gave me a kids menu that one time."
"We should shower first. We are both sandy messes."
"You're right." I shiver and move closer to Crís.
"Let's go take a hot shower and then get dinner."

*Are they gonna make it?*