Chapter XXXIX: Fall Seven Times, Date at Eight Part II

The screen of my phone stared back at me mockingly as its light dimmed, taking away the obnoxious name whose owner I just agreed on a date with. It was a split-second decision that I was now hoping would not end in disaster. 

I rubbed my face in frustration as Mr. Yang lectured me on the downsides of impulsive behavior and how a chaste married woman should not date other men behind her husband's back. I countered that this was for a good cause but Mr. Yang remained unimpressed. 

Most of my classmates had, by now, dispersed, promising to be at the party venue on time. Truth be told, I was looking forward to it. I badly needed a distraction. Anything, really, to get my mind off things. At least, before I took a dive into the mess that was my life once more. 

I let out an exasperated breath and slumped further into my seat, closing my eyes as I mentally ward off nightmarish memories. They were my constant companion now. Always at the back of my head, ready to pounce uninvited the moment my mind was not preoccupied with something. 

"Tired?" 

My eyes instinctively opened. Marie was standing in front of me with her bag safely strapped on her shoulders. 

"Yes. Tired." Of my life.

"Let's go then. Michael will take longer with his beadle duties. Let's go ahead and get coffee. It's my treat." 

At the sound of free coffee, Ms. Yin nagged at me to get off my butt and get going. 

I took my bag and followed Marie towards our College's cafe, beautifully designed with yellow ambient lighting and pretty flower arrangements at the center of every table. Too fancy-looking for broke-ass law students, in my opinion, but was necessary for the image which the College was trying to portray.  

It wasn't long before both of us were sitting face-to-face with steaming hot coffee and slices of cheesecake. 

"So, what's with you?" Marie looked at me straight in the eye in her own unnerving way--not too intrusive, but was intense enough that it was hard to lie that, to be honest, was my first go-to-response. 

I lowered my gaze to my coffee. Mr. Yang was having an internal monologue about how yours truly was such a bad friend. 

"You don't have to tell me, you know. I'm just worried, that's all"   

I sighed but did not answer, preoccupying myself with stirring my coffee and gauging how much I could tell Marie. I should tell her something. I owed her that much, at least. 

"I do notice things, you know," Marie continued. "And I know about Micheal's police work now"--Marie smirked at me--"and yours."

I clicked my tongue. "Huh. I guess he had no choice but to tell you." 

"Unless he wanted something cut-off, he had to explain the late-night absences properly." Marie snickered. 

"Gosh, you're scary." I paused. "I know what to get you for Christmas."  I made snipping gestures with my hands. 

For the first time in a while, I smiled genuinely again. 

I took a sip of my coffee, looking intently at Marie. "I could remember my past now." 

Marie, who was in mid-sip, nearly spilled the hot coffee on herself. She stared at me for a while, perhaps gauging whether I was joking or not, then gingerly brought her coffee cup down. Afterwards, I was subjected to more unnerving scrutiny. 

"Oh my God, you're not kidding."

I smiled at her weakly. 

"Isn't that a good thing? Why do you look so devastated?"