What If I Forget?

-x- Uraraka's POV -x-

Wandering into the classroom, I spotted Deku on his way to his desk. "Oh, hey Deku!" I exclaimed, causing him to face me.

Smiling, he began, "Hey, Ur... Ura..." He scrunched his face up, as if he couldn't remember my name.

Tilting my head, I felt concern wash over me. "Are... Are you okay, Deku?"

He shook his head, giving a nervous laugh. "Uhm... Yes, I'm fine! Ur... Uraraka!" Staring down at his hands, he looked panicked and upset. Almost as if he were frightened by himself.

Not wanting to cause him any more trouble, I awkwardly said, "Oh... Okay," before taking my seat.

During the lesson, my eyes kept wandering over to Deku, wondering what was going on in that brain of his. Green tufts of hair fell over his eyes as he stared emptily into his desk, his skin paler than normal.

"Midoriya," Aizawa addressed him tiredly, "What are you doing?"

Gazing up, he had a distant look in his eyes. Tears wet his freckled cheeks as his eyes darted around the room. He looked as if he had seen a ghost. "I don't know," he whispered breathlessly." I connected eyes with him, and he looked taken aback. "Who... Why can't I remember?" he croaked.

Aizawa seemed to sense urgency. "Midoriya," he said, walking towards his desk, "Are you okay?"

The boy began to tremble, grasping at wisps of hair and pulling on them. "What... I can't... Please...," he looked at the pro desperately, tears softly thumping on the wood of his desk.

I bit my lip, fearing for his well being. With a glance around the room, I noticed other students doing the same, worry present on their faces.

"Midoriya?" Kirishima said, standing up.

Deku glanced over at him frantically, then looked back down towards his desk, mumbling to himself. He scratched himself as if there were bugs under his skin, tinting his skin a flushed pink.

Without any notice, Aizawa suddenly restrained him using his capture weapon, causing Midoriya to fall limp.

"Midoriya, is everything all right?" he questioned.

The tension was palpable, everyone on the edge of their seats.

After a few moments of silence, Deku gasped, swallowing air as if he hadn't in years.

"I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay," he struggled, whispering frantically. He stared up at the class, lip quivering. "I remember. I remember."

Aizawa shook his head, loosening his grip on the boy, causing him to fall back into his seat. "Uraraka, take him to the nurse's office. I'm afraid there's something sinister going on here."

Gulping, I quickly nodded, rocketing out of my seat. "C-C'mon Deku," I motioned to him, "Let's go."

As we made it out the door, I felt a million times better-as if a weight was taken off my chest.

Scratching the back of my neck, I laughed nervously. "Sorry, Deku," I said, "I was just kinda scared, that's all. Besides, I was about to choke on all the tension in that room."

He gave me an uneven smile, sweat dripping down his forehead.

Slowing down, I walked in pace with him. "Deku," I asked softly, "Did something happen?"

Nodding, he squeezed his eyes shut. "I... I got lost and..." His face twisted as he recalled the incident, "And... I think he might've tried to mug me, but was chased off... All I know is that he beat me up pretty badly..."

Gasping, I attempted to comfort him. "Aw, Deku, that's awful. I'm sorry..." My eyes widening, I asked, "Is that why you're having trouble remembering things? Did he hurt your head or something?"

He shrugged, grinning sheepishly. "Maybe. But...," he looked down, worry sparkling in his emerald eyes. "I was told...," he began to whisper, "That it wasn't that severe... That I shouldn't forget that much, if anything at all..." He glanced up, sniffling as his eyes welled up with tears. "What if I forget... And don't remember...?"

Blushing, I quickly pulled him into a tight embrace. "I promise, Deku. I won't let you forget us. It'll be fine."

I glanced up, seeing his face flushed a bright red. "Uhm... T-thank you, Uraraka."

---

"Back again, Midoriya?" Recovery Girl sighed.

He gave her a sheepish smile, scratching the back of his neck. "Uh... Yeah...," he glanced up, "But not for what you think, I swear!"

She raised her brow, scanning him. "I don't see any physical injuries on you. And you don't look to be sick... Though, I guess you can't really tell that by sight," she laughed, "So what seems to be the problem."

Biting his lip, Midoriya explained. "I was attacked by someone a few nights ago... I think Saturday...? Anyways, I've been having trouble with my memory since then..."

I gulped, remembering Midoriya's request to hang out. Saturday...? Does that mean... It was my fault?

Recovery Girl nodded. "Seems like a small case of amnesia. Happens if you take too much damage to the head. So," she asked, "How severe is it?"

He looked down sadly, so I answered for him. "He... He couldn't remember anyone in our class... Though," I added as she looked surprised, "He remembered only after a minute or two... It was strange..."

"Yes... I don't think I've ever..." she mumbled to herself, "Well then... Honestly," she sighed, "I'm not equipped to handle that here. I'm afraid I only heal physical injuries, not mental. And, while I might be able to if I was in a better setting, I cannot here. So, I suggest that you visit the doctor as soon as possible."

Deku nodded as I put a hand on his shoulder and smiled, attempting to reassure him.

"See Deku, you'll be fine!"

---

He will most definitely NOT be fine, based off the title of this book

But who really knows?

Thanks for reading! <3