Chapter XXV: The Devil in the Details Part 3

"We are here to bring the latest batch of shipment," I said at an overly muscled guy standing before Musa's back gates.  He had a deep frown that never seemed to leave his face. He scrutinized my face grumpily and eyed Gab, Nas, and the rest of our little party with disinterest.  

"Put the crates there,  and get out of here." With a wave of his hand,  he dismissed us. He turned to leave and I couldn't help but click my tongue. The disrespectful bastard. 

"I didn't know Musa keep dimwits in his employ," I said to no one in particular.  

Gab's breathing hitched.  The muscled guy himself stiffened, and turned abruptly. 

"What did you say?" 

"And deaf too, apparently. What an awful waste of money," I continued with my tirade, addressing Gab who was trying to keep a straight face and failing. The muscled guy's face turned crimson red with rage. 

Man,  I seem to piss off a lot of people these days

"You!" The guy's face crumpled in indignant rage. His hands were shaking badly with uncontrolled fury.  

"I'll crush you to dust!" He swung his arm, aiming for my face.  I evaded it easily and kicked him in the shins hard. He clutched his foot which caused him to lose his balance and fall on his butt.  Gab and the gang snickered. The muscled guy abruptly stood up, and aimed another fist at my direction. I moved sideways to evade and kicked his back, the force sending him headfirst into the gates.  The gang laughed so hard when his head collided with the metal railings with a loud bang. Gab, however, kept mum. I caught him staring at me with a modest smile. I rolled my eyes at him.  

"What's going on here?" We all turned to the source of the sound.  A man, wearing all black fatigue complete with combat boots came out of the huge back doors of the facility. 

"Your friend here"--I pointed to the now passed-out muscled guy--"is disrespectful. So we thought he needed to sleep so he could grow some balls." 

The man searched our faces one by one.  He seems to be more intelligent than the sleeping guy, whose brain was probably fried to a crisp by too much underground market drugs and chemicals.  

"Don't mind Cruz, he got some anger issues. Name's Ramirez,  by the way. Why are you here?" 

"We have a message for Musa. We're here to deliver the shipment too," I told him straightforwardly.  Unlike the sleeping muscled guy, Ramirez seemed to be more friendly and diplomatic. He gestured for us to follow him,  and escorted us through a series of hallways. Gab and I headed towards Musa's main office, while the rest of the gang stayed behind to take care of unloading the shipment. 

The phone inside my pocket buzzed again. I stole a glance and true enough, it was Gio calling.  Gab eyed me suspiciously. 

"Who was that? He's been calling non-stop," Gab said, whispering to my ears.  

"No one," I told him flatly. I cursed Gio in my head. As expected,  Hugo had not given me his full trust, and Gab was supposed to keep an eye on me during this transaction.  

"Must be a boyfriend."

I glared at Gab in the most inconspicuous manner I could manage. He might not suspect anything yet, but I was not sure I liked how things were progressing in his head either.  

"He is not a boyfriend,  and I am not gay," I whispered back to him.

"Sure," he replied while shrugging his broad shoulders. 

"Let's...let's just focus on the shipment."  I resisted the urge to kick his shin and make him join Cruz on the pavement. 

"Sure," he answered again, a bit more biting this time. I decided to just ignore him the rest of the way.