Chapter XLII: The Big Bang Part 3

[18+ Rated]

¤¤¤¤¤

14 Years Ago

Several books were scattered across our living room floors, mostly about Biochemistry on one side and Physics on the other.

I picked up a book that was particularly big and heavy with bold lettering that says "Biochemistry,  Molecular Biology, and Genetics" on the front cover and flipped through the pages, which were filled with Ran's neat handwriting. As expected, nothing made that much sense to me, so I placed it back down.  

The owner of the book was engrossed in his own activity, mainly tinkering with Bunny while sitting crossed legs on our carpeted living room. On my side was Quin, lying on her belly and propped on her elbows and pillows, and busy in her own little world of Physics.  Whereas I was holding a grammar book, which I loved, and a Geometry book, which I hated. 

I inched closer to Gio and instantly felt smarter. 

"What are you reading?" I whispered to him. 

He looked briefly at me and went back to browsing the newspaper in his hands. "Nothing, much," was his brief reply. My curiosity getting the better of me, I peered over his arms to see what article he was reading. Bolden letters jumped from the pages: Lee Stocks Plummets as Family Feud Worsens. I was unable to read more because Gio folded the newspaper. 

"Aren't you supposed to be studying?" He playfully pulled me in closer so that we were shoulder to shoulder. "Do you need help with your math again?" 

"I just finished my English lessons and yeah, I don't understand this business with the hypotenuse and why I have to find it. Seems to me,  if it doesn't want to be found, we should just let it be."

Gio burst out laughing,  which made Quin and Ran shush him simultaneously.  He covered his mouth with his hand to muffle his voice.  

"Okay,  I'll help you with it. Give me your book," he whispered. 

Gio proceeded to explain the mathematical concepts to me and as in the other instances, his explanation helped me understand the topic. Unlike me, he was good at math. In no time, I was solving geometry equations like a professional third grader.

After a moment, Mom came, bearing slices of strawberry shortcake, cream puffs--my personal favorite, and glasses of milk.  

"Oh my goodness,  what hardworking children you are. Time for an afternoon snack," she remarked, her eyes shining in approval of our industriousness.

"Cake!" Quin blurted out as she got up from being sprawled on the floor with her Physics book.  Ran likewise stopped tinkering with Bunny and followed Quin to where the sweets were, while Gio stood up to help Mom place the sweets and glasses of milk on the coffee table. 

"Mom! I found the hypotenuse!" I blurted, proudly showing Mom my solutions. She looked at it briefly and gave me her brightest smile.  

"Good job,  Ranya! You're getting better at this." 

I beamed.  "Gio helped me." 

"Oh?" Mom turned her smile at Gio. "Thanks, dear." 

"It's not a big deal, Ma'am." 

"I told you many times, just call me 'auntie,'  Gio. Your mom is like a big sister to me."

"Yes, uhm... Auntie." 

Mom flashed Gio another warm smile before straightening up. "Your Father and I have business outside.  Will you kids be fine here? Nan is here to look after you all."