Chapter 17

"What..but, but how?", he asked the little girl in his embrace, completely bewildered by the fact that she was able to retain her memory of him.

"When Kayaba-san told me that he was going to erase my memory, I panicked. I requested him to go through my memories one last time, and when he granted me the opportunity, I used it to..to create another memory where I stored your data", she said with a proud look on her face and Kirito softly ruffled her hair. Yui fisted Kirito's shirt and returned to his embrace once again. "I missed you SO much, Papa"

"So did I, Yui. I missed you very much", he whispered but Yui had already begun to sleep like a log, drooling while mumbling incoherent words.

"Ah, maybe her power cycle has altered", Kirito smiled to himself and rubbed the drool from Yui's chin and her pink lips quivered in response. "What power cycle?"

Asuna walked forward and softly rubbed Yui's back causing the little girl to coo in her sleep. Kirito however, did not respond and continued to rock Yui deeper into sleep.

"Do you want to tell me about her or do I have to beat it out of you?", she joked and Kirito chuckled.

"I'll tell you when we reach home", he whispered softly, smiling at the sleeping child in his arms.

Time Skip

"Well, we are home. Tell me now", Asuna pressed and Kirito huffed at her impatience. "Let me lay her on the bed at least"

On the current matter, Asuna did not trust her husband one bit and followed him like a little kitten to the bedroom where he dropped her on the bed softly and kissed her forehead.

"Sleep well, Yui", he whispered and stepped back, but Yui began to whimper when she lost his physical contact. Kirito bolted forward again and scooped her back into his arms.

"Yui can be considered my....child of sorts", Kirito said and Asuna tilted her head cutely. "How so?"

"She's my creation - an AI program", he said smiling proudly at Yui who giggled in her sleep. "That proves that the dream mechanism works well"

"Dream mechanism?", Asuna enquired.

"Well, it's sort of like a dream as it's name suggests - the only difference being that Yui's dreams are altered based on her mental health on that particular day. She smiled in her sleep signifying that her dream has been pleasant as of now - possibly because she met me again today", he explained.

"I don't think she would wake up today. She has a routine power cycle from 9 PM to 5 AM. So the fact that she is sleeping now only indicates that she has been postponing her sleep for the past three or four days. I don't know what made her do that", he continued with a frown on his face as he protectively tightened his grip around Yui.

"So did you code her?", Asuna asked and Kirito nodded his head proudly. "Starting from her physical looks to her each and every capability"

"She was always hyperactive, especially around me. At the beginning, I hated her - thought she was annoying, and would definitely bug the players out. But day by day, she grew on me and suddenly, I would miss talking to her or how she would pout, exposing her rosy cheeks when I made fun of her and would desperately try to claw at me. Being an AI program, she is an immortal object and can be very helpful", he continued, reminiscing the times and Asuna stepped forward holding her arms out.

"May I hold her? If you are her Papa, I would have to be her Mama, wouldn't I? I would like to start right at the moment", she said and gently took Yui into her arms. Asuna expected Yui to wake up, or yell, or simply just shoot her away from her personal space with her immortality shield, but to her surprise, none of those happened. Yui frowned for a couple of seconds when Asuna held her but snuggled closer to her touch.