Chapter XI: Reaper Unleashed Part 3

Thirteen Years Ago

"Here, have a drink." A woman with the kindest eyes I had ever seen handed me a cup of hot chocolate. I took it, the warmth of the mug sending comforting tingles on my palms.

"How are you feeling, dear?" the kind woman asked gently. The fog in my mind refused to clear. My mouth opened to answer her, but no words came out. I didn't know how to answer her. I didn't know how I was feeling.

"Does it hurt?" She pointed at something below my neck. As if on cue, a felt dull throbbing pain from where she pointed.

"Y-yes," My own voice felt so alien to me like I was hearing it uttered by someone else.

"Let's put some ointment on it, okay?" She took a vial from a desk drawer and applied some of the ointment on my skin. It stung a little. I flinched. She gave me an apologetic look and blew on what I assumed was a wound.

"There." She gave me an angelic smile. "What is your name?"

"Uh..." What is my name? Who am I? "I...d-don't...know." My eyes landed on a full-length mirror somewhere on my right. A little girl with brown hair and haunted eyes stared back at me. Her pale complexion bore scattered bruises that were just healing. Below her neck was a mark resembling an inverted "L," with the patch of skin around it still an angry red. For some reason I couldn't explain, my eyes started to tear up. I blinked the tears away. What is happening to me?

"I...I can't remember anything!" Panic started to swell within me. I turned my eyes back to the woman as a single tear dropped, followed by more. A lot more.

"What is happening?!" I stood up, but the sudden movement made me feel dizzy. The woman held my shoulder to steady me.

"It's okay, dear. Please calm down." She pointed at something on my wrist. "Your bracelet says 'Reianne.' Is that you?" I followed her pointed fingers and saw a bracelet around my wrist.

"Reianne," I uttered the name under my breath. Another wave of tears threatened to fall at the mention of the name, but I held it back, not wanting to worry the kind lady anymore.

"I don't know. Maybe? Who are you?" I asked her, my voice hoarse.

"I am Cerce, dear. You can call me, Granny Cerce. Have you met my husband? You can call him Granpa Shao. We will take care of you." She stroked my head in a loving gesture.

"See this mark here"--she pointed at the mark under my chest--"be careful that you don't scratch that, okay?" She winked at me and I nodded.

"Why don't you drink your hot chocolate and sleep a little?"

I nodded at her again. The fog in my mind kept me in a daze, and it wasn't long before sleep claimed me.