Chapter XXIII: The Devil in the Details Part 1

"I have good news and bad news," I told Gio and Quin. After breakfast, we went to Gio's study to discuss my plan. I doubted that they would agree. Not without resistance at least.

In the tradition of engorgio-fying things, Gio's study could fit my entire apartment. I mean, that bookshelf could fit my restroom. The study also had a mezzanine, by the way, where a sofa set was conveniently placed, and where we made ourselves comfortable. From the mezzanine, I could see Gio's work desk, with a couple of files lying neatly on top. Generally, his study looked well-kept. It made me wonder whether he cleaned after himself too since I had yet to encounter any house-helper.

He wasn't always rich, you know. Quin's words rang in my ears. Although I couldn't entirely picture Gio other than the filthy rich billionaire that he was, seeing him wash those dishes earlier at least told me he wasn't some spoiled rich brat.

I sighed. It sucked not being able to remember. It felt like a chunk of me that I was not even aware of was missing. Each night, before I fell asleep, I told my brain to remember, to dream of the past, to at least let the subconscious take over. The memories were there, I was sure. I just had to access them. So each time, I told myself 'Remember, Reianne' over and over until sleep consumed me. Sometimes my mind complied, giving me confusing snippets but there was nothing concrete, and always blurred. My dream last night was a rare exception.

Did I have happy memories of when I was young? I could not even remember the faces of my parents. Where we really happy as what Quin said? I gave an involuntary huff as frustration kicked in.

"...are you even listening?"

My eyes darted upward to meet Gio's obsidian ones, tinged with concern.

"Uh, what were you saying again?"

"He asked about your meeting with Hugo, Onee." Quin answered for Gio.

"Three times, in fact," Gio said.

"Uhh... sorry. As I was saying, I have good news and bad news." I paused, not really knowing how to break it to them. "The good news is, what Hugo wants is easily attainable." I leaned forward and rested my elbows on my knees, my fingers knitted together. I laid my chin on the back of my hand as I contemplated on how I should break the news to them without either one of them freaking out.

"Uh-huh. Go on," Gio said, eyeing me suspiciously. Absurdly hypnotic, so I averted mine from his, choosing instead to focus on a piece of loose thread on the couch. I reached out and played with the thread, flicking it repeatedly with my pointer finger.

"Reianne," Gio said, claiming my attention from the work of art that was the thread. I sighed as I straightened my posture, sitting more upright.

"Uhm, the bad news is, what Hugo wanted is...me."

Quin gasped and her eyes widen. Gio's brow shot up.

"He commissioned the Reaper to tell them where Ranya is, which reminds me, mind explaining this Quin?" I held up the photograph I got from Hugo. Quin looked like a dozen make-up products exploded on her face in the picture. Quin gave a nervous chuckle, but her eyes light up in unmistakable mischief.

"I had to put a lot of make-up to disguise myself somehow."

"And how about all of this?" I took out my phone and showed her several society news articles my drunk mind managed to find from the internet last night--news articles about Mrs. Ranya Lee partying it up and causing several high society brows to go up ever so slightly in a fashionable manner. Quin's cheeks turned crimson. Her nose twitched.

"Onee, it's all part of the disguise. Convincing isn't it?"

"Oh, really now," I reached out and poked her sides. She squeaked when my fingers found a ticklish spot.