Chapter 12

"So, one to land the first hit is the winner?", Kirito asked and Heathcliff nodded his head.

"Very well. It is your funeral either way"

"Maybe we need to cut your ego down. You have got your head way up into the clouds, Heathcliff", Kirito retorted and Heathcliff chuckled.

"It is not overconfidence when you are assured of victory, Kirito. I know that this battle will be good, but what is the use of respecting your opponent if you already know the result?", he mocked and Kirito gritted his teeth in anger.

"Nice to see you wield your sword properly, Kirito. It has been a while since I have seen you wield it with grace instead of anger", Heathcliff continued as the timer began to drop down, second by second.

"As far as I know, this is a death game, Heathcliff. If I die here, I don't make it out to the real world. I do hope you realise that. I'm here to survive - not to be graceful", he retorted as Heathcliff smirked a tad bit evilly.

"Irrespective of the situation, our perfection towards the same is essential", he snarled and took a defensive stance, and the timer went down to the last ten seconds.

Kirito was extremely confident that he had heard the quote somewhere - neither in an audiobook nor had he read it somewhere. He was affirmative that he had heard the same sentence with his own ears - personally, but who had said that?

A loud ping broke him away from his train of thoughts and Heathcliff charged at him at the best speed which his bulky body could muster up. Being lean had its benefits and Kirito dodged the direct attack of Heathcliff.

"You must be...desperate if...you tried to...take me...down with that....attack", Kirito seethed as he kept deflecting and parrying Heathcliff's onslaught. The bulky man however, did not respond and continued to strike at Kirito's midsection and grunted each time he successfully defended himself from his blows.

"Are you even going to try to attack me, or do you need a written invitation for the same?", Heathcliff mocked as he jumped back to a defensive stance, shielding most of his body barring his head and right toes.

"Why should I give in to your strength?", Kirito smirked back and Heathcliff gritted his teeth.

"Then how do you expect to defeat me when you were so confident of doing the same?", he enquired and Kirito charged at him with a full on Vorpal Strike, which Heathcliff deflected at the last moment.

Kirito internally groaned in disappointment on not making contact, and Heathcliff was surprised. But he did not show any sorts of emotion on his face.

This time, Heathcliff lunged forward and Kirito took up a defensive stance, holding his sword diagonally across his body, but to his surprise, Heathcliff's shield glowed a bright shade of yellow, and Kirito was blinded for a second.

Subconsciously, he jumped back and ran a couple of strides away from Heathcliff, based on the noise his heavy gear created.

"What was that?", he snarled after he could see Heathcliff clearly and the latter pursed his lips in further annoyance, on his failure to make contact with Kirito.

"A defensive and attacking mechanism that has failed for the first time in a duel", he snarled and lunged at Kirito with all his might. The attack was so powerful that Kirito was unable to deflect it and was just able to parry it.

The two swordsmen had their swords crossed and the only thing that existed between them at the current moment was pure and unadulterated hate for each other.

"You are hiding something, Kirito. I know you are. I can see it in your eyes", Heathcliff whispered and Kirito jumped back in response, staring wide eyed at the smug expression of the commander.