Chapter XXXI: Survival of the Richest Part 2

My knees collapsed as the pain from the electric current came at me in waves. I expected my wrist to get tugged and steeled myself for another agonizing torment but none came. Someone had loosened the chain keeping me upright and I accordingly crumpled on the floor. My muscles were still paralyzed due to the current that ran amuck throughout my body.

I held on to the sliver of consciousness I still had, though it was futile to ward off the disorientation the clouded my senses.

The next lucid moment, I felt someone remove the cuffs. The spike, the bane of my existence, slid out of my wrists after one quick painful wrench.

A part of me was relieved that the cuffs from hell were no longer on my wrists. But I had spent enough time here to know that Ran was one deluded psychotic dork who would not allow such reprieve unless he was getting something out of it.

Panic arose as I thought of the possible games which Ran wanted to play this time. I was aware that I needed to regain my mobility as quickly as possible.

I willed my limbs to move and was met with pairs of heavy lead as they refused to heed my commands. I was too darn weak.

"So couz, how long will it take you to track us?" Ran's mocking question was drowned against Gio's heavy, threatening silence.

"Very well, this is what we'll do," Ran continued. I'll keep the lines open, as long as she remains conscious. How about that? Aren't I generous?"

As long as I stay conscious?

My eyes shot up to Gio's. The emotions written on his eyes were difficult to read. What was apparent, however, was the hard set of his jaw and the cold steel gaze he pinned Ran with. Ran's mind games were getting on Gio's nerves, although he concealed it well.

"Stop with the games, Ran." Gio's cold voice reverberated across the room. "She has nothing to do with whatever goes between us."

Ran snickered. "You think I'm using her to get back at you?" I thought you're better than that, couz, really."

Silence.

"Do you even know what she is?" Musa continued, mockingly.

Silence stretched longer, warped by the tensed atmosphere clinging to every corner of the room. With a strained heave, I pushed my leaden limbs to their limits and got myself into a sitting position using my elbows as leverage since the slightest pressure on my wrist would cause pain to wreck my body anew.

"I'm bored, that's what I am." My hoarse voice broke the silence. I couldn't let Ran push Gio any further. If it was a game he wanted, then I would give him that.

"Let's do whatever is in that lump you call a head," I chided as I got up on my wobbly knees. Nausea greeted me like an old friend the moment I planted my feet on the hard concrete. Sheer doggedness kept me standing up.

I lifted my eyes and met Gio's and saw concern mingling with the stifled rage burning behind his eyes. He was worried about me. I smiled at him, weakly.

Stay conscious. How hard could that be, right?

Ran signaled to his men and Cruz stepped into my line of vision. He cracked his knuckles. I would have loved to do the same, if only I could move my arms properly. I put my arms behind my back since I doubted Cruz would have some shame and not target them. He snorted at my action.

"I'll break your fucking arms. If that's the last thing I'd ever do," I said, sneering at him with all the malicious intent I could muster.

Cruz laughed. He laughed so hard he nearly toppled over as he clutched his stomach. Even the minions behind him were chuckling. I didn't know I was a comedian.