Chapter 15

"We should speak to Heathcliff about this, shouldn't we?", Asuna asked Kirito, meeting his gaze which the latter avoided. Asuna frowned on seeing his hesitation on doing the same. "Why, what is wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong, Asuna. I know we have to report to Heathcliff about this. But how did you find me?", he asked her, breaking away from the topic and Asuna blushed.

"W..Well, I always had an eye on you, Kirito-kun. I had an eye on all three of your markers. When Godfree's and your markers began to take damage, but Kuradeel's did not, I knew something was wrong. I thought...I thought I would lose you", she whispered the last portion and fisted his coat in her hands.

"In your defence, you did come to save me, didn't you?", he smirked and Asuna slapped the back of his head, causing him to groan. "When WILL you stop hitting the back of my head?"

"When you stop acting like a dummy", she mumbled, burying her face in the crook of his neck.

"Then I apologise in advance for your hand - I am pretty sure you will be hurting yourself far more than you will be hurting me, Asuna", he countered and Asuna glared at him weakly.

"Hey, Kirito-kun. What was that ability you used to kill him?", she whispered softly, almost afraid to ask him about the same.

"An original skill - I just found it in my skill list one day. As far as I recall, I did not do anything spectacular to gain it. Maybe just a mini boss or that one useless boss, Nicholas the Renegade with that necromancer crystal - I think it was called the Divine Stone of Returning Soul. I gave it to Klein when I came out. I found my skill the night Sachi was killed. I wanted to hide the skill because I know that it will attract many people - especially a set of barbarians. As if I don't need any more guys on my back", he explained and Asuna glared at him.

"Why didn't you tell ME about it? It's not like I would kill you to get the skill for you, would I?", she scolded and he raised his eyebrow. "Would you?"

"Don't test me, Black Swordsman", she snapped and her eyes began to wander around his face in doubt before she gathered the courage to ask him. "May I ask you a question, Kirito-kun?"

"Sure", he replied without confidence and Asuna gulped loudly.

"You...You used to work with Kayaba didn't you? So..."

"Do I have a hand in this mess? Am I responsible for each and every death caused in this game? YES! I KNOW IT! I'LL SCREAM IT OUT AT THE TOO OF MY VOICE!! I AM KAYABA AKIHIKO'S RIGHT HAND GUY!! Happy?", he finished for her and she avoided his gaze due to guilt.

"I...I didn't mean that, Kirito-kun. I know you are not responsible for this - I just know it, and I am so sorry for bringing it up - I...I didn't mean to do so", she replied with sincerity in her eyes, her eyes slowly growing misty due to the same, and Kirito hugged her tightly with a wince, thinking on how he must have sounded.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, Asuna. It was unfair on my part to take my anger out on you. I am really very sorry. But now you know why I have to hide my identity, don't you? I am the guy everybody is searching for - Kayaba's assistant. That is why I decided to keep my identity as a secret", he apologized and Asuna waved it off with a small shake of her head.

"Anyways, enough of this small talk. Let's meet up with Heathcliff quickly. I am getting hungry minute by minute", he joked, rubbing circles over his stomach and Asuna nodded her head with a smile.

Time Skip

"Oh, you are here", Heathcliff grumbled as he noticed Kirito and Asuna, scanning through his menu.