⚫Chapter 5 ⚫

Thursday, June 20

I wasn't able to hang out with Nia today because she told me she had something important to do. Today had been a gloomy day, but at least I got paid. I opened to door to the house at around 10:30 pm and stepped inside. I noticed right away that Jason was lying on the couch. He was probably drunk. All he did was drink. I was surprised he still had a job. I began to make my way towards the stairs.

"Are y-you sleeping with a w-whore?" Jason slurred. I stopped and turned around to look at him. "Excuse me?" I asked. "I s-saw that girl... she's v-very pretty," he said. He then got up and made his way towards me. "First of all, she isn't a whore! And who I hang out with is none of your business!"

Jason clicked his tongue. "Y-You disgust me..... your m-mom should've aborted y-you when she h-had the c-chance," he stuttered. Without even thinking I dropped my bag and punched Jason in the face. He immediately staggered back and brought his hand up to his nose which was bleeding profusely. "You son of a bi-" I punched him again which made him fall onto the floor. "You're so damn lucky I didn't kill you last year!" I yelled at him. He remained on the ground with both of his hands on his nose as the blood came seeping out. "I had that knife in my hand ready to stab you to death, but you know what? I told myself no!" I screamed feeling my eyes water.

"You treat me so badly! If my parents knew you were an alcoholic, they wouldn't have sent me here! They trusted you! They told you and your wife to take care of me just in case something happened to them! You promised them that you would!"

I stood there boiling in anger as I stared at him with hatred. My chest moved up and down violently. I could hear the loud beating of my heart. I then turned around to walk away from the bastard. Suddenly he grabbed onto my leg and pulled me down. Before I knew it, my back was against the floor and Jason's bloody hands were squeezing my neck.

"I could j-just kill you right n-now and no one would even n-notice..." he whispered. I placed my hands on his trying my best to get them off of my neck. I couldn't breathe. He was squeezing tighter and tighter. I turned my head to see a pen lying underneath the couch.

I reached out to grab it. Unfortunately, my fingers only grazed its surface. I pushed myself closer to the couch and was finally able to grab it. I then removed my hand from underneath the couch and stabbed Jason in the side.

"Ahh!" Jason yelled out in pain. He immediately removed his hands from my neck and placed it on the pen, which was still inside him. I pushed him off of me and rolled away so I could catch my breath. I coughed violently still feeling Jason's tight squeeze on my neck.

I watched as he groaned in pain while holding the pen. I needed to get upstairs. I quickly got up and grabbed a knife from the kitchen. "Where do you think you're going?" he yelled at me.

I picked my bag off of the floor and ran up the stairs to my room with my grip tight on the handle of the knife. I instantly closed it and turned the lock. I had to get out of here. Tonight, was the night.

After placing the knife on my bedside table, I threw my bag onto my bed and rushed towards my closet. I pulled out my largest bag which was on the top shelf and threw it onto my bed. I then took out the items that I needed; two sweaters, two pairs of pants, two t-shirts, and two pairs of shorts. I carried them to my bed and stuff them into my bag. I then went back to my closet and grabbed two beanies. After placing them in my bag, I stopped moving trying my best to hear any movement coming from downstairs. It was silent.

I decided to shower before leaving. I had no idea where I was even going so, I knew it was best if I showered now. So I grabbed the knife and entered the bathroom before locking the door. After my shower, I placed my toothbrush, hand sanitizer, first-aid kit, lotion, and two pairs of briefs in my bag. I packed my portable charger and placed my wallet and stash of savings at the bottom of the bag. I think that was it. I was ready to go.

Just as I was about to open my room door, I turned around and walked to my dresser. I removed my parents' picture off of my mirror and placed it into the back pocket of my pants. I then opened my first drawer to remove the flashlight my father gave me when I was younger and placed it in my bag. Now I was ready.

I grabbed the knife from my bed and stepped out of my room. I slowly closed its door and descended down the stairs. I quickly checked the living room to see that Jason was knocked out onto the couch. I looked at his wound to see it bandaged up. I crept away from him and walked to the fridge. I then grabbed two bottles of water and an apple.

After, I walked to the front door and slipped on my shoes. Opening the closet slowly, I grabbed my jacket. I then opened the door and stepped outside. I began to walk away from the house feeling a bit nervous.

"I'm sorry mom and dad," I whispered. I hopped onto the bus and walked to the back. It was empty. Sitting down, I took out my phone feeling fearful of the messages I would get sooner or later. I needed to delete his number. I then realized that it was currently 12 am. Well, happy birthday to me.