Colours of autumn

Miguel Endrizzi

The season of fall had something so beautiful about it. The brilliant shafts of sunlight caress the layer of reds and golds before me, laid out like a carpet for a royal. Each breath of the fresh air fills me with a sense of life that almost makes me want to shout out loud, just to hear my voice echo amidst the trees. The leaves had begun to fall and rain was in the forecast. On my way up the Avenue, I stepped on every crunchy brown leaf, savoring it, knowing after the rain they would be a soggy mess. The small quiet town of Silverwoods had everything I needed peace, calm, colors, and silence. Silence has always been a part of me, since the beginning of my life. A part of me that I can never escape from. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic but you can expect no better from an artist.

"Hey Mig!!" I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a cheerful Andy call out my name.
"He-Hey..... An-Andy."
"Mom made some of your favorite croissants! Get them before they sell out!" said the little bouncy Burnett as she tried to drag me to the nearby bakery. Andy is a little ball of cuteness who loves to feed me all the sweets she can just like her mother, Mrs. Patrick. The mother and daughter duo run a small but popular bakery called Silverspoon in this town of Silverwoods, quite ironic I must say.

After making me try a couple of their new creations the mother and daughter duo let me leave but not before packing a bunch of sweets. I swear they seem to be scheming to turn me into a ball of flab! Continuing on my way to the Avenue, I saw other folks of the old town going on with their daily routine like Ms. Jenny of the florist shop who was out to water her plants as usual or Mr. Dawn who tried his utmost best to stop his pet dog from peeing on each pole they come across or Lady Ann, the owner of the local library who asked me to help her with the freshly arrived stock of books to whom I just responded by the nods of my head.

I don't know what I felt when I see these people trying to interact with me even after knowing that there was a possibility I won't respond to them. It's not like I deliberately want to ignore their polite advances, it's just my ailment that makes me hesitant. I don't want to put them in a sore spot when they have to think of how to deal with people like me. People like me you ask? Well... Let's just say, I'm a freak.

"I'm a Lil cupcake with a cherry on the top~" Once again I was pulled out of my depressing thoughts. But this time it was by this obscene ringtone my best friend slash secretary Everett chose specifically for himself.

"He-Hey... Ev!"
"Hey Mig. I have a piece of good news and a bad one. Which one would you prefer first? " There was an undertone of anger in Everett's voice. Looks like this is gonna be bad.
"G-Good."
"We got the art gallery and at the same price you wanted." I wanted to leap in joy but the audible sigh of Everett refrained me from doing so.
"But the proprietor wants to meet you personally and only then will she decide whether she wants to sell it to you or not."

My mind went blank hearing the news. Meeting new people was not my thing. What if she-

"She won't hate you and even if she does it won't matter. I tried to talk her out of it but she was persistent in meeting you. I'm sorry Mig. It's all my fault." Said Everett even before I could break down the hate lane. Oh god! I'm such a dick! I just made him blame himself for something he couldn't control.

"Not.. ya.. fa-fault."
"But it is! I-" Damn this man. Why doesn't he let me finish?
"Na. Ya. Fa-Fault!" I raised my voice a little which made him shut up. I'm glad that because of our years of friendship he knew what each gesture of mine meant.
"Text." As soon as I uttered the word the line went dead but not a second later my phone buzzed like crazy due to the incoming messages. This guy!
Speaking out loud was kind of exhausting. Texting was easy.

Ev😙                                      
I'm sorry Mig!
I shud hav trd hard.
Sorry. 
Send @2:15                                   

Ev😙
Mig...
It's my fault.
Sorry.😭
Send @2:17pm

Ev😙
Mig! I cn search fr
another gallery.
I'm sorry. 😢
Send @2:20pm

Ev😙
Mig...
Say smthing.
Send @2:22pm

Me
Let me speak u
Damn dog!😡
Send @2:22pm

Me
It's not ur fault the owner
wants 2 meet me. Period.
And what's wrong in it?
I to wuld wana see the person
2 who i sell my property.
Send @2:25pm

Ev😙
But i cn search fr
Another place.
Send @2:26pm

Me
I'm not done yet.
😡
Send@2:27pm

Me
U cn not contrl ever1 Everett.
Don't blame yourself.
You cnt always fight fr me.
I need to stand fr me too.
So let's say this is my first
step to it. And if I fall I know u will be there fr me.
Send @2:31pm

Ev😙
Oh, my baby.
I'll always be there.
Send @2:33pm

Me
Thanks mom.😑
And book my tickets.
Send@2:33pm

Ev😙
On it boss!😚
Send@2:34pm

Well... New York, here I come.

____________________________________